Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What’s your favorite photo editing software?
michael_d #172537 07/14/07 08:58 PM
T
buff
buff
T
Overall the answer is Photoshop. Photoshop Elements is a good choice if the high price tag of Photoshop is a turn-off. As for both, you can download a 30-day free (full function) trial from Adobe to see which one works best for you. Also, if you are a student (like that 1 unit into photo class at a community college) you can get Photoshop for almost half off.

Quote:

I think I need noise reduction. No, I know I need it….

There is some basic noise reduction ability in Photoshop. if you really need something serious (like shooting ISO3200 1/2 stop underexposed then pushing) you may want to look into something like Noise Ninja.

Quote:

I’d like to be able to combine shots taken where there is extreme exposure setting differences (like a really bright sunset over a dark mountain peak). I don’t know if there is anything that will do that, but I was thinking if I could take two pictures of the same thing, with two different exposures, I could cut and paste?? I dunno, maybe I’m just dreaming, but that would be cool.

Masking and layers in Photoshop is my personal favorite, but there are also some HDR abilities. With RAW you can actually do this sort of thing from a single exposure that is just processed multiple way (ie one for the sky, one for the ground, etc.)

Quote:

I’m still using JPEG, but think after I figure this thing out, I’ll use Raw + JPEG, so it would be cool if I didn’t have to use two separate programs to convert and process.

Quote:

That six hundred dollar Photo Shop is too expensive for me.

The student discount is ~$299. Go take an intro photo class at a college (and drop it after you buy if you really want). Photoshop elements is cheaper, but doesn't have all the features... but may have everything you need. Try them out!

Quote:

I'd like to stitch panoramas too.

Not really something that I've been able to do well in Photoshop (I've not really tried). I use the Canon PhotoStitch software that came with my cameras.

-Todd...

TCorzett #172538 07/15/07 02:48 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
What Todd said.

Except, I really think Elements will end up being "enough" for you.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ajax #172539 07/15/07 04:38 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Quote:

Andrew. My pleasure.

Whoops!! Sorry Jack. that's what I get for typing while thinking.... I am in my 40's now, ya know...

tomtuttle #172540 07/15/07 04:41 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
OK..... I'm going to download all of em... Elements, C3, PSP, and this Bibble I keep hearing about. Light Room looks cool too, but I've been reading that ya still need Elements or C3 to augment it.

And I thought picking out a camera was a tough call.

michael_d #172541 07/15/07 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

Andrew. My pleasure.

Whoops!! Sorry Jack. that's what I get for typing while thinking.... I am in my 40's now, ya know...

No problem, Mike. And no apology necessary. I got a good laugh out of it. And believe me when I say I understand, completely, anyone who has reached the point in life where trying to keep more than one ball in the air at a time means there will be soon be balls on the floor. (LEAVE IT ALONE, PETER! ..........you too, Amie )

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #172542 07/15/07 03:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

anyone who has reached the point in life where trying to keep more than one ball in the air at a time means there will be soon be balls on the floor.

Note to self--after age sixty, stop buying boxers.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #172543 07/16/07 03:04 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Quote:

Note to self--after age sixty, stop buying boxers.

sonicfox #172544 07/16/07 05:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Gimp was a huge piece o' crap for years until it was given a thorough cleanup. Now it's pretty nice. The wife uses Photoshop and has menus and windows opening and closing so fast I can't keep up without getting dizzy. But then she is a graphic artist. I use the Gimp on the rare occasions I want to manipulate a photo. Paintshop Pro was the favorite of the marketing folks at my last job. And it's still cheap.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22." "It's the best there is." M22ti VP150 EP350 QS8 M3Ti
LightninJoe #172545 07/17/07 02:09 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
I’ve downloaded Paint Shop Pro XI, Bibble Pro 4.98 and I tried to download Photoshop Elements 5. PSE is a 450 meg download that took me five hours. When I tried to install it, I got an error. Five hours wasted on that one….

Paint Shop Pro will not recognize my camera’s RAW files (too new I guess), but I can play with JPEGs. Bibble recognized the RAW files. So far, I have to give the nod to Bibble. It’ll take me years to figure this software out entirely, but what I’ve figured out so far is pretty darn cool. It has Noise Ninja and it works wonders on some shots that I messed up and forgot my ISO setting was set to 400 (they had lots of noise). It cleaned them up very well. The Noise tool on PSP didn’t do as well.

I’m still playing and have an Elements try out disk on order. If I like it, I’ll try the mack-daddy version next.

michael_d #172546 07/20/07 12:19 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Now that the proper resting place for Alex's balls has been settled, I will add that I use Photoshop Elements and find it to be excellent.

Very full featured (BTW - buy a book of instructions you like for it). Has way more than an average 'crop it, touch it up, kill the old red eye" needs. Unless you are going to become a power user, it has waaayyy more than enough.

Does a nice job of cleaning up / restoring older photos you scan it as well.

Thanks for the original input on this one Alex.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters