Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Crossover Questions
N24color #161926 03/18/07 12:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
N24Color,

If available, you may also want to consider switching the phase switch on your subwoofer and trying that. Please make sure your sub is OFF when you make the change.

ravi_singh #161927 03/18/07 02:20 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

N24Color,

If available, you may also want to consider switching the phase switch on your subwoofer and trying that. Please make sure your sub is OFF when you make the change.

I've never shut either of my subs off when changing the phase switch. No problems as of yet. Am I tempting fate?

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
BobG #161928 03/18/07 02:25 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Quote:

I am confused by the cross-over issue. I understand the basic concept that the processor divides the audio signal and re-directs the low base signal to the sub, and sends only the higher frequency signals to the fronts, center and surrounds. So, the questions looms, if the lower base sounds are taken away from the front tower speakers, why do we even need tower speakers for fronts? What are the towers (80's or 60's, etc.) doing if the crossover is set at 60hz or 80hz?

I do listen to a lot of two channel stereo, so the towers could be useful there, but, couldn't a sub still be used to replace the towers even for stereo listening?

I want to buy the towers, but I am hoping that you guys can convince me that it is not a waste of money.

Great questions which depend very much on your listening habits. If you listened exclusively to HT I would suggest monitors plus subs would be optimal and save yourself the expense of full range speakers. If you listen to at least 50% music in stereo then full range floorstanders are a must, IMO.

When crossing the mains most receivers impose either a 12db or 24db /octave slope to the signal below the crossover point. While some LF sound finds its way to the mains not much is audible one octave below the crossover point , say at 40hz with a 80hz crossover.

For music listening, I've found using monitors with subs doesn't have the same sonic quality of a good full range loudspeaker owing to the greater dynamic range of the full range speaker and their superior built in crossover electronics and phasing. Also depending on your room acoustics and how good you are at blending the subs and mains, there are artifacts created around the crossover point which are more apparent with music than in HT.

So if you are using your system for both music and HT applications a full range main speaker would be a good choice. I have heard only one or two systems where a skilled calibrator was able to optimize monitors with stereo subwoofers that rivalled the dynamic range of floorstanders. For HT only applications, monitors with a capable sub(s)crossed at 80hz or higher, would likely suffice.

John
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020