X marks the spot..
#16055 07/25/03 12:25 AM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
Avast ye swabs..This be not a tale of pirate ships and buried treasure.. But I'd be rich lad if I had a map that would show where to plant yer mains.. As in speakers, not sails.. Arrrrrrr
---
I have read a number of articles on the critical behavor of the M80's when it comes to placement.. Believe me when I tell you they are all true.. Picky picky picky !!
I have found, lost, and then found again, the SWEET spot for these beauties (beasts?).. I am one that continually fiddles with things, usually doing more damage than good..
Placement for best sound can be a bear, not to mention factoring in asthetics !! Hey, it's got to look good too, right ?
I guess I'm typing this to encourage others to keep working with placement.. Take some time to listen, move it, listen, move it again.. It can be a very rewarding experience..
One word of advice, mark the best spot, before trying another.. I'm telling ya, ya think, "No prob, I can try this and put it right back if it doesn't work".. Haa ! Just an inch one way or the other and you may lose it.. Especially with the larger speakers..
As for the complaints about the harsness of the M80 tweeters, I believe I have solved the problem in my room.. Instead of the Axiom offered resistors, I placed the speakers on top of the subs again.. the increase in height did the trick ! Very smooth sounding now, and I have not lost any of the mid or bottom end..
I'm sure this is a combination of height, separation and the layout of my room, but it did the trick..
As I gained by some floor space in stacking them on the subs, I was also able to move them more laterally !
---
So stow yer grub, batten down the remote, and belay those speaker wires! Stand fast ye scarvy naves, we're comin about..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Re: X marks the spot..
#16056 07/25/03 02:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Hmmm...another bit of evidence supporting my "stands for floorstanders" theory.

Did you find that by lifting the M80's off the floor that the upper bass cleaned up a bit as well. A little clearer/cleaner?

Last edited by spiffnme; 07/25/03 02:03 AM.
#16057 07/25/03 02:54 AM
aficionado
aficionado
same here mikey,i also have my m80s on my subs,and some people say that shouldnt be that way,but it sounds great,as long as the subs are set at the proper level.subwoofer level abuse can kill the overall sound no matter where the sub is.plus,being on the subs,my tweeters are closer in height,wich i prefer,i really think it helps the sound stage a lot.....ron

#16058 07/25/03 02:10 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
It would appear so Spiff.. As I hear it now, the over all sound, top to bottom, seems to be quite a bit more flat.. No spikes or dips.. Again, I'm sure it has a lot to do with what works for 'my' room, but it should/could apply to others.. Having more room on either side now between the Mits and walls plays into this no doubt.. The extra breathing space for the Eighties doesn't hurt one bit..

#16059 07/25/03 02:38 PM
M
MIKEY Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
M
I hear ya Ron.. It's too easy to over do it at either end of the spectrum.. I must admit, I still do not have subs worthy of mention, and as such, have yet to really experiance the complete sounding home theater system.. Even so, I do not hear anything 'bad' added to the M80 sound.. From the results so far, adding quaility subs will just improve the bottom end..
And yes, I too like the added height, bringing the tweeters up a tad over my head now when seated..

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters