Now summer is approaching what is everyone smoking
#167069 04/30/07 06:49 PM
K
kryolla Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
K
LOL I thought that would get everyone attention. I just bought an electric smoker and so far used it for salmon and ribs. Anyone have any recipes or ideas on what else I can smoke this summer. Thanks

Drew

M22 mains, M3 center, outlaw 1070 receiver, 42" Plasma, A2 HD DVD, Dual SVS PB10-NSD
Re: Now summer is approaching what is everyone smo
kryolla #167070 04/30/07 06:51 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Cubans.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #167071 04/30/07 07:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Come back and see Tom again, he's here all week. Don't forget there's a two drink minimum, and please tip generously to your wait staff. Hey, try the prime rib!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #167072 04/30/07 08:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I keep telling my family that "I'm a funny guy".

My daughter says "looks don't count".

Can we increase the drink minimum?

kryolla #167073 04/30/07 08:10 PM
F
old hand
old hand
F
One of our favorites is a pork butt roast..often labeled as a pork shoulder blade roast. The recipe we use:

Barbecued Pork Butt

5-6 lb. Pork Butt untrimmed and bone-in
French’s mustard as needed

Rub

1 Tbsp. salt
¼ Cup sugar
2 Tbsp each: brown sugar, cumin, chili powder ( good powder not store bought)
1 Tbsp. Black pepper
1 Tbsp. Cayenne
¼ Cup Paprika
1 Tsp. Ground ginger
1 Tsp. Allspice
½ Tsp. Ground cloves

The Rest

Apple juice, bourbon or ale for spraying
Sauce for mopping and dipping
Sauce for mixing with cooked meat

Slather French’s mustard liberally all over the meat. Sprinkle generously with BBQ rub and let sit two hours to come to room temperature and become tacky. In the smoking process, this tacky coating becomes the pork butt’s flavorsome exterior.

Start smoker; get coals going and ashed over. Put in drip pan lined with foil. But no liquid. Get smoker temp to about 225 F or 110 C. I have also done this on my gas grill with a smoker box. Place pork butt on top rack. Keep temperature steady at 200-225 F adding apple wood, pecan or both every hour or so, and new coals when needed.

Smoke butt about 1 ½ to 2 hours per pound or until it registers 180 to 200F on a meat thermometer. Turn butt once about halfway through. It will generally be done in six to seven hours, depending on the heat of the smoker and weather the butt is boned.

In the last two hours spray meat liberally with apple juice and maple juice (or beer) turning and spraying a couple of times. In the last hour mop butt with Ron’s dipping sauce thinned a bit with apple juice or beer.

Once butt is removed from smoker, let it sit under a foil tent for 15-30 minutes. Pull meat apart with two forks. It should shred easily, if not slice and chop.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Greg

framer2180 #167074 04/30/07 08:21 PM
shareholder in the making
There's nothin' like the carbonized-hardwood-particulate-matter-infused ass of a swine, I always say.

Don't think about the chemistry and it's all good.

framer2180 #167075 04/30/07 08:30 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very cool, Greg. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Geez, Peter, don't be such a buzzkill

pmbuko #167076 04/30/07 08:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You forgot to mention the increased risk of stomach cancer. Dig in!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #167077 04/30/07 09:11 PM
veteran
veteran
"Carcinogen" is just another word for "Yummmm!"

tomtuttle #167078 05/01/07 12:03 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

I keep telling my family that "I'm a funny guy".

My daughter says "looks don't count".

Can we increase the drink minimum?

I should feel bad for laughing so hard.

Thanks Tom!

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
zhimbo #167079 05/01/07 01:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

"Carcinogen" is just another word for "Yummmm!"

And don't you know it!!

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #167080 05/01/07 02:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Damn!!
What a buzz kill.

LIFE IS SHORT.
DON'T BE A DICK.
medic8r #167081 05/01/07 02:10 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Yeah, I'll be enjoying my stir-fried tofu and organic vegetables all sum....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Not in this lifetime:

1 beef brisket, untrimmed, 7-10Lbs
Quarter cup or so of kosher salt
Half cup or so of home-made chili powder (it's easy, buy some dried chilies of various "heat," cut the stem end, shake out the seeds, snip the chilies into 1/4" strips, run them through a coffee grinder or like device until powdery. Wear gloves while doing this).
1Tbl freshly toasted and ground cumin
Say a couple of teaspoons each fresh ground white and black pepper
2 Tbl dark smoked Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup light or dark brown sugar.

Plus you can add garlic powder, onion powder, Chinese 5-spice powder (be careful! This will overpower everything else! 1 or 2 tsp. at most should do it) lemon zest, etc. Play around.

Mix with a fork and rub very liberally on the entire hunk o' meat. Really rub it in. Put the brisket in a plastic garbage bag and place in the fridge over night or at least 8 hours.

Next day, take the brisket out of the fridge and hour ahead then smoke it FAT SIDE UP at 225F with apple, oak, or hickory chips for 8 hours-ish or until tender enough to cut with a dull spoon. If you really want to do it up and can control the temp accurately (put an oven thermometer in the rack where the meat sits, that is the the air you want to measure; the built-in thermometer up top will not tell you what you want to know) start it 18 hours before you want it done and raise the temp thusly:

1st 6 hours: 160F
Next 3 hours: 175F
Next 3 hours 190F
Next 3 hours: 210F
Last 3 hours: 220F

Remove from rack and lightly tent in tinfoil for 15 minutes. Slice and serve.

A note on smoking: When using an electric, charcoal, or gas smoker or BBQ and adding the chips or chunks of wood, you only need to do this for the first couple of hours. If you keep throwing chips on the entire time you can get a very unpleasant buildup of chemicals on the meat that will ruin it (essentially creosote). Plus, the smoke will only penetrate so far in the first place. When using a purpose-built hardwood "smoker" you don't actually want a lot of smoke, since visible smoke has a lot of moisture and deposits the crud on the meat. That's why we burn the wood to coal in a fire pit then toss it into the fire box. I do burn a log or 2 in the firebox at the beginning though.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
framer2180 #167082 05/01/07 02:18 AM
aficionado
aficionado

Framer-

Great recipe! Have you tried raising the temp and covering the butt in honey for the last hour or so?

Also I love my butt on a bun with coleslaw (I know, it's just too easy. I also love telling my friends how much I enjoyed rubbing my butt or rubbing my meat the night before). Try traditional coleslaw or Carolina style which might be a little piquant for some (yellow mustard, hot pepper flakes, and vinegar).

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #167083 05/01/07 11:04 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Yes, with setup lines like those, you could easily get a job as a straight man.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Re: Now summer is approaching what is everyone smoking
kryolla #167084 05/01/07 01:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The two most popular "smokees" (you have the smoker and the smokee, right ?) are turkey and your run of the mill "pull it out of the lake" fish, typically whitefish or similar.

Has anyone played with those newfangled "digital smokers" which have a little power auger to drop coals in at a predictable rate so you can sleep at night ?

>>pork butt roast..often labeled as a pork shoulder blade roast

This is a useful piece of information which may reduce the number of funny looks I get at supermarkets. Thank you !!

Last edited by bridgman; 05/01/07 01:02 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
kryolla #167085 05/01/07 02:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
All,

Here is a recipe that I scavanged one time (I did not write it) that would probably work well in a smoker / grill (to add to the flavor of the recipe)...takes a bit of time but well worth it!

Begin Recipe

Robert Rodriguez' Puerco Pibil (or Cochinita Pibil) from Once Upon a Time in Mexico

"Are you a MexiCAN, or are you a MexiCAN'T?" If you're a MexiCAN, follow these instructions closely:

I've taken the liberty of transcribing Robert Rodriguez' recipe from his "10 Minute Cooking School" Featurette from the Once Upon a Time in Mexico DVD. It looks mouthwatering, and I can't wait to make it. As soon as I saw it, I thought about this forum.

Clean up the kitchen, fellow SpoTTies.

You'll need:

3-5 lbs. of pork butt
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 cup of white vinegar
Banana leaves (usually found at mexican and asian markets)
5 tablespoons of annatto seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seed
5 lemons
1 tablespoon black pepper
8 allspice nuggets
2 habanero peppers
1/2 teaspoon of cloves
2 tablespoons of salt
8 cloves of garlic
Tequila. Lots of Tequila. Mmmm.
Casserole pan
Aluminum Foil
1 Big-[censored] ziploc bag
a coffee grinder
a blender

Now, Rodriguez suggests you buy a separate coffee grinder to mix the raw seasonings, so not to cross-pollinate your spices with your coffee.

So...throw the annatto seeds, the cumin, the pepper, the cloves and the allspice into the coffee grinder and grind it into a super-fine, powdery dust. You'll combine it with some other stuff later to create Achiote Paste. Don't ask; keep reading.

Anyway, so you grind all that up until it's like drywall dust. Then dump it in the blender.

Chop up the habaneros, and be careful to remove the seeds and veins--unless you are SERIOUSLY down with super-spicy HEAT.

Then add the OJ, the vinegar, the juice from the five lemons, the salt, the garlic, and the chopped up habaneros into the blender as well, and add a "splash of the finest tequila you can find." Blend. Blend some more. Check it closely. This is your achiote paste. Blend some more, just in case. You don't want any chunks of this stuff lingering in your mouth.

Grab your pork butt (hehehe...that was completely accidental) and HACK it into 2" cubes--preferably with a machete, for that authentic Yucatan atmosphere. Dump the cubes into the "big-[censored] ziploc bag."

Dump in your achiote paste, and do the shake n' bake, without the baking part...yet. Just make sure the meat is completely marinating. Rodriguez doesn't say for how long, so I'm guessing 2-4 hours minimum. Correct me if you know better. I haven't made this yet.

Now, grab your banana leaves (hopefully they're fresh--more moisture), and line your casserole pan about three layers deep.

Dump your achiote paste-saturated pig butt into the pan. put more banana leaves on top, and wrap that spicy meat all up in those big 'ol leaves. Then SEAL the entire casserole pan up with aluminum foil to lock in all the moisture. That's what cooks the pork.

Get a friend to help you lug all that dead meat on over to an oven you've pre-heated to 325 degrees, and heft it in. Close that door and go watch dvds for four hours. If there's any tequila left, take that with you.

Rodriguez pulled this stuff out, and it looked just melt-in-your-mouth kinda good. Serve it over a bed of rice, and hey--anything else you want to serve with it."

End Recipe

I have made this before and it is exquisite...the achiote paste has a unique flavor but it very, very good. You can probably substitute a different cut of pork...may try it on a tenderloin.

Give it a shot and let us all know how it comes out...

Disclaimer: Kids will probably definately NOT like this...

Enjoy.

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
WhatFurrer #167086 05/01/07 04:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
It is also known as a "Boston Butt." Some people smoke the whole shoulder which is made up of the butt and the picnic roast. A whole shoulder can be pretty massive. I usually stick to the butt (again, it's just too easy).

Whatfurrer- that looks like a fantastic recipe. I'll have to try it. Later this summer a couple of the fellas and I are going to try a whole pig. Apparently a rental place in town here has a rig with a motorized spit and a charcoal tray below. I wanted to dig a pit and roast the porker under ground but WAF insinuates itself everywhere.

kryolla #167087 05/01/07 06:51 PM
K
kryolla Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
K
A lot of great ideas which I printed out and put it in her recipe folder. My wife likes the smoker which means less cooking she has to do, which I dont get since we eat out most of the time.

M22 mains, M3 center, outlaw 1070 receiver, 42" Plasma, A2 HD DVD, Dual SVS PB10-NSD
kryolla #167088 05/06/07 02:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
So... my cheapo gas bbq finally disintegrated and I'm in the market for something new. The smoking happens at by brother-in-law Rob's (the far away one, not the close one ) and Rob does all the smoking, I just do the eating.

I figure it's time to start pulling my weight. I've pretty much narrowed the selection down to a Weber bullet smoker or a Weber charcoal kettle (either the "Gold" or the "Performer" with propane lighter thingy).

The only argument for the Performer vs. a regular kettle + chimney is that in theory the Weber kettles are sufficiently airtight that you can close all the vents and have the charcoal stop burning, leaving it ready for use next time. If the charcoal is *already* in the kettle then having a built-in lighter seems like a good idea and a real convenience -- but if I had to start from scratch with new charcoal every time then a chimney would really be just as convenient and all I'm getting for the extra $$ is a cart, table and charcoal bin.

Note that in the US a Performer costs almost 3x a regular kettle, while in Canada the prices are closer, more like 2x -- presumably there is a relatively fixed transportation cost applicable to both.

The bigger question, though, is "smoker or kettle ?". I figure maybe 2/3 of my usage will be "low + slow" but it would be nice to be able to grill the occasional burger, sausage or steak.

It sounds like at least a few of you are running charcoal smokers. Is anyone running a Weber bullet (WSM) and if so do you ever use it for occasional grilling ? There is a brief blurb on grilling with a WSM at the virtualweberbullet site but it involves rebuilding the pieces in a different order and I'm not sure how stable their recommended arrangement is.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167089 05/06/07 05:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Did some more reading and it looks like summertime smoking in a Weber kettle works just fine, although you might have to check on it more frequently. Wintertime is what I'm not so sure about -- the WSM bullet seems to have thicker walls and is reported to work well in the winter while the kettles seem to be iffy for anything except grilling (where you can have a full bed of coals). I think the fact that the WSM can run with a full basket of coals even when smoking might be part of the difference.

I guess the real answer is something like this :

http://www.bbqs.com/cart_admin?func=viewProduct&wid=78&cid=1047&pid=1256

1/4" steel walls, 350 pounds...

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167090 05/06/07 06:59 PM
buff
buff
That's the bbq I have. I have been using it for about 5 years. Got away from gas grills and never looked back. My parents keep bringing up something about carcinogens from the briquettes but I just dont want to go back to gas.

M22's M60's VP150 QS8's EP350 Yamaha RX-V2700 Yamaha YP-D71
Ohmen #167091 05/06/07 07:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Every article I read says that the real health dangers come from animal fats at extremely high temperatures, whether those high temperatures come from charcoal or from gas.

"Low and slow" barbecueing and smoking seem to be much less of a risk, unless you REALLY get carried away with the smoke.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/06/07 07:11 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167092 05/07/07 05:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I think the Weber kettles are a great value and very versatile. I have smoked everything from turkeys to briskets in a 22.5" Webber, using the indirect method. I don't know that I would pay for the propane starter model.

LightninJoe #167093 05/10/07 04:17 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks... that helped me make the final decision. I ended up going with a 22-1/2" kettle but at the last minute decided to get the Performer with the cart and gas lighter. Here's how I figured it :

22-1/2" gold kettle - 190 CDN
chimney starter - 30 CDN (don't need with Performer)
mod to add a thermometer in lid - 20 CDN (included)
baskets for coals - 30 CDN (included)

I'm already up to $270 CDN, so the extra $130 for a Performer doesn't seem too bad considering you get :

- a nice, really well built cart and work surface
- convenience of not having to take partially burned briquettes out to relight them
- very convenient lid holder
- thermometer already built into lid (no modding)

Everything you get for the $$ is convenience, of course -- it won't cook any differently from a Silver kettle -- but if the convenience lets me use it more often then I figure it's a good investment (carcinogens notwithstanding).

I picked it up after work today and assembled it as soon as I got home.

Tossed on a bag of chicken leg quarters (smear on some jerk seasoning, sear for a few minutes on each side over the coals, then indirect heat over a drip pan for an hour turning every 15 mins), which should be done... now.

Gotta go

EDIT -- Dang, that was good. I guess the charcoal adds a bit of smoke flavour even if you haven't added any smoke wood. The outer part of the chicken had a nice red/pink smoke tinge and the meat was really tasty even though I didn't have time to marinade at all.

Close the vents, charcoal seems to go out. Fire up the gas starter, charcoal gets going again. I like it.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/10/07 04:37 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
kryolla #167094 05/10/07 02:38 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.

Made on a Mac
vassillios #167095 05/19/07 04:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm starting to notice that some boards have a set of very specialized smileys. Here's one I found on a site dedicated to the Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) cooker, aka the bullet.

We need some good Axiom-specific or HT-specific smileys. Any ideas ?

BTW I'm trying my first "top down burn" aka Minion Method cook on the Weber today. With briquettes a few people have managed to get 13+ hour burns and relatively stable temperatures without having to add fuel. I stuck a couple of firebricks into the Performer to divide it in half, filled one side up with lump charcoal then dropped some lit briquettes on top.

Here's a pic while I was getting it started -- the small pile of coals in front is over the Performer's built-in gas ligher, and the big pile of coals in the back is unlit.

After the small pile of coals got started I dropped them on top of the unlit pile then added foil and drip pan where the small pile of coals was in the picture. Added a water pan over the coals and 3.5 pound pork sirloin over the drip pan and it's been going for a couple of hours at a rock-solid 275F.

I've never used lump charcoal before so I'm guessing I'll only get 5-6 hours before having to refuel. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by bridgman; 05/19/07 04:13 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167096 05/21/07 11:25 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yeah lump 'coal burns hotter and faster than briquettes. Mass is your friend when it comes to heat regulation. I always have a few bricks here and there in my rig.

I have taken a lot of heat (NPI) for occasionally using water/beer pans instead of dry drip pans when I do my thing. Some of the fellas are real purists about this stuff. While it does cause some contamination due to the vapor trapping smoke particles it really helps with large, lean cuts like whole pork loins.

LightninJoe #167097 06/02/07 11:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I know it's been done to death, but not by me.

Beer can chicken and BBQ'ed cabbage :

Both cooked indirect for about 1-1/4 hrs, lid temp 325-350. Chicken was extremely good, but cabbage wasn't quite cooked enough and probably needed another 1/2 hr.

Last edited by bridgman; 06/02/07 11:49 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167098 06/03/07 02:02 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That is my favorite way to cook chicken.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

bridgman #167099 06/03/07 02:51 AM
M
M
What's that thing that you killed with a toothpick?

Mojo #167100 06/03/07 03:53 AM
I'm not sure I want to know.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Mojo #167101 06/03/07 12:24 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That is an Atomic Buffalo Turd, known in polite company as an "ABT". Type it into Google if you don't believe me.

- Split a jalapeno in half lengthwise, cut off stem & remove some or all of the veins & seeds

- Fill with a small block of cream cheese plus some smoked meat or sausage

- Smear with hot jerk seasoning (recipe says mix cayenne into the cream cheese)

- Wrap with 1/2 strip of bacon, kill with toothpick

- Cook with indirect heat or smoke for 30-45 minutes or until bacon is cooked. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy

Nutritionally the best thing I can say for them is that they appear to be compatible with the Atkins diet. Taste-wise there are many good things to say about them, assuming you enjoy spicy food. These are apparently a popular finger food on the competition bbq circuit.

Replacing jalapeno with habanero gets you an Atomic Dragon Turd. I imagine you could skip the cayenne pepper.

NOTE - sometimes ABTs are made in a "vertical" format (see link). I haven't tried this -- seems too unstable on the grill :

ABTs standing on their hind legs

Last edited by bridgman; 06/03/07 12:49 PM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167102 06/03/07 02:19 PM
I love beer can chicken. Best way to get rid of bad beer after someone brings it to a party.

Last edited by pmbuko; 06/03/07 02:19 PM.
pmbuko #167103 06/03/07 03:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
What do you do with all the chicken ? Most bad beer comes in 24 packs and nobody drinks any at the party

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167104 06/03/07 06:41 PM
Is there any canned beer that's actually decent?

pmbuko #167105 06/03/07 07:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Of course -- there's.... just a minute... might have to get back to you on that. Maybe Guinness ?

Sapporo is pretty good but the can is about the right size for an 18-20 pound turkey. I normally buy Molson Export when I need something in cans -- Molson Canadian was our traditional camping beer for 25 years but it tasted like dishwater (for 25 years ) so we replaced it with 5 liter cans of Grolsch.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167106 06/04/07 02:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Beer Chicken = Goooood!

I live in a province where, believe it or not, canned carbonated beverages are still outlawed. It's actually a big deal to bring back canned beer when you go to the mainland.

Still, I don't like canned beer. Except for Guinness. That widget thing invention really does make it taste like the real thing straight from the keg. Bottled Guinness is just awful.

I am the proud owner of a Molsen Canadian Dancing Beer can though.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #167107 06/04/07 03:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Quote:

canned carbonated beverages are still outlawed

Good grief. What's the premise?

I agree with Murph about the widget; it really helps where available (I like the Boddingtons).

I've found that Heineken is also consistently better in cans than in bottles. But, well, you know, Beer Thread.

We went to Korean BBQ last night with some friends. That's some good eating, right there. It's really "grilling", but I discovered cucumbers bathed in chile/garlic sauce. Oh yeah.

tomtuttle #167108 06/05/07 06:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

canned carbonated beverages are still outlawed

Good grief. What's the premise?

I remember when they announcement when I was a little kid, the government was going to get rid of all the cans littering the streets and roadsides by banning them all together in favor of returnable bottles.

I also think people were complaining of all the noise from kids stepping on them just so, and they would then clamp on to their sneakers and clomp around the streets like a robot.

Of course, for many years now we have been recycling cans so it's a big non issue but the two bigger local bottling companies kept enough pressure on the government to keep the law in place so they wouldn't have to spend money converting their operation over to compete with a flood of cheaper cans from mainland companies.

The Gov. was finally going to drop the ban this year but they just lost an election so I guess we will stay in the stone age a bit longer. As said, I don't really mind. The difference in the way pop carbonates in a bottle verses a can actually gives it a differnt taste, which I prefer.

Murph #167109 06/17/07 11:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tonight I'm smoking beef ribs for the first time. My first thought is "where have you been all my life ?"

These are the brontosaurus ribs I remember seeing on the Flintstones as a kid. Half the price of pork spareribs, which in turn are half the price of baby back ribs, and at first glance they seem to be extremely good cuts of meat. Obviously a lot of that weight is bone, but 7 ribs / 4 pounds is my idea of a barbeque !!

It's turning out to be surprisingly easy to get a 6 hour burn on a single basket of coals using the "Minion Method". Best practice so far seems to be a Weber basket of tightly packed lump with a dozen or so lit briquettes on top plus a couple of chunks of smoke wood. Lid temperature has been solid at 250F for a couple of hours now.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167110 06/18/07 12:21 AM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

I normally buy Molson Export when I need something in cans -- .

I have been a "ex" drinker for more than 25 years.. I really have to get over to your place soon ... I always use cans of Molson Export to make my "beer can chicken" and even people who still shake they heads at me cause I still drink "ex" swear it makes the best beer can chicken! You will always find a cooler full of ice and "ex" near me on any camping trip! There's a dozen or so in the fridge now ..

Avdude

Pio VSX1018,LPA-1,M60,M3,Qs8,Vp150,HSU VTF3,,Pio 5080,PS3..
avdude #167111 06/24/07 04:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
OK, so the beef ribs were a disappointment. The cook itself went well (6-1/2 hours or so) but there was essentially no meat on the ribs, just fat. I put enough rub on for meaty ribs, so the few little scraps of meat were way too salty.

Oh well.

Did a practice cook of some pork spareribs this afternoon trying out a new technique for long cooks on the Weber -- alternating between the two baskets so I can do top-down burns and run for 3-6 hours unattended instead of adding a few lumps of charcoal every hour.

Some people are getting 12-13 hour burns on a single load of charcoal by filling up one whole side of the bbq and doing a top down burn with that, but if all the coals light (it happens) you go from 250 to 400F in a flash and there's not much to be done other than shut all the vents and hope it goes out soon.

The spares worked out great -- certainly the best ribs I have ever cooked -- and now I'm 1/2 hour into my first smoked brisket. Roughly 8 pounds after trimming, covered in BRITU rub and sitting awkwardly in a foil pan two sizes too small 'cause everything I read says you gotta use a foil pan if you don't have a water smoker or offset smoker.

The pan is supposed to prevent shrinkage, but if the brisket doesn't shrink a lot it ain't gonna fit in the pan.

Fingers crossed. Time to check the temps then get my first hour or two of sleep.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167112 06/24/07 05:30 AM
Beef ribs are hard. I've had the same experience as you once, charcoalized another set, and I think I've managed to do them properly once. I'm still learning my new grill, so I'm not going to try them again just yet... especially considering how well my father in law does them.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #167113 06/24/07 12:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting. I initially assumed the problem was technique (or lack thereof) but I couldn't explain how cooking technique could explain what I was seeing. The beef ribs I cooked were nothing but fat with occasional bits of very tasty (but salty) meat.

Sounds like overcooking is something to watch out for with beef ribs ?

It might be worth finding out where your father in law buys his meat.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167114 06/24/07 02:26 PM
Near Santa Maria. ;-) And some of the ribs I did were bought by him...

Ken.C #167115 06/24/07 07:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You guys have inspired me. I've decided it is time to make ribs for the first time this season. I don't smoke them, but they are the only food I make that I can say the way they are done is the best I have ever had.

I make my own BBQ sauce first. That is simmering as I type this. Then I will take four lbs of baby backs and marinade them, wrap them in foil, and put them in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow they go in the oven at a low temp for 2-2.5 hrs, then they come out and go on the grill for a couple of minutes per side. They just fall right off the bone...soooo good.

I won't even mind how unhealthy they are, since my wife wants to just make a big fruit salad for dinner tonight. Tonight's healthiness will balance out the yummy ribs tomorrow night!

Zarak #167116 06/24/07 07:25 PM
Getting slightly off topic (is grilling ok here?), one of my favorite things to grill is artichokes. Here's the recipe I use.

Corn is also killer on the grill.

Ken.C #167117 06/24/07 09:11 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Do you grill the corn in the cob, wrap it in foil, add salt/butter in the foil?

I've had mixed success with corn, but I did buy corn on the cob to go with the ribs tomorrow night, so if someone has a good way to do corn on the grill I'll give it another shot.

Zarak #167118 06/24/07 10:03 PM
I get corn with the whole husk on. Peel back (not off!) the husk, cover the corn with butter, and replace the husk. Tie the tops of the husk together weith twine so the don't peel back. Soak them in a pan of water for about 30 minutes. Grill on the main rack of the grill. Grill for awhile. (10-20 minutes?) I usually just take them off when everything else is done. The husks shouldn't catch fire, but the ends will blacken and smoke nicely.

This has never failed me (famous last words...)

Ken.C #167119 06/25/07 02:02 AM
My best recipe for corn on the grill:

Buy corn in the husk and remove just the outermost leaves.
Carefully peel back the remaining leaves and remove the silk.
Drizzle olive oil over the corn.
Sprinkle salt and chipotle powder on the corn.
Rub the mixture over the corn to coat evenly.
Put the husks back over the corn and grill for a total of about 5 minutes, rotating every minute or so.

The husks will retain the moisture and flavor and help cook the corn faster.

pmbuko #167120 06/25/07 06:21 AM
I've avoided putting salt on the corn until after cooking, because I'm afraid it might make the kernels tough. Apparently, this fear is unfounded...

Ken.C #167121 06/25/07 02:42 PM
Don't go crazy with the salt, just a "sprinkling" (for the May Queen)...

pmbuko #167122 06/25/07 10:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm trying your method KC. They are soaking in water now. I don't have twine to tie the ends on though, I'll just have to try to keep it on as best I can.

Zarak #167123 06/26/07 12:57 AM
Quote:

I don't have twine to tie the ends on though, I'll just have to try to keep it on as best I can.

Oh, Duct Tape. Is there nothing you can't do?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #167124 06/26/07 12:23 PM
Anyone heard the Duct Tape Madrigal? It's published on the first Car Talk Car Songs CD. Fantastic stuff. I'll have to look up the guy's website--I owe him a CD purchase...

bridgman #167125 06/30/07 08:05 PM
M
M
Bridgman,

I've got me some cabbage. What do I do? Just wrap some foil on its bottom and throw it on the barbie for 1.75 hours? Do I need to dress it up at all?

Mojo #167126 06/30/07 10:47 PM
M
M
Alright. There it is. By the way the rub consists of lemon zest, rosemary, paprika, salt, thyme & pepper. I drowned garlic, rosemary sprigs, red pepper flakes, oilve oil, lemon juice & thyme in the beer. Pour the lemon juice in slowly or you'll have a geyser on your hands.

Now I have to throw on some of Peter's corn. My wife will be so pleased when she gets home from work. Yes, I am practicing to be a homedad .

Mojo #167127 06/30/07 11:35 PM
M
M
That cabbage smells absolutely wonderful. And there's the corn adorned with the olive oil/chipotle powder conconction. And my wife is just pulling up in the driveway. I'll get bonus points for this .

Mojo #167128 07/01/07 12:49 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry about the late response. The recipe I used involved inverting the cabbage, carving out the core leaving a cone-shaped opening, using a foil ring to hold the cabbage upside-down, then filling the opening with a mixture of bacon, butter cubes and bbq sauce. I would not use that recipe again -- my guess is that just cooking it plain would be better.

The recipe did call for brushing the outside of the cabbage with bacon grease, which I forgot to do so can't comment on the result.

Looks like a great meal.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/01/07 12:52 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
Mojo #167129 07/01/07 12:59 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

What time is dinner? Looking at the pics it's hard to tell but did you stuff a potatoe in the top of the bird to seal it up?

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #167130 07/01/07 01:16 AM
M
M
No Wid, I didn't stuff anything in but that's a great idea. I wonder it it would go BOOM .

John, that stuffing sounds absolutely nuts . I did it plain and even though the outside was blackened, the inside was like a marshmallow. It flaked beautifully. I then put fresh lemon juice and olive oil on top of it and tossed it real good. Yum.

The chipotle corn was amazing. That's the only way I'll do corn from now on.

The rosemary/garlic/beer/thyme-infused chicken was very tender and extremely tasty. The tall beer can really helped at keeping it elevated high above the flames and I had no issues with stability. Here's the recipe I used by the way.

Now I have to find me a recipe for BBQd crab legs for tomorrow.

Mojo #167131 07/01/07 03:01 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I use a stand like this for my beer can chicken. No worries about it toppling over.

Rick

bridgman #167132 07/01/07 04:27 AM
F
old hand
old hand
F
The thing is, a little bacon grease makes anything in the barbecue taste better,,,it's the universal seasoning.

framer2180 #167133 07/01/07 04:28 PM
My grandma makes a fantastic cooked shredded beet side dish that has bacon grease in it. One of the best uses of beets, next to barscz and chlodnik (hot and cold beet soup, respectively, for the non-slavik among us).

pmbuko #167134 07/01/07 05:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ahh, shredded BEET.

First time I read this as "shredded beef with bacon grease", which seemed excessive even to me.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167135 07/02/07 01:20 AM
M
M
Yesterday it was turf. Today it was surf. The face-huggers were just awesome .

Mojo #167136 07/02/07 01:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
>>John, that stuffing sounds absolutely nuts

Steve Raichlen, "How to Grill", page 357. Even worse, in the same way that one buys an LP (er... I mean CD) because they heard a song they liked, I opened the book up in the store to "How to Barbecue Cabbage", thought "what a cool idea", and bought the book.

EDIT -- hey, I never saw a serious seafood meal on a barbeque before. Good show !

Last edited by bridgman; 07/02/07 02:14 AM.

M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
bridgman #167137 07/02/07 01:43 AM
M
M
Does it have any recipes for BBQing green onions? I brush them with olive oil, rosemary and garlic and they turn out really sweet and tasty.

Mojo #167138 07/08/07 08:25 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Here is my first attempt at smoking spare ribs. I used a simple Kansas City dry rub and let them marinate over night.

They should be done shortly but from the test taste I tried I expect really good results.

Rick

Wid #167139 07/08/07 08:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Looks good, Rick! I just ate lunch, but looking at those ribs is making me hungry again.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #167140 07/08/07 10:07 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Well if I must say so myself..................Damn those ribs were good That with some corn on the grill and a pasta salad. Good eats I'm tell ya.

Rick

Wid #167141 07/08/07 10:38 PM
Joyce and I tried corn on the grill for the first time tonight....with the chipotle seasoning as well. What have I been waiting for all these years?

DEEE-LISH!!!

(The corn was really good, too!)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Wid #167142 07/09/07 12:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
damn those looked good, wid. carmelized pork fat, mmmmmmmm. i gotta get me another smoker.

btw, what wine you guys have with bbq'd pork? kind of a difficult proposition in my experience.

bigwill2 #167143 07/09/07 02:16 AM
For bbq'd pork, I'd go with a "softened" Syrah/Shiraz. If you look around, you can find some that are blended with viognier (a white wine).

pmbuko #167144 07/10/07 12:53 AM
aficionado
aficionado
interesting, yesterday was the first time i've seen/tried that shiraz/viognier blend.

soft reds seem to be the ticket. i picked up a btl of carmenere at someone's suggestion, but have not had the opportunity to try it with pork.

bigwill2 #167145 07/11/07 03:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Last night we hickory-smoked a bone-in sirloin (what a cut!); for an additional side I made mushroom caps stuffed with a combination of blue cheese, rosemary, walnuts and butter. Great complement to the hickory! (I also made standard bacon/celery/garlic stuffed mushrooms for the non-blue-cheese-eaters.) Mushrooms are so good at this time of year.

Amie #167146 07/12/07 12:55 PM
devotee
devotee
Now that sounds good! I love those kinds of mushroom recipes... Now if I only could find a way to convince my wife that they're edible

Amie #167147 07/14/07 02:12 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Those shrooms sound way cool, Amie.

How about some recipe guidelines?

bigwill2 #167148 07/14/07 02:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh dear, I'm one of 'those' cooks. Mix a spoonful of room temp butter with two or three or four spoons of crumbled blue cheese; add several shakes of dried rosemary and a spoonful of coarsely chopped walnuts.

That will fill four large stuffing mushroom caps.

For five large stuffing mushroom caps, one stalk of celery, half a clove of garlic, two strips of bacon, and the stem of two of the mushrooms - that usually makes enough to fill and a spoonful for the chef.

I pre-cook the mushroom caps in the microwave with a drop or two of water when they're empty - two minutes. That gets them started so that you can just finish them at 350*F for about 10 minutes and the mushrooms aren't crunchy.

How's that for a rough estimate?

Amie #167149 07/14/07 05:14 AM
You just made me short out my kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkeyboard with drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Amie #167150 07/15/07 04:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
thanks Amie. I wasn't even sure if you were cooking those or not.

bigwill2 #167151 08/06/07 12:05 AM
M
M
Well, no steam escaped from this wrapping job . That's dried onion, garlic, basil and pepper with chipotle, olive oil and lemon juice on that wild salmon fillet.

Mojo #167152 08/06/07 01:37 AM
Chipotle is the new salt.

pmbuko #167153 08/06/07 01:45 AM
M
M
Yeah, I put it on everything now that you introduced me to it . I used to say Chipotl and then my smart-mouthed sister said "It's chipotlay, you nerd!".

Mojo #167154 08/06/07 01:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Superstore/Presidnet's Choice introduced a new
Tequila, Habanero Barbecue Sauce this summer. Comes in a giant, ugly bottle with a cork top.

Tequila & Habanero!!! How can this be anything but good!

I'm off topic a bit but wanted to share. Speaking of smoking though, I'm now intrigued. What should one look for in buying a smoker? Any good tips or URLs on techniques?

Murph #182389 11/08/07 02:39 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Has anyone here ever smoked rabbit (tame rabbit)? I want to give this a try this weekend and was looking for suggestions for a rub.

Rick

Wid #182390 11/08/07 02:50 AM
J
J
Try the rabbits foot it's supposed to be good luck

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #182391 11/08/07 02:53 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Not much meat on that part \:\)

Rick

Wid #182392 11/08/07 03:23 AM
shooting rabbits in the yard again are ya? \:\)

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #182396 11/08/07 04:32 AM
M
M
I've only made rabbit stew. Is it ever delicious! Do you want the recipe?

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated
Mojo #182416 11/08/07 11:46 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Sure Tex I'll give it a try.

Rick

Wid #182421 11/08/07 12:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Getting very close to Christmas meat pie season. Wild Rabbit is almost always an ingredient around these parts. Although the coyotes are starting to change that.

Murph #182436 11/08/07 03:20 PM
M
M
This is the way my family has traditionally made it. I strongly advise you don't make any substitutions. Consume it with a spicy Malbec and fresh bread for dipping and you'll be in heaven!

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #182463 11/08/07 06:23 PM
devotee
devotee
Interesting recipe. I usually think of Stifado as being a beef dish (though my understanding is that veal and lamb are often used). Is rabbit traditionally used in Greek cooking as well? Or is this your unique innovation?

Have you ever done this recipe using chicken? That struck me as an interesting substitution (but I would shorten the overall cooking time if using a cut up chicken).

Rich

samandnoah #182477 11/08/07 07:29 PM
M
M
My wife makes it with beef and it is very, very tasty. My folks always made it with bunny so the beef was new to me. I think southern Greece prefers bunny and northern prefers beef. Never tried chicken but we'll have to try that some day.

House of the Rising Sone
Mojo #182496 11/08/07 10:14 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Thanks Tex, that sounds like a really nice way to use some of the rabbit meat we have. This weekend we are going to smoke one and fry a couple.

Rick

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,486
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters