Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Quick Question (I hope) about lossless & gear
Perc #179997 10/22/07 04:01 AM
shareholder in the making
Perc, welcome. I'll comment on one point: there's no bandwidth or other problem involving transmission capacity that would prevent either toslink or a regular digital coaxial cable from being used for these formats. The problem is copy protection paranoia and only a digital transmission link with inherent copy protection(e.g. HDMI)or an analog link can be used. Toslink is inherently a digital link and for that reason can't be used, but it has nothing to do with inadequate bandwidth.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #179999 10/22/07 04:04 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
JohnK, is that true? Do you have a source to cite? It seems like I've always heard that bandwidth was indeed an issue, at least for toslink. I don't remember hearing one way or another for digital coax.

CV #180006 10/22/07 05:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
Toslink or Coaxial SPDIF - SPDIF does not have enough bandwidth to carry a full 5.1 PCM signal, so the audio track will be downgraded to 2 channels only. This is generally an undesirable result.
HDMI - A PCM track can be transmitted in full quality over any version of HDMI and delivered to the receiver for D-to-A conversion and amplification.
Multi-channel analog - In this case, the player converts the PCM to analog and sends it to the receiver for amplification. The quality of the DACs in the player will determine the final audio quality. If the disc player has inferior DACs to the receiver, an HDMI connection is preferred.

From High-Def Digest. Blu-ray and HD DVD Audio Explained A good article for the HD sound formats.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
HomeDad #180007 10/22/07 05:18 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Oh, hey, I was actually just reading that article last week. I obviously didn't read it with enough mental presence. \:\)

CV #180008 10/22/07 05:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You retained enough to remember about the bandwidth. \:\)

HomeDad #180010 10/22/07 06:13 AM
P
Perc Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
P
Homedad: thanks for confirming.

JohnK: thanks for clarifying why Toslink won't work.

Pickupmykeys: Thanks for the tip on calibrating...sounds like fun and I've never done it before. As for the articles, I read one in it's entirety but the other had so many pages I didn't get through it all.

From Bob P.'s article, it seems like when he wrote that, no players were decoding DTS-HD MA. But now, with the likes of the Toshiba A35, which per their website decodes both lossless formats, and is HDMI 1.3, I don't understand why it wouldn't work. Maybe the answer was in the other article and will just require a free evening to read through it all. Thanks for the help.

CV #180011 10/22/07 06:50 AM
Yes, Toshiba makes Toslinks(Toshiba links)available in various bandwidths, as shown in their Product Guide . If it was otherwise acceptable bandwidth wouldn't be a problem.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Perc #180046 10/22/07 04:12 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hello again Perc.

Originally Posted By: Perc
I just grabbed a used PS3 but realize it won't decode the HD Audio codecs.
The PS3 will output the HD audio track or PCM track via MPCM over HDMI.

Originally Posted By: Perc
My question is if I grab a Toshiba HDA20 or A35, do I still need an AV receiver that has HDMI 1.3?

Or, since the HD DVD player is supposed to decode those signals, will a plain old toslink optical cable from DVD to an older receiver, like the Denon 3805 (I'm hoping to grab a used one locally at what I think is a great price) successfully transmit the lossless sound?
There is so much information to sift through (not to mention all the vague marketing drivel). With regards to the HD DVD player, I think the answer to your question is no you don't require a receiver that is 1.3 so long as your receiver can accept MPCM via HDMI. The player will decode the audio and send it to your receiver as PCM.

pickupmykeys #180048 10/22/07 04:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Quote:
The player will decode the audio and send it to your receiver as PCM.

As long as the HD player will decode the audio HDMI 1.3 is not needed.HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 will do the trick.
Where HDMI 1.3 is needed on both devices is if the audio is not decoded by the HD player and is sent via bitsreem to the receiver.
This may be necessary for DTS HD when some of the players update to transfer DTS in bitsream only, so the receiver would need to be HDMI 1.3 compliant to decode the DTS HD signal.

HomeDad #180062 10/22/07 07:03 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
The PS3 will decode every codec with the exception of DTS-M. It is rumored that there will be a firmware update coming before Christmas to address this, and I have no reason to not believe it. Sony has been very forthcoming with firmware updates for the PS3. Sony has been pushing updates to this machine at a very impressive rate. If you do have a DTS-M only Blu Ray disk, you will not get lossless sound, but you will get the “core” DTS audio stream that is embedded in the DTS-M stream (I can verify this with the Blu Ray disk Condemned that I have).

As Homedad noted, you will need a receiver with HDMI 1.1 or greater to hear Lossless sound from the PS3. The PS3 does not have analogue outputs.

The A35 decodes both DD TrueHD and DTS-M. I’m not certain, but I think the Samsung has a player that decodes all the formats as well with a newly released firmware update. No others do from what I understand. The Toshiba HD-X2 is also rumored to have a new firmware update coming out soon to enable DTS-M and DD TrueHD decoding. Hard telling if it will work correctly as Toshiba’s firmware updates tend to come with bugs that need additional firmware updates to address. (for that reason, I am hesitant to buy an X2 and am probably going to buy the A35 because it works correctly out of the box)

If you decide to use a non HDMI receiver and use its 7 channel analogue inputs, you will not be able to use the receiver’s Bass Management functions and will have to rely of whatever the source player provides, and you will be limited to only one device unless you like to pull and plug in different device cables every time you use a different player.

The other option of course, is to buy a HDMI 1.3 receiver that is KNOWN to decode DTS-M and DD TrueHD. The new Denons and Onkyo’s do this. I’m not sure about the new Yamaha’s or any other unit for that matter……I stopped reading the AVS threads a while ago. There is a debate going on (which I have no opinion to who is right) that there is an advantage with the audio processor doing the decoding verses the player. If the player does the decoding, it will send a multi-channel PCM audio stream to the audio processor. If the audio processor has the ability to recognize and decode the codecs, the player will send the audio processor a lossless bitstream audio stream to the receiver and the receiver decodes it to PCM for further surround processing.

Some folks think the audio processor will do a better job at decoding the data, others feel this is hogwash and an X is an X and an O is an O so there should be no audible differences. This is a debate I do not care to get into any more than speaker wires, speaker break in or DAC comparisons….. Not worth the effort to me.

Bandwidth limitations are something that I’m not too sure about. I’m not sure if Toslink or Coax can carry a full 24 bit / 96 Hz X 7 channel data steam (DTS-M and DD TrueHD), PLUS 1080P/60 video data with 16 bit True Color. I think it may be beyond Toslink capacity, but again, I’m not sure. It really doesn’t matter anyway seeing how HDCP is embedded in the HD data streams and only HDMI provides the required handshake data path for this to occur.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Hambrabi), 957 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup