Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Re: Computer Speaker Update
Ken.C #169308 06/14/07 06:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If the speakers had a built in amp they would be just like every other computer speaker on the market.... sortof....

I really, Really like the external amp idea on these. I cant wait to see it. Its like a micro little stereo

One thing that would be quite nice on the amp though is a headphone output since it could double as a headphone amplifier and sometimes its nice to use headphones instead of speakers.

Ken.C #169309 06/14/07 01:44 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

Which tower? A Dell? An HP? A G4? A G5? How about a server sized Silverstone TJ05?

Heh shows you what I know about CPU towers lol. I thought they were all about the same size.

Haoleb #169310 06/14/07 03:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I agree with Brandon. There are at least a few good reasons why separating the amp from the speakers makes a lot of sense to me.

1. This is obviously a point of personal preference, but I continue to believe very strongly that the "right tool for the job" of setting listening volume is a big, analog knob. Personally, I dislike having to access the streaming application and do it there. I know that you CAN put such a knob on the speaker (and it appears Axiom has chosen to do both).

2. If you have the knob on the speaker, it either has to be on the front (functional but UNSIGHTLY) or on the back (pretty limited use, to me). To reiterate what Brandon said, having a separate amp module also differentiates the speakers from other competing models, both in terms of functionality and appearance, but also (I believe) in perceived quality.

3. Having the volume control on the separate box enables not only more flexible speaker placement but also affords the opportunity to interact with - to touch - the Quality inherent in the product.

4. Perhaps most importantly, separating out the components affords Axiom with a product diversification platform to realize some of the suggestions already made (different crossover methodology, additional inputs, stand-alone small amp, headphone outputs, etc.). The initial offering isn't "the end".

So, I'm very much in favor of adding the outboard amp and reaping the benefits of its ongoing evolution.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #169311 06/15/07 05:18 PM
veteran
veteran
Would this amp allow for conection to one of axioms subwoofers curently in production?

NOLAGT #169312 06/17/07 01:14 AM
devotee
devotee
I'd just like to know what inputs are on this amp. I've got my computer in the same room as my theater gear at the moment so outputting audio to those speakers is no problem.

However I'm moving in a few months and my computer will be seperated from it's speaker siblings. I've got a optical out that I can happily plug into these speakers, if they allow that configuration i'd jump for joy and purchase the set in a heartbeat

EDIT: Another good reason for a seperate amp would be placement. If you wanted to spread your speakers out a bit, or put them on shelves or something like that, the amp could remain on your desk with power switch, volume knobs, etc, and still be close enough for your computer's audio to plug into it. I like.

- D

Last edited by Daphoid; 06/17/07 01:16 AM.

"Big John is my Idol...or is it that other way around? Let's ask Ray!"
Daphoid #169313 06/20/07 02:15 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I must say that is great to get all this input; thank-you everyone. I think we are going to end up with a number of versions of this amp box to accommodate the various possible uses. The size of each version will be the same and will fit neatly on top of a standard tower or the sub. We will start with the standard version below but will be able to quickly add the optional versions.

1. The standard version will be for use with a pair of the mini computer speakers and the optional, reasonable compact, computer sub. The power will be 55 watts per channel. This version will have the x-overs for the tweeter and woofer of the mini speakers in the amp box. The x-overs are just too big to fit into the mini speakers (they are hi-fi speakers in midget cabinets). There will be a 3.5 mm input for hook up to your computer, 2 x 3.5mm outputs for the mini speakers, and 1 more 3.5 mm output for the optional sub. We will either put an RCA output on the back for use with any of our other sub-woofers or have an adaptor that will allow the 3.5 mm sub out to be hooked to the high level input of our other subs. We are also colour coding all these 3.5 mm inputs and outputs so it is simple to hook-up. We are supplying all the colour coded cables with the system as well.

2. Then there will be the high power version of the one above with 120 watts per channel. This will be used for people who want party level performance from their computer system. It will allow you to use your computer as your music source and have a real hi-fi system for the room.

3. Then there is the 5.1 system that will have all the amps and x-overs inside to run a surround sound system. Since this system relies on the processor in the computer to give you the decoding and channel separation we will not have an optical or coaxial input on the amp. There will be multiple 3.5 mm inputs for all the channels and multiple 3.5 mm outputs for all the speakers.

4. Then we have versions of all of the above for use with our other speakers. These versions will not have the x-overs for the mini speakers inside but will have inputs and outputs for use as a normal amplifier.

At this point in time we had not considered a head phone jack but I am going to investigate that one further. Since we are also considering an optional little box that has a volume control and mute button on it we could put a head phone jack on this little box.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
Ian #169314 06/20/07 02:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Woohoo! That's very cool, Ian. Thanks for listening to all the suggestions, and then actually implementing some of the ideas! I can feel myself already growing tired of my Klipsch computer speakers. . .

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #169315 06/20/07 04:14 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Oooooooohhhhhhh... I'll stop making guesses about this thing. Mine are all wrong (oh, gee, darn...)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ian #169316 06/20/07 06:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Wow. This is going to great! I've been putting off upgrading my computer speakers for a long time. I can't wait for these!

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens
St_PatGuy #169317 06/20/07 07:42 PM
veteran
veteran
Quote:

I can feel myself already growing tired of my Klipsch computer speakers. . .

LOL thats funny...I was thinking the exact same thing about my exact same speakers when I was reading that. I think the klipsch sub I have sucks!

Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,489
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters