Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Suggestions for TV, receiver and DVD Player
#18084 08/22/03 08:16 PM
shareholder in the making
Be aware that it has rather prodigious cooling needs (bear in mind that I changed from a late 70s/early 80s Toshiba analog receiver that fits under my 27" TV nicely) and needs to breath on the sides, top, and back. This probably applies to everything out there. It also weighs a ton, and has a sucky remote. Other than those items, I really like mine. (525, if you lost the thread)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#18085 08/22/03 08:18 PM
aficionado
aficionado
what are those dead soldiers sitting on the window sill?

#18086 08/22/03 08:26 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Ken, why do you dislike the remote? I saw a VERY good deal at ecost for the H-K 520 (~$350) and am sorely tempted. I know it only has 5.1 power, but it does decode neo:6 and has pre-outs for zone 2 and the two rear channels. But I'd like to get a decent remote; that's part of what has turned me off about the Denons.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#18087 08/22/03 08:47 PM
Well, let's start at the top of the thing.

1. 3 buttons on the top: On Off Mute. Why the Off button? Oh yeah, and the Off button does not function with other components. But the On button doesn't turn off the AVR. Whee!

2. Going down the remote, we find all of the source buttons. Cool. But when you press one of them, the remote automatically changes to control that component. Which would be fine if it didn't suck as a universal remote. It also changes the volume button to the component (you have to program it to patch back to the AVR. So after changing components, you must press the AVR button (also in the same grouping of buttons) to change it back to a useable state. There is NO OTHER WAY on the remote to change the source. I've taken to walking across the room to change the source on the receiver itself, just 'cause it's easier.

3. Crappy labels. The buttons are also all the same size. Some buttons do not appear to do anything!

4. Moving on down, past the joystick thingie (the circle with the enter button in the midde; not a joystick, but I don't know what else to call it), we eventually get to the number buttons. You'd think that in FM or AM mode, you could type in the numbers for the frequency. Nope! And those big arrow keys that have a subtext that says channel near the top of the remote, next to the volume controls? Those won't change the radio either. No, the radio frequency change buttons are two tiny arrow keys buried down near the number keys that serve no function whatsoever when the remote is in AVR mode.

5. At the very bottom of the remote, where it has narrowed to about an inch wide, about 6 inches from the weight of the batteries and the center of gravity of the remote, and about an 1 1/2 inches from the bottom of the remote, we find the carrier control buttons (play, rewind, etc) which are all absolutely dinky. (we're talking less than a 3/16 inch wide!) You try and hold the remote with one hand and use those buttons. These are the main reasons the remote stinks as a universal!

6. The codes don't work worth beans, so you have to use the learning function. All well and good, except you have to stand on your head, rub your tummy, whistle Dixie, hold down 4 buttons and aim the two remotes at one another while watching the lights change underneath the button that indicates which device you're programming! Then you'd better hope you remember what you programmed for what!

7. In addition, the video ins correspond to the codes that you program. When I first got the remote, I put the TiVo in Vid1 and the VCR in Vid2, since I hardly use the VCR. Well, you can't program in a VCR code for Vid2; that's for TV or Satellite (no TiVo codes at all). VCR has to be in Vid1. So I had to go behind the thing and replug everything, with a 70 lb reciever resting on my knees.

8. The Macros don't work. I cannot get it to power on the receiver, then the TV, press the TiVo button, and switch back to AVR mode. It won't even get to the second step of this!

9. My wife is unhappy with me since now she has to press 3 buttons more to watch TiVo, when I said that a new receiver would make life easier (S-video switching, don'tcherknow).

Needless to say, I hate the remote, but at the moment I'm unwilling to pay 1/3 to 1/2 of what I paid for the reciever to buy a remote that would actually function as advertised.

Note: this above rant was only related to the remote, not the receiver itself. Your mileage may vary. Tax, license and other fees not included. Not insured by FDIC. An equal opportunity employer.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#18088 08/22/03 08:56 PM
R
Robin Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
R
Thanks for all of your help!

I must admit, I feel a little overwhelmed with all these choices. So let me put this out to everyone...

Imagine you have approx. $8000 dollars to buy any TV, any receiver and any home theater speaker set, what would you buy? I think the only thing you all need to know is that the system will be going in a room approx 16 x 12, and a projector is not possible because of ceiling fixtures.

Maybe you'll all suggest the same thing and I can go buy that! Hahahaa...I doubt that'll happen!

#18089 08/22/03 09:40 PM
Those "dead soldiers" are scented candles my wife picked up from a bargain bin for $0.75/each.

#18090 08/22/03 10:41 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Whew! Geez, Ken, how do you REALLY feel? I guess as long as I don't have to pat my head at the same time I'm rubbing my tummy...

Thanks for your time in detailing the specifics - it is genuinely appreciated.

#18091 08/22/03 10:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Robin - just so you know I'm not trying to completely hijack your plea-for-help thread into a remote-control thread...

I think the speaker system most folks seem to favor is:
M60 mains, VP150 center, QS8 surrounds, a Hsu or SVS Subwoofer.

Sushi is going to say you're crazy to not move heaven, earth and ceiling fixtures in order to get a projector. And to look at Pioneer Elite receivers.

Spiff is going to say to get Rotel separates.

The Denon AVR 3803 seems popular. Some people like Outlaw Audio separates.

Based on Ken's experience, you might want to put a universal remote in there somewhere

I just wish I had your budget.

#18092 08/23/03 01:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Um? Yet another chance to show off our setup???

Okay. How about having the best of both worlds? -- screen up versus screen down.

Ceiling fixtures? -- No Problemo! Here is our shelf-mounted projector. Seriously, shelf/table mounting provides the best geometry to project onto a retro-reflective hi-gain screen like our Da-Lite High Power fabric.

Last edited by sushi; 08/23/03 01:46 AM.
#18093 08/23/03 01:48 AM
devotee
devotee
That family room is too damn clean...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946