Rate Thread
Image quality on receiver
#173486 07/31/07 01:28 AM
P
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
P
Hi, I recently got a Yamaha receiver (gonna return it soon to get the new Onkyo ones) and I am having issue in terms of image quality.

If I hook up my units using video cables to the receiver the image quality isn't as good ( it is fuzzy; less sharp, the image moves up and down quickly, thus probably giving it a fuzzy image).

If I hook the units directly to my T.V, the image quality is fine (no shaking).

I have satellite receiver connected by component and Wii via composite cable.

The problem has to do with my receiver, it seems like it is down converting the image. Anyway to resolve this issue?

Re: Image quality on receiver
Paul_Bassi #173487 07/31/07 02:32 PM
old hand
old hand
I can only imagine that the reason you are hooking up all the video through the AV receiver is so that you can control everything with one remote????

Personally, I never use the video capabilities of a receiver. To me it just adds another point of conversion or pass-through that is not needed. To accomplish the same thing just get yourself a good universal remote that will allow one button programming of all devices needed for a particular setting. Harmony comes to mind.

Of course if your TV has only one digital input of preference and the receiver has several, then I can see wanting to use the receiver as a type of HDMI/DVI switch.
In that case you need to make sure that the receiver is fully capable of passing your video signal through without any down conversion. The best option is that it doesn't do any conversion at all but allows either the TV or the DVD player to do any up-conversion/scaling.

So even though you are getting another receiver, make sure of it's video capabilities.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Paul_Bassi #173488 07/31/07 06:14 PM
P
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
P
Thanks! I will tell you about my situation.

I just programmed a Harmony remote yesterday and everything works fine with a click of a button. I currently have this:

T.V.

Source: HDMI to receiver

(T.V has 2 x HDMI)

FTA Satellite Receiver
Video: component to T.V. Audio: optical to receiver

DVD
Video/Audio: HDMI to receiver

(Oppo DVD player shows that the picture is set to 720p (60 Hz)

Wii

Video: composite (yellow) to T.V. Audio: composite (red/white) to receiver

(going to upgrade to component)

Future units

A FTA HD receiver (such as Sonicview 80000 HD) via HDMI to either T.V or receiver.

HD DVD player or Blu Ray which is connected by HDMI to receiver or T.V (probably receiver though to have 1.3a capatibilities).

Now I am seriously thinking of getting the Onkyo SR-TX605 receiver. I will have sufficient enough HDMI inputs (3 including T.V and receiver) to hook all my HDMI units. Only thing I am worried about is downscaling issues in terms of picture quality when I have the T.V connected to receiver via HDMI and other two HDMI units connected to receiver.

When I connected the FTA receiver and Wii to the A/V receiver, the picture quality was downgraded. But when I connected the video cables straight to T.V it was MUCH sharper (for the Wii's case though, bit of improvement from the FTA receiver).

Thanks.

Last edited by Paul_Bassi; 07/31/07 06:19 PM.
Paul_Bassi #173489 07/31/07 07:55 PM
old hand
old hand
It appears as if the 605 upconverts the HDMI signal while at the same time the specs allude to an HDMI repeater. Can the unit just pass-through (repeat) the video signal without trying to upconvert it? In other words can the upconversion be shut off?

I think if you can use it simply as an HDMI switch it should not mess with the video signal.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,949
Posts442,508
Members15,619
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044