Quote:

Tam, welcome. You're really not in "error" in your comment. Assuming that the Axiom specs are correct, the M80s require less power than the M60s for a given sound level. The 2dB difference would indicate that the M80s require about 63% as much power. This tends to offset the effect of the lower impedance on the current required, so that at the same sound level the M80s would draw very little more current. For example, at the 25 watt power rating, which should provide for a peak of a little over 100dB with the M80s at a typical listening distance in a typical size of room, the calculated current requirement using Ohm's Law would be square root(25/4)or 2.50 amperes. The M60s using about 40 watts for that same sound level would have a current requirement of square root(40/8)or about 2.24 amperes. So, although for a given amount of power a 4 ohm load requires about 70% more current than an 8 ohm load(not double, as is sometimes said), if the 4 ohm speaker is more sensitive the difference is reduced, eliminated or even reversed at a given sound level.

Whether your amp would be adequate depends on how loud you play the material and how wide its dynamic range is. As was said above, it should be okay for peaks of at least a little over 100dB. You may never need more than this if, as you say you don't expect to listen at extremely high levels.

JohnK,Thankyou! This information is GOLD. I had a huge hole in my knowledge here. I just coudn't see how a speaker that draws more current would use less power (or nearly the same power). You have really provided an excellent explanation of this. Awesome. I love filling in the gray areas of my theory.

Last edited by Ohmen; 06/07/07 02:17 PM.

M22's M60's VP150 QS8's EP350 Yamaha RX-V2700 Yamaha YP-D71