Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Why do my QS8s sound better than my VP150?
alan #164719 04/12/07 12:59 AM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thank you for the reply Alan.

I actually think I might have a defective VP150 in this case. I am not talking about a subtle timbre change, missing bass output or something requiring a positional change. This is a drastic change in sound quality. I am actually able to make my M80s sound similar to my VP150 by cupping my hands and covering the tweeters....it sounds very much the same. If I put my ears up to the VP150 tweeters during a pink noise test, I could hardly hear them while the M80s and QS8s were very clear sounding. Swapping output channels on the amp did not change this and it was wired correctly.

Shortly after posting the original message to this thread, HT disaster struck. I was experimenting with the volume level of the VP 150 through the menu on the LMC-1. I was standing over my 150 with remote in hand looking down at it. Overall SPL I would say was medium/low - maybe about conversation level in a room. When my volume adjustment hit +10, I heard a pop and saw a flash come out of the LPA. It shut off and I could smell burning electrical. I immediately unplugged my power conditioner from the wall and just sort of stood there staring at my amp in total disbelief.

After this happened I called Axiom and talked to JC. When I described the original problem with the VP150 (pretty much missing highs/anemic tweeter output) he agreed that there must have been something amiss as this wasn't normal for a VP150, that it should sound comparable to the QS8s.

Then being a swing shifter past his bedtime and deeply distraught that my HT basically had just blown up, I went to bed.

And here I am sipping on coffee having just woke up and have the next few days off.

Before going to bed I was sort of ready to ship everything back to Emo and Axiom and just maybe time myself out for a few weeks. 4 months of research led to what looks like a defective VP150, an M80 that was damaged pretty good in shipping, an LPA-1 that just went to electronics heaven...two days of owning the HT and having it blow up on the second day.

Of Note - I am of no means slamming Axiom or Emo. I have read enough forum posts to realize I am what seems to be a VERY rare case. Axiom had shipped a new M80 to replace the damaged one in less than 24 hours. I have no doubt that both Emo and Axiom will give me second to none customer service to resolve all these issues if I choose to do so. It is just that I am a little down and out about this whole situation right now.

...the M80s and QS8s sounded phenomenal before the LPA blew up.

Last edited by bhull; 04/12/07 01:07 AM.
bhull #164720 04/12/07 03:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
My VP100 (and, to a lesser extent, the QS8s) sounds different from my M60s when running receiver test tones but sounds much closer when running real world signals OR a test CD.

As far as I know, the difference results from the fact that the receiver test tones are injected downstream from the bass management, ie the different rolloff frequencies will make a big difference in sound when running test tones BECAUSE the subwoofer is not intercepting and reproducing the lower notes on the center and surrounds.

I'm not 100% sure this is the case but it sure sounds that way. Does anyone know for sure ?

EDIT -- Just to be clear, you may still have a defective VP150. Things like that do happen from time to time. I did find a difference, however, between using receiver-generated pink noise and using pink noise delivered via DVD.

Last edited by bridgman; 04/12/07 03:14 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #164721 04/12/07 03:24 AM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

My VP100 (and, to a lesser extent, the QS8s) sounds different from my M60s when running receiver test tones but sounds much closer when running real world signals OR a test CD.

As far as I know, the difference results from the fact that the receiver test tones are injected downstream from the bass management, ie the different rolloff frequencies will make a big difference in sound when running test tones BECAUSE the subwoofer is not intercepting and reproducing the lower notes on the center and surrounds.

I'm not 100% sure this is the case but it sure sounds that way. Does anyone know for sure ?

EDIT -- Just to be clear, you may still have a defective VP150. Things like that do happen from time to time. I did find a difference, however, between using receiver-generated pink noise and using pink noise delivered via DVD.

Gunshots, voices and other effects were drastically different when they would pan from center to any other speaker. It would loose all its higher dynamic range.

I guess the best way to explain it would be during the matrix lobby scene where the guns were panning to all the speakers. The M80s and QS8s would all sound almost real, the VP150 sounded like I was running it wrapped up in foam in a large cardboard box.

Of course I am dead in the water right now with my amp being fried. I wonder if maybe the amp cooked the speaker's crossover or maybe the speaker has a shorted crossover and cooked the amp. Either way we will never know since both seem to be in less than working order.

bhull #164722 04/12/07 01:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Bhull,

From your description, there is a possibility that your VP150 is faulty. Among the things that can happen (rarely) in shipping are dislodged push-on speaker connectors inside the enclosure. If it were the latter, the driver(s) would either work or not, and you could easily check by removing each driver from the front baffle and ensuring that the connectors are secure. Once in a while the crossover board may develop a crack from blows during shipping and that might lead to intermittent operation of some of the drivers. It's really rare, but it has happened.

There have been reports of channel failures and shutdowns of Emotiva amps on these boards and elsewhere, and I have one acknowledgment from a professional engineer and reviewer that the Emotiva amps have had "issues" with channel failures in the past.

If you return the VP150 (arrange that with JC), we can do a forensic examination at our lab and determine if there was an inherent problem with the drivers and/or crossover.

I really regret you've experienced this with your first home theater system and I assure you Axiom will set things right at no cost to you.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #164723 04/12/07 05:06 PM
local
local
Amazing how a company can (if they choose to) turn a very big negative into ultimately a big positive. It really is unfortunate it had to happen, but if humans are involved at any level there is always a chance, however small, that bad things can occur beyond anyone's real control.

I'm sure you will be ultimately very very happy with your VP150 and your axiom HT experience in the near future.

Hope things go well with the receiver. That is some serious A/V bad luck to have happen all at once.

Last edited by KC23; 04/12/07 05:07 PM.
alan #164724 04/12/07 08:10 PM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

Bhull,

From your description, there is a possibility that your VP150 is faulty. Among the things that can happen (rarely) in shipping are dislodged push-on speaker connectors inside the enclosure. If it were the latter, the driver(s) would either work or not, and you could easily check by removing each driver from the front baffle and ensuring that the connectors are secure. Once in a while the crossover board may develop a crack from blows during shipping and that might lead to intermittent operation of some of the drivers. It's really rare, but it has happened.

There have been reports of channel failures and shutdowns of Emotiva amps on these boards and elsewhere, and I have one acknowledgment from a professional engineer and reviewer that the Emotiva amps have had "issues" with channel failures in the past.

If you return the VP150 (arrange that with JC), we can do a forensic examination at our lab and determine if there was an inherent problem with the drivers and/or crossover.

I really regret you've experienced this with your first home theater system and I assure you Axiom will set things right at no cost to you.

Regards,

Alan, again thank you for chiming in.

I just had to walk away from it for a day. I am not going to return everything and listen to movies through my 10 year old Aiwa bookshelf system again...the M80s already spoiled me in the short time I was able to listen to them

I got off the phone with Lonnie from Emo a little bit ago. He assured me that even a dead short on the speaker output terminals should not have killed an LPA-1. He thinks some component inside was defective. They are shipping a new amp out tommarow and emailing me a shipping label for the old one. So hats off on them living up to their customer service reputation.

After finishing this reply I will call JC and get a new center channel shipped.

I actually just now got off the phone with a buddy talking about this whole situation. Looking at this with fresh eyes I think the shipping company is what really did a number on my gear. The EMO boxes by coincidence showed up on the same day as the speakers on the same truck. And what do we have, 7 boxes arrived, 1 M80 box had a good size hole in the side of it, but that speaker had no obvious damage, the other M80 had no obvious damage on the box, but the corner of the cabinet looked like someone dropped the thing from several feet up, the VP150 is defective from what might have been rough handling in shipping, and the LPA-1 blew up. Hmmm, 7 boxes from 2 different companies....all arriving on the same truck....yeah I think I can attribute all this to mishandling and it is unfortunate that Axiom and Emo will have to take a hit on shipping costs and warranty replacement because some careless worker threw my stuff around....I am being a little speculative here, but it just seems to be too much of a coincidence.

In any case, both companies have been SUPER cool in dealing with all this...and I think they have earned a customer for life...you know most places want you to sent a product back first and they have to have it in hand before sending you a new one...Emo and Axiom don't do this...There is another M80 in the mail right now, an LPA will be in the mail tommarow and if Axiom performs again like they did with the M80, there should be another VP150 in the mail within 24 hours.

bhull #164725 04/12/07 08:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It is good to hear that you are being taken care of. My hat is off to Axiom and Emotiva for resolving these matters.

Now onto more important things...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

richeydog #164726 04/12/07 09:09 PM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Quote:

LOL, ok here you go

Here is the damaged box, this speaker has no obvious damage to it despite the hole

And here are a few pics of the other M80 which had a number done on it. The first one was before I took the bag off. You can see the top left where the bag is punctured through.

On this last one, I put a small piece of the veneer on the top of the speaker.

bhull #164727 04/12/07 09:40 PM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I just re-inspected the box of the damaged speaker and found this on the bottom.. Now the M80s were packed updside down, so you open the top of the box, flip it over and pull the box off and you have a right side up speaker.

And here is the foam.

Without a doubt this thing was dropped or impacted very hard in shipping. God only knows what the rest of my gear experienced.

bhull #164728 04/12/07 09:53 PM
bhull Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
And last but not least, the VP150 box

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16