Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: IQ test
Ken.C #176827 09/29/07 08:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Quote:

Heh... I was just wondering if this one and the bad actress one would be still going when I came back from my vacation...

If that is what you are wondering about while on vacation, you're spending too much time on the Axiom message board. Just enjoy your vacay!

Go anywhere good?

Mojo #176828 09/30/07 04:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

My 10 year old son scored 137 ...

I just realized that you have now given us an Axiom version of "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?".

And that so far, with our 5 contestants, the answer is "No", although nickbuol could claim a tie since he is within the margin of error.

Mojo is totally right, though, in that this is not a valid test of IQ due to its limited scope. On the WAIS there are 7 subtests on the Verbal Scale and 7 subtests on the Performance Scale. This online test probably only hits a couple of areas on the Performance Scale.

Still, nice to have a little evidence (however little it is) that Axiom purchasers are smarter than the average bear, as Yogi would say. Of course, we all already knew that.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #176829 09/30/07 08:26 PM
pmbuko Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
Your evidence is still lacking...

medic8r #176830 09/30/07 10:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Quote:

My 10 year old son scored 137 ...

I just realized that you have now given us an Axiom version of "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?".

And that so far, with our 5 contestants, the answer is "No", although nickbuol could claim a tie since he is within the margin of error.

Mojo is totally right, though, in that this is not a valid test of IQ due to its limited scope. On the WAIS there are 7 subtests on the Verbal Scale and 7 subtests on the Performance Scale. This online test probably only hits a couple of areas on the Performance Scale.

IQ Test are so subjective. A person's score can vary from day to day, test to test.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
pmbuko #176831 10/01/07 03:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I edged you by 8 points, if that's what you're getting at.

nickbuol #176832 10/01/07 03:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

IQ Test [sic] are so subjective. A person's score can vary from day to day, test to test.

Maybe you are just trying to be modest. Hey, don't worry about it! You scored really high, in the top 2%. Be proud!

But I am going to challenge you on the "subjective" part of your claim.

If you mean these fun fluffy little web tests, then, sure, I'll agree with you. Who knows where half of these things come from, but I enjoy doing them from time to time. The fact that my scores have ranged from 126-160 would seem to indicate that you are correct. That's too big a range to be very meaningful.

But when you get into the serious Mac Daddy psychological instruments such as the WAIS or the WISC, with massive amounts of research and development, then you are getting a good objective test of a person's IQ. Remember, an IQ is fairly stable over time, unless there's a disease process going on, like dementia.

Sure, a person can have a bad testing day, but these professional assessments are so thorough that, with an honest effort by the participant, they will accurately determine IQ within a margin of error of a few points. Usually, a psychological testing report will include a phrase like, "Peter's full scale IQ was 118. The chances of repeat testing yielding an IQ within the range of 113-123 are 90% ... " Speaking from personal experience, the assessment I had in elementary school was within 4 points of the one I had in my residency.

Full-scale IQ tests administered by skilled professionals are accurate and reproducible, and thus are scientifically valid. They are helpful tools providing valuable information for mental health workers, educators, and others.

medic8r #176833 10/01/07 04:02 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Quote:

Remember, an IQ is fairly stable over time, unless there's a disease process going on, like dementia.

Sometimes a Phenomenon will help, too?

medic8r #176834 10/01/07 12:20 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

But I am going to challenge you on the "subjective" part of your claim.

If you mean these fun fluffy little web tests, then, sure, I'll agree with you. Who knows where half of these things come from, but I enjoy doing them from time to time. The fact that my scores have ranged from 126-160 would seem to indicate that you are correct. That's too big a range to be very meaningful.

But when you get into the serious Mac Daddy psychological instruments such as the WAIS or the WISC, with massive amounts of research and development, then you are getting a good objective test of a person's IQ. Remember, an IQ is fairly stable over time, unless there's a disease process going on, like dementia.

Sure, a person can have a bad testing day, but these professional assessments are so thorough that, with an honest effort by the participant, they will accurately determine IQ within a margin of error of a few points. Usually, a psychological testing report will include a phrase like, "Peter's full scale IQ was 118. The chances of repeat testing yielding an IQ within the range of 113-123 are 90% ... " Speaking from personal experience, the assessment I had in elementary school was within 4 points of the one I had in my residency.

Full-scale IQ tests administered by skilled professionals are accurate and reproducible, and thus are scientifically valid. They are helpful tools providing valuable information for mental health workers, educators, and others.

Absolutely, but my claim still is valid if you think about it. Let's look at my statement again.

Quote:

IQ Tests are so subjective. A person's score can vary from day to day, test to test.

You are looking at it form the test and the scorer's point of view. I am looking at it from the person taking the test point of view. A person can, potentially, score differently if they take the same test on different days, it happens all of the time. And the other variant is the tests... I said "test to test" meaning that there are multiple sources for IQ tests, from the "fluffy" ones to the serious ones, you can, and will get different scores. Some are like talking to your neighbor about a sore throat that you have, and others are like going to an E.N.T. doctor. You may get similar diagnosis, but the doctor should be more accurate in it.

So yes, by taking the WAIS or WISC you SHOULD get the more accurate result, but even you mention the margin of error to some degree.

So the challenge was accepted and I think that in actuality, it wasn't a challenge, just a clarification. So in reality, we are on the same page. You just chose to discus your point more than I did.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #176835 10/01/07 01:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

So in reality, we are on the same page.

Sure, I guess. All in all, IQ tests do a good job of objectifying some subjective concepts.

I'm glad that you clarified your original statement. It had sounded like you were dismissive of the concept of IQ and how to measure it.

CV #176836 10/01/07 01:41 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Quote:

Sometimes a Phenomenon will help, too?

I liked the part in that movie where he was asked to name as many mammals as he could in 60 seconds. It's a fun exercise.

Whenever I hear the word phenomenon, I think of this clip of Dr. Sandra Bullock, animal psychiatrist.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 511 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup