Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Toshiba HD-A2 player - it's getting cheap
michael_d #170058 06/12/07 08:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SACD's and DVD-A's are still being produced, I think what Mark's getting at is the fact that neither really took off due to their competitoin with each other.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #170059 06/12/07 10:36 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I think it is partially their competition, along with a lack of people that have surround sound systems to enjoy them on as well as a lack of understanding of what they are among the general public. Almost everyone on a message board like this has surround sound and knows what this stuff is, but I don't think a lot of the general public does. So, poor marketing can probably be added to the reasons for flopping as well.

DanielBMe #170060 06/13/07 04:16 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Here's a good read on the subject of the HD format war from The Digital Bits.

The Digital Bits

Thanks for the link Daniel.

Problem is The Digital Bits, and Bill Hunt, have such a one sided slant on some things, you would think that he worked for CNN or FoxNews (depending on your political position).

Heck, even that link is to a section that they call "The Soapbox."
This is all turning into some stupid battle over something of, really, little importance in the big scheme of life. You go to the Blu-Ray sites, and they say that Bill Hunt is a genius, and he "laid down the law." Go to a HD-DVD site, and people are stating other "facts" that go against with Bill Hunt said, and quoting times when Bill "Blu-Ray" Hunt (as they call him) has changed his very definitive answer on different technologies over the years and they compared him to a "flip-flipping" presidential candidate of recent years.

To me, I don't give a rat's butt either way. I have better things to spend my hard earned cabbage on, even if this HD-DVD player is only $200. I don't care. So buy your blu-rays and your hd-dvds, and enjoy them instead of bickering over which one is better, or which one will "win"... By the time there is a "winner", 2nd and 3rd generation combo units will be out that will play both and then it won't matter which one you get. Let's all just move along before this gets heated. I know that Axiom hasn't had a thread in a little while that got volatile, but we don't need one now.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #170061 06/13/07 04:22 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Nothing gets me more angry than a mediator! Ha ha.

I'm enjoying both formats, but I'm definitely supporting one more than the other. I simply wish both sides had had more respect for the consumer to begin with. It's not just politics where your only choices are a douche or a turd.

HomeDad #170062 06/13/07 06:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

SACD's and DVD-A's are still being produced, I think what Mark's getting at is the fact that neither really took off due to their competitoin with each other.

This is true. However, I reckon HD DVD and Blu Ray are already more popular than DVD-A and SACD. Those audio formats are probably only purchased by audiophiles, and won't replace standard CD's. HD DVD and Blu Ray are likely going to replace DVD, or at least that's the idea.

nickbuol #170063 06/13/07 03:11 PM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

To me, I don't give a rat's butt either way. I have better things to spend my hard earned cabbage on, even if this HD-DVD player is only $200. I don't care. So buy your blu-rays and your hd-dvds, and enjoy them instead of bickering over which one is better, or which one will "win"... By the time there is a "winner", 2nd and 3rd generation combo units will be out that will play both and then it won't matter which one you get. Let's all just move along before this gets heated. I know that Axiom hasn't had a thread in a little while that got volatile, but we don't need one now.

Every time this topic comes up, someone has to throw dirt at it and start talking about format wars, wasted money or some global conspiracy revolving around HDMI. It’s all silly… I agree Nick, why do folks feel so compelled to do that?? I don't get it.

I own both players, and am enjoyed the hell out of both. I buy most of my disks, but Netflix rents them too. The only reason I bothered to post this was to give anyone thinking about buying an HD player an opportunity to do so, cheap. A year ago they were over a grand and HD/BR movies were scarce. Now a person can have the machines to play both formats for under $700, get a $400 receiver to process the lossless sound, and rent the disks.

When you finally get around to spending your cabbage on one, you’ll regret not doing it sooner. HD and BR are so much better than SD it’s pathetic to try and compare them. Sound and video. And isn’t that why so many of us waste time on these forums?? To discuss ways of enjoying this AV addiction??

michael_d #170064 06/13/07 03:30 PM
veteran
veteran
What players do both formats so far?

michael_d #170065 06/13/07 03:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
When I spend my cabbage, I am hoping to do so with a HTPC that I've been toying with for a few months, but I would like to have the ability to run both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray in a single, internal drive... The technology isn't there yet, so I am in a holding pattern for now.

I do appreciate the post about teh $200 unit, and I know that I am missing out every day that I don't have HD, I just want to wait a little bit longer and see what the next generation stuff has in store.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
NOLAGT #170066 06/13/07 03:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

What players do both formats so far?

Samsung was going to build one last year, and bailed on it. Of course, LG changes their mind on a daily basis...

LG has shown a GGW-H10N HD DVD / Blu-ray combo drive for PCs, but the price tag is around $1200. It can read all formats, but only write BD and CD.

LG also has the stand alone component player (no writing) BH100. It goes for around $1100. Biggest downfall on the specs (not looking at reviews at all) is that it plays the HD-DVD movie 100% fine, but none of the enhanced video components that HD-DVD has to offer. It does Blu-Ray at 100% AND all of the extra bells and whistles.

Give me a reliable combo drive for my PC for $400, and I'll buy it.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
michael_d #170067 06/13/07 04:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Most of us don't want to spend money on two players, especially if one becomes obsolete in a couple of years. HDDVD and Blue Ray are both still pretty new, so I don't mind waiting for cost reduction, player improvements, and either a universal player or a format winner.

I'll probably do mine as part of a HTPC as well. I have been waiting for the cable card that does HD for the HTPC. I know they are out, but they are either expensive or a bit tough to find still.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (SirQuack), 1,005 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup