C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I originally had an XBR1, but they replaced it with an XBR2 when they couldn't fix it. My XBR1 started out with the same yellow splotchy problem, though not nearly as pronounced at first.

But yeah, after turning my TV off and turning it back on later, it wasn't there, so I'll have to wait until it comes back and is there regularly before I call on it.

Re: DLP Products Announces New DarkChip 4
CV #176087 09/10/07 05:00 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
The XBR is a great set. Good luck with the fix.

I was a DLP fan a couple years ago when looking for a RPTV. But after doing more research I heard stories of light enging failures, color wheel issues and premature bulb failures, so ended up with a LCOS based set as well.

Personally I think DLP will end up like the GM Corvair of the 60's or Ford Pinto. The negative buzz around reliability will push RPTV and projectors sales to LCD and LCOS based systems.

ctown #176088 09/10/07 05:19 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I guess I haven't really paid attention to DLP reliability issues. Are the LED DLP sets doing any better in that regard?

CV #176089 09/10/07 08:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
CV,

I haven't heard anything about DLP reliability issues. I'm into my 4th year on the original bulb and three friends with DLPs have had no problems with their sets, nor have they had to replace a bulb yet.

I've heard far more about LCD and LCoS rear-projection problems, mainly Sony, than about any DLP issues. Friends with DLP front projectors have not experienced any trouble so far.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #176090 09/10/07 09:27 PM
C
devotee
devotee
C
Alan, CV...there are many satasfied DLP users, but my opinions stem from my purchasing experience on a RPTV.

I was set on the Samsung HLRxx63 series of Samsung TV's, but they had problems with light engines and supposed colour wheel bearing issues, then I turned to the Toshiba HMX85 series of TV which was known for having premature bulb failures.

I also considered LG, but a local dealer that sells their plasmas as well as the full Hitachi line said every one of the LG DLP's he sold had a repair issue and the sale wasnt worth the disgruntled customers. I also looked at HP, which touted full 1080P but it was 1080x960 and used "wobulation" to create the 1080x1920 display(kind of horizontal interlacing) and now HP no longer sells DLP sets.

In the end, after 1.5 years of research and discussions, I deduced that LCDRP was a more solid state technology, but the limitations of seeing the pixel structure was not desirable to me. I have my JVC 97 series HDILA and love it(LCOS). (Yes their G887 series had lamp issues.)

I have never researched projectors and maybe their performance is not like the RPTV's. As said before I fell in love with DLP projection TV's, but every one I liked seemed to be plagued with issues. That along with the decreasing costs of plasma and LCD will likely mean RPTV's will go the way of the cassette anyways.

alan #176091 09/10/07 09:57 PM
T
old hand
old hand
T
Quote:

CV,

I haven't heard anything about DLP reliability issues. I'm into my 4th year on the original bulb and three friends with DLPs have had no problems with their sets, nor have they had to replace a bulb yet.

I've heard far more about LCD and LCoS rear-projection problems, mainly Sony, than about any DLP issues. Friends with DLP front projectors have not experienced any trouble so far.

Regards,

I agree with Alan. My family experience (4 Samsung RP-DLP's over the past 4 years) and friends who went the TI DLP way have all been excellent. No light engine issues, burnt bulbs or any other associated color\distortion problems.

While in the HT market (mostly on-line HT forums) and researching for my HD sets, I didn't find many complaints\problems against DLP technology. When B&M shopping for over a year, what I did find was a stunning HD-DLP experience that usually took my breath away... more so than LCD, LCos, Plasma or CRT!

I don't see or notice rainbows, nor does 95% of the population. So DLP's pricing, features and awesome 3-D video presentation were my choice. I can't really comment on the newer LED-DLP's as I haven't researched or viewed those, but any of the previous light\color wheel reliability issues should be even less.

Anyway, hope you can get your problem fixed soon, Charles!

Ted

Samsung 67" DLP 1080P * 2-Axiom EP500 PSW's * Emotiva UT Series Amps * Acoutimass 15's 5.1 = WOW!
Theo #176092 09/10/07 11:52 PM
F
frequent flier
frequent flier
F
Sitting here with Monday Night Football in HD on my 61" Samsung LED DLP - it just can't get any better!! And only $2100.00 - life is good!

David M60's, VP150, QS8's, Onkyo TX-SR805 HSU VTF3-MK3 Samsung HL-T6187S Oppo DV-981HD
Theo #176093 09/11/07 03:03 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Ted. Maybe I'll get "lucky" and they'll have to send me a new TV every year.

flhtcuibyhd #176094 09/11/07 01:55 PM
old hand
old hand
Quote:

Sitting here with Monday Night Football in HD on my 61" Samsung LED DLP - it just can't get any better!! And only $2100.00 - life is good!

I too have been happily using a Samsung DLP set for the past 4 years without even a burp in performance. While it's true that "some" early adopters had problems, it seemed like many more than there actually were because you never hear from those who have a great experience with any technology. You only hear from those who got a lemon. There are lemons in every technology.

I "think" I was smart in purchasing an extended warranty when I bought the TV. It is the only time I have ever purchased an extended warranty. A couple of weeks ago I took advantage of it by getting my color wheel, and bulb replaced. Even though there was nothing really wrong with either of them. One time the color wheel made a screeching sound for about 45 seconds. I had two months left on the extended warranty so I called it in and they replaced both parts without question. So in the end, I got my money's worth. Personally I think DLP has the best picture quality overall.

I am curious though how much you like the LED version in comparrison to the color wheel version. If and when my 61" DLP bites the dust, my next one will probably be LED, unless something better comes along.

"Tis better to desire that which you do not have, than to have that which you do not desire!"
Joey #176095 09/12/07 12:17 AM
F
frequent flier
frequent flier
F
I only compared the LED DLP to plasma and LCD. The only time they looked better than the DLP picture was at very close distance and very wide angle, which is not an issue in a dedicated HT setup. It's a great picture out of the box, and I have not even done any detailed setup on it yet - waiting for the new Avia DVD to be released.

David M60's, VP150, QS8's, Onkyo TX-SR805 HSU VTF3-MK3 Samsung HL-T6187S Oppo DV-981HD
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup