Page 1 of 2 1 2
M22 First Impressions (long)
#15863 07/22/03 04:02 AM
cblake Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi everybody,

I'm generally a lurker, and for the last couple weeks I've been scouring the net for opinions on new loudspeakers. Basically I got restless with Paradigm Mini Monitors, partly because my $70 Grado SR60s sound so much better (through a Headroom Little headphone amp). I was looking to go a step up from the Mini Monitors, making the Paradigm Reference Studio 20's a perfect candidate. However, Axiom has been in the back of my mind for a while, and the M22 looked to be good competition for much less money.

So I finally decided to order the M22s with the SS16 speaker stands. Below is a list of my components:

Yamaha CDC-775 5 disc CD changer
Harman Kardon HK 3470 stereo receiver
Velodyne CT-120 subwoofer

Expectations
I was basically looking for a speaker that improves on my Mini Monitors in terms of detail, soundstaging, and overall performance. I expected less bass, which is good because the Paradigm's bass port is so low that it interferes with my subwoofer's bass. I also expected a somewhat similar, slightly bright, tonal balance, and the ability to handle large volumes.

SS16 stands
First, the SS16 stands. I like the look of these, and the base is plenty large for stability. However, when I began constructing them, I discovered that the outer edge of the top cap nut or "flange nut" does not actually fit into the bored-out part of the speaker platform. It's supposed to fit flush to leave a smooth surface for the speakers to rest on, but it just doesn't fit, even with some coaxing from a rubber mallet. So I carved out the circumference of the hole with my leatherman knife, and eventually got the flange to fit. For the 2nd speaker stand, I attempted to tighten the cap nut into place by constructing the stand and tightening from the bottom nut. Bad idea. Instead of pulling the nut into the flush position, it stripped the nice aluminum cap nut. So apparently you must carve out the large-diameter part of the hole before constructing. I created an interim solution after a trip to the hardware store.

Sound impressions
After first plugging in my speakers, I didn't expect them to blow me away before 20+ hours of break in time. However, I immediately recognized the clarity of the midrange and the detailed soundstage. I was unable to do a real listening test at first; with my neighbor at home I couldn't crank up the volume. Nevertheless, even when watching TV at low volumes, the clarity & resolution of the M22s was quickly apparent. In the opening music to a movie, I could clearly hear the reverberant sound from the recording location. Not only are the M22s more electrically sensitive than my Mini Monitors, but much more importantly they transmit more detail, even at low levels. I attribute much of this to the midrange.

Well today I got home and I got my chance to crank it up. First CD: Tom Petty / Wildflowers. I was stunned. Tom Petty's voice has always sounded intimate on this recording, but now he is in my room! The utterly awesome midrange transparency and resolution made me wonder if these speakers could actually improve after break in. While I was initially surprised that the M22s seem to be less bright overall than the Mini Monitors, I did determine fairly quickly that the treble often sounded harsh. Some tracks sounded fine, whereas others really highlighted the upper frequencies and I had to turn down the volume. I expect the treble to smooth out with break in, especially at higher volumes. Still, there is clearly a lot of resolution and a sort of clarity up there, but it's over the top.

Time to kick it up a notch: Queen / Greatest Hits disc 1. Also excellent. My subwoofer blends better with the M22s than the Mini Monitors, though I started to notice that the upper bass is pretty weak. This I also attribute to lack of break in: some bass notes above the subwoofer (~70Hz on my xover setting) are audible but don't have any weight. Then I kick it up another notch with some high-intensity, highly-compressed pop/techno songs. I cranked my receiver to a ridiculous volume, and the Axioms handled it with less sweat than my Paradigms, though the treble harshness was even more apparent.

I started to write this review when I cued up Radiohead / OK Computer. I was so mesmorized that I actually stopped writing, and decided I had to give this my undivided attention. Turned off the computer monitor & all the lights, dimmed the receiver & CD player, sat down in my sweet spot. And listened. I knew this was a good recording, but the intimacy afforded by the Axiom M22 was so tangible that it was almost spooky. And I mean that literally. Tom Yorke's vocals filled the room with a large, seemless soundstage. I was pleased to notice that the vertical dispersion of these speakers is excellent: moving my head up and down several inches, I could barely hear any difference, if at all. Same goes for horizontal dispersion: when walking around the room, the soundstage is much more consistent than with the Mini Monitors. Even sitting 45 degrees off axis, the treble seemed quite coherent.

Summary
Alright well I am extremely impressed with these speakers. Even with no break in, they are clearly a step above my Mini Monitors in almost every way. I can definitely see these being on par with the Reference Studio 40, which I believe is more than double the price, but I have not personally heard those speakers. However, I hope the treble will lose its edginess after break in. I am confident the bass will fill in as well. Oh, and I should mention that Joe from Axiom responded to my problem with SS16 stands within 1 business day, and said he would send me a replacement cap nut for no charge. When I get that part, I will be happy with the stands, though no buyer should have to use a knife to get a piece to fit. I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem.

-Cooper Blake

Re: M22 First Impressions (long)
#15864 07/22/03 05:00 AM
ZeN Offline
veteran
veteran
Excellent write-up! Thanks!

#15865 07/22/03 02:07 PM
veteran
veteran
You must have gotten stands from a bad batch or something. Mine went together with no problems. Nice review on teh M22s. Pretty much my sentiments.

Congrats on the purchase.

Frank

#15866 07/22/03 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cooper, that was a nicely written review.
That's great to hear you've found a sound that you like.
However, the whole speaker break-in thing is a myth. What requires break-in is your own brain, an adjustment to a new sound in comparison to your previous reference.
What you hear now with those M22s is what you will most likely continue to hear in the coming months just not as vibrantly as the first day since your mind becomes more familiar (expecting) of what it hears. Some of the harshness you speak about seems to be something of a character trait of the newer Axiom speakers...they are bright. As you have noticed though, the quality (and sometimes genre) of the music really makes a difference.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#15867 07/22/03 05:00 PM
cblake Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi Chesseroo,

I'm going to disagree with you about speaker break-in. When auditioning 6.5" Paradigm Mini Monitors vs. the 8" Monitor 3s, the 3s actually had less bass! The treble sounded dirty and a bit brighter. It sizzled at certain frequencies, which was bad for the soundstage. It turned out that the Mini Monitors had probably > 100 hours of use, whereas the 3s were almost new. Same receiver & wires.

I actually heard a pleasant change in my CD player after a few weeks: the upper frequencies lost some of the grain and just seemed smoother. Stereophile Magazine writers always let their components break in before doing a serious review, often leaving their stereos playing while they are not at home. Sometimes they comment on the particular break in changes, which are roughly similar to what I am expecting with my M22s.

-Cooper

#15868 07/22/03 06:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Cooper,
Your opinion is obviously well accepted but when it comes to certain long-standing audio myths, i simply cannot resist to point out the lack of evidence for such reasoning.
Rather than bring up a long discussion on it, do a search through these forums for 'break in' and you will find all the material and opinions from some other very knowledgable people that 'haunt' the Axiom forums which has been presented on this topic in previous posts .
Here is a good long discussion for you to peruse.

This forum is also filled with some very informative and far more scientific perspectives on other myths such as expensive cables and biwiring if you are also interested in those topics.

I would ignore alot of the magazine type reviews that you read. They tend to be heavily biased by many many things (money, advertsiing, personal ego, aesthetics, cost, money...).

Hopefully your new M22s will continue to please your personal audio preferences. I very much enjoy my M60s.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#15869 07/22/03 09:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
"I very much enjoy my M60s."

Of course, because they have had adequate break-in time!

#15870 07/22/03 09:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Isn't there a quote from someone at Axiom stating that there really is not any "break-in", atleast with Axioms speakers?

curtis

#15871 07/22/03 09:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Play nice guys.

#15872 07/22/03 10:16 PM
shareholder in the making
what happened to your pic?

#15873 07/22/03 10:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Don't forget, bi-wiring will break them in twice as fast

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#15874 07/22/03 10:24 PM
You mean bi-amping, don't you?

And don't forget to spray your drivers with WD-40 so they don't sieze up on you.

#15875 07/23/03 12:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
oops I did mean bi-amping.

Don't forget to use blue cables to correct overly warm speakers and red to tone down bright speakers. If you're not sure which way to go use Axioms new plaid cables.

getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/ep350/m60/m2200s
#15876 07/23/03 04:35 AM
HGP Offline
old hand
old hand
In reviewing Axiom's position on break-in, it appears as though two hours is recommended. Here's another post by Ian on break-in. And one more by Alan Lofft.

#15877 07/23/03 01:19 PM
aficionado
aficionado
was that a 2 or 3 beer break-in period?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945