Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: My new hobby - wheelin (4x4)
bridgman #168577 05/23/07 04:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hey Bridgeman, same vehicle indeed. Mine is Inca Gold and our parts have different brand names and numbers but essentially a similar setup. I didn't know what color I wanted but the sales guy promised me the 4x3 solid backed poster of the gold Rubicon on a rock if I ordered Inca Gold so they could see what it looked like. I was leaning towards it anyways so it was a deal.

I'm jealous of some of your wheeling locations. I've never been out of the Maritimes with it. We have some really nice clas 7 & 8 trails but thats mostly because they contain a half dozen or so really tough, challenging sections to give it the rating but not days and days worth of fun lke Moab.

Do you know what edition month/year you were in JP Magazine. I have gotten it for a few years now so I may have seen it or can go back to it.

If you have your own pictures of the event somewhere, you
need to share the links!

Andy

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #168578 05/23/07 04:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As for Jeep upgraditis, when I traded my 97 TJ in for a 2003 Rubicon, I swore to myself I would leave it stock until the warranty ran out. That lasted less than 4 months and I ordered a 3" BDS lift and 33" tires. A little hight is really all a Rubicon is missing for recreational wheeling but I still save pennies for more and more goodies.

I should note that the dealer was very good to me about replacing anything that was still a Jeep part even after they did the mods and knowing what I was up to with it. Of course, after building whats indisputably, a factory built rock crawler, they could hardly say it was only meant for the street.

Last edited by Murph; 05/23/07 05:01 PM.

Murph #168579 05/23/07 05:36 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Curious what you guys think of the new 4 door Jeep.

I've seen it a few times, looks pretty nice. I've even seen a nice one w/ a lift and mudders, I like it.

I spoke to the guys at the Jeep shop that did my lift. They complained that most of their old custom hardware won't work on these new rigs. Even though it looks the same, it's completely different. Hence a whole new cycle of creating custom gear.

For my FJ, the nice thing is that it's based on the Land Cruiser Prado which is sold in other parts of the world, so those parts would even work on an FJ.

oldskoolboarder #168580 05/24/07 02:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Curious what you guys think of the new 4 door Jeep.

I've seen it a few times, looks pretty nice. I've even seen a nice one w/ a lift and mudders, I like it.

I spoke to the guys at the Jeep shop that did my lift. They complained that most of their old custom hardware won't work on these new rigs. Even though it looks the same, it's completely different. Hence a whole new cycle of creating custom gear.

For my FJ, the nice thing is that it's based on the Land Cruiser Prado which is sold in other parts of the world, so those parts would even work on an FJ.

While I, personally, have more fun with a short wheel base vehicle on the trail, I have to admit the extra space of the new 4 doors and the stretched Unlimited actually make much more sense considering mine is still 80% a daily driver.

Reviews are posative about the new motor replacing the trusty old 4.0L once you get through it's computer automated break in period. I'm not sure I would like some of the automated handling features on the trail but I understand it can be set to different levels and can be totally bypassed in low range if you know how to do it.

I feel like this is the wrong board to ramble on about it but I'm very positive (Note, Iv'e seen them on the trail but never driven one myself yet) about everything they have done except for those huge plastic fenders. I hate the look of those things even if I understand the functionality.

I'm confused about the "FJ" bit though. Are you saying you actually have an Jeep FJ, the old 1060s FLEETVANs, with a three inch lift and you wheel it?????? I can't imagine but no doubt somebody has tried it!
OR
are you talking about, gasp, shudder, choke, a 'Toyota' FJ? Actually, the newer Toyota FJs are a very nice truck. Almost as capable as an equivalent Jeep and would be right up there as a personal alternative should Jeeps ever disappear from the face of the Earth.

Murph #168581 05/24/07 03:04 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Speaking of two-letter off-roaders, have you seen these pics of the concept Jeep JT in action?

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/jeep-wrangler-jt-concept/

pmbuko #168582 05/24/07 04:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Speaking of two-letter off-roaders, have you seen these pics of the concept Jeep JT in action?

I did see that. I really hope they put it into production. I'm sure by the time SEMA rolls around it will look much nicer but I liked thier previous pickup concept way better, The Gladiator.

Of course, it's way bigger for a guy who said he prefers a short wheelbase on the trail but for all the times I wished I had a pickup around home, a Jeep truck with a Rubicon equivilant package is the only thing I'd trade my Beloved TJ Rubicon in for.

Murph #168583 05/24/07 08:05 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Heep war! J/K.

Yes, I have an '07 FJ. At the top of the thread is iPhoto vid of my wheelin at Hollister this weekend. LOVE it. More than capable off road, 3" lift and Demello sliders.

I do give respect to Jeeps, but only if they have round headlights...

oldskoolboarder #168584 05/25/07 09:11 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Quote:

I do give respect to Jeeps, but only if they have round headlights...

Can't help there... this belongs to a buddy... he's since moved to 10.5" wide tires (with tread!)

It's funny how much smaller it looks with my big hoarkin' self on it.

Bren R.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020