Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Help needed with classical selection - long read!
#183949 11/16/07 05:47 AM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi All,
I need a little help from all the classical buffs here (JohnK,sushi, et al). I am looking at making my first big purchase of classical music CD's. I am new into classical music though have been listening to bits and pieces of good music for about 15 years now. Yes, I did go through a whole bunch of threads here that already had some great suggestions, with a ton of contribution from JohnK, sushi and the like. However there were some links that absolutely did not work for me (like the old Tower site), and even if they did, most of the CD's were out of stock at the Tower or takes about 2-4 weeks delivery time. I am not in the US and am having one of my buddies agree to pick up a bunch of CD's from there. The problem is that he would be leaving by the end of November and I need them delivered to him before that. Also, I am intending to listen to the CD's through a Sennheiser HD650 via a cheap Pioneer universal player and an iBasso D1 amp. I don't know if listening via headphones and a cheap player would show off the advantages of an SACD/DVD-A disc, but would love to try them if you guys advise me that it would. My budget is about $200 and can be stretched till $300 if it would be absolutely worth it (I know, that would be subjective, but still...!).

Anyway, I do have a bit of an idea (thanks to trawling the threads here!) on what composers I should be looking at, being a starter and here's the list. More suggestions are welcome as well:

1. The Planets

2. Orff: Carmina Burana

3. Tchaikovsky: Complete Symphonies

4. Beethoven: Symphony no 9

5. Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake

6. Beethoven: Symphonies no 5 & 7 / Kleiber, Vienna PO

7. Wand Edition - Beethoven: Symphonies 1-9

8. Bach: The Goldberg Variations 1955 Performance: Zenph Re-performance

Now, my questions (Please bear with me on the long-winded yap, but this might be the only sensible time I'd be able to make a purchase of good classical music and I appreciate all your help :))

1.How long does Tower usually take to deliver CD's

2.I like Tchaikovsky and am tempted to get this SACD version of the Swan Lake. At about $25, do you think I would be able to appreciate the SACD version through my headphones and the Pioneer player?

3.Also, could someone please suggest a good version of the 1812 Overture and the Nutcracker Suit as well?

4.Is this version of The Planets worth it's premium and again would I be able to appreciate it with my setup?

5.I would like to pick a few works for cello as well. I understand that Du Pre's Elgar Concerto is one of the best ones. Could someone suggest a good version of this. Also, has anyone heard this or this and would recomment either? Would appreciate a few of Yo Yo Ma and Rostropovich's CD's as well.

6.Could someone suggest good Waltz selections similar to Strauss' . I absolutely love Strauss' works and is the first classical work I ever listened to consciously.

7.Lastly, are box sets like this and this worth buying, especially for a beginner? I am also under the assumption that the box-sets are generally inferior in quality.

Thanks a bunch everyone for reading this long post as well as for your views and suggestions.

Cheers!
Re: Help needed with classical selection - long read!
dkfan #183954 11/16/07 06:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Did you say sushi? Good lord, I haven't seen him around here in ages.

dkfan #183955 11/16/07 06:38 AM
shareholder in the making
DKF, I'll get to work on your questions and I'm always glad to help someone discover the great world of classical music that's out there waiting for us to give a listen.

Immediately, I'll again lament that sushi has been absent from us for about three years now and his contributions are sorely missed.

My old Tower links prior to last June now lead only to the site under the new ownership, but my links since then should still be good. Rodney(who unfortunately seems to have also disappeared from the board)did give some current links in a post listing some of my suggestions that he was getting.

On your question 1., yes be aware that the present Tower site is slower with delivery and even items in stock have taken about 9-10 days after shipping. So, this possibly could affect the ability of your friend to receive them in time. Incidentally, I'm curious about the situation in India relating to the availability of classical CDs. I've discussed some audio matters in detail with another member in India(aquashankar)but we didn't get into this.

Now let me study your other questions.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: Help needed with classical selection - long re
JohnK #183992 11/16/07 06:04 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
WOW! Thanks John, really, really appreciate you helping me out on this! \:\)

And yes, the last posts of sushi seems to date back to '03 \:\( Maybe the man has lost his password or something?

Yup, Tower sure doesn't seem to be my option, given their delivery times \:\( I may have to start scouring Amazon or CD Universe for the titles I have shortlisted and hope they are available there.

As far as the classical scene in India goes, you do get a smattering of labels and recordings but most music stores would have a few hundred CD's (if they carry any at all) and almost always not what you're looking for. That said I did manage to buy about 50 Jazz/Classical CD's, mostly from Telarc and ABKO when a distributor went out of business. So getting what you want is mostly hit or miss and buying it off of Amazon and having it shipped to India has it's own rafter full of problems that I rather not deal with. I do understand that there was one other person here from India but I guess he has not been posting here for a long time as well. Anyway, let me know if you'd like me to give you a shout anytime to talk audio or classical music over the phone or possibly via gmail. Appreciate all your help.

Lastly, how in the world did you know I am from India? \:o Especially it doesn't say anything in my profile???

Cheers!
dkfan #183998 11/16/07 06:07 PM
John has a terrifyingly good memory for little details that we let slip in posts. Also, rather inquisitive for someone who hasn't told us very much about himself... Maybe he's my boss--the man who wants to taser people who come to his front door, but enjoys walking into other people's offices and asking random questions.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #184003 11/16/07 06:11 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
John has a terrifyingly good memory for little details that we let slip in posts. Also, rather inquisitive for someone who hasn't told us very much about himself... Maybe he's my boss--the man who wants to taser people who come to his front door, but enjoys walking into other people's offices and asking random questions.

LOL, I don't think John would THAT bad, after all how many violent people do we know who are classical buffs with a couple of thousand CD's!

Cheers!
dkfan #184010 11/16/07 06:16 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Perhaps one? Time will tell.

dkfan #184019 11/16/07 06:43 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I have the Beethoven 60 CD set that is in your link and I would recommend it. I have been particularly enjoying the symphonies and piano concertos/sonatas. I have listened to about half of the set and I have not heard a bad recording yet. I would also say that I feel your list should include some Mozart as well. I don't have the complete set that you include in your other link but I like a number of Mozart CDs that include Alfred Brendel on piano. You might look at Arkiv.com for classical CDs as well.

David

davidsch #184020 11/16/07 06:48 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: davidsch
I have the Beethoven 60 CD set that is in your link and I would recommend it. I have been particularly enjoying the symphonies and piano concertos/sonatas. I have listened to about half of the set and I have not heard a bad recording yet. I would also say that I feel your list should include some Mozart as well. I don't have the complete set that you include in your other link but I like a number of Mozart CDs that include Alfred Brendel on piano. You might look at Arkiv.com for classical CDs as well.

David

Thanks David. I would love to get both the Beethoven and the Mozart sets, but I am thinking it would be a bit too much for my friend to carry. But, let me talk to him and see how much he would be able to carry. Ofcourse it doesn't help that he's a tee-totaller and probably would not be swayed too much on the promise of drunken binge fuelled by good country liquor and fried fish, but let me see!

BTW, Arkiv is blocked at work! Might have to check it this weekend then...

Last edited by dkfan; 11/16/07 06:49 PM.

Cheers!
dkfan #184244 11/16/07 09:54 PM
devotee
devotee
I think that should be arkivmusic.com

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #184245 11/16/07 10:24 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: doormat
I think that should be arkivmusic.com

LOL Yeah just found that out and this one's not blocked by my proxy. Also, since some of the titles were not available in arkivmusic.com, I am going to have all of them bought at amazon.com and go with 1-day shipping for the order.....

Cheers!
dkfan #184248 11/16/07 10:45 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
As things stand, this is my wishlist on Amazon!

Cheers!
dkfan #184259 11/16/07 11:41 PM
FWIW, THIS is the version of BMG Audio I recommend....not the one in your wishlist!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #184271 11/17/07 12:49 AM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
FWIW, THIS is the version of BMG Audio I recommend....not the one in your wishlist!

Well, well not to worry, I have taken care of it!

Just a question, do you think, I'd be able appreciate DVD-A (or SACD) similar to this one using my set up? I guess I will be getting a full blown stereo at some point in the future, but for now would have to stick to the headphone setup!

Cheers!
dkfan #184303 11/17/07 02:47 AM
Okay, I'm back(after exhaustive research, of course). As to how I knew that you're from India, in my work I have access to hidden information from all over the world, including India(except where to find good cheap classical CDs there). In this case, however, you mentioned it in a post a couple years ago.

You shouldn't necessarily drop Tower, because in-stock items are shipped to U.S addresses in not more than 10 days and their prices are lower on most items, with free shipping. They would send an email in a day or two showing CDs shipped. Any CD not shown as shipped should be cancelled, since that indicates it went out of stock and might take weeks.

On your first list of items, I'd suggest 1-6. Get the excellent Tchaikovsky collection(3.)from Amazon, because it's in stock there. On 7. you already have the Beethoven 5th, 7th and 9th, and the full set(duplicate of the 9th, item 4. on your list)isn't urgent at this time. On 8., unless you really like the Goldberg Variations I wouldn't suggest it for a first purchase. Additional suggestions(and I'll link Tower because it's easier for me to navigate)are: terrific bargain Rachmaninoff collection ; Hungarian Dances ; Dutoit with the Montreal in Daphnis et Chloe ; Berlioz collection ; Stravinsky collection ; Gaite Parisienne SACD ; Roman Festivals ; Rimsky-Korsakov collection .

Question 2.: I've had that SACD set about two years and it's excellent, but I wouldn't suggest it at that price, especially in 2-channel over headphones. If the complete ballet is necessary the CD set is a better buy. An even better buy is the CD(5. in your first list)containing about 60% of the music.

Question 3.: The Tchaikovsky set(3., first list)includes a fine 1812. For a complete Nutcracker(not just the suite), go with Gergiev .

Question 4.: In my view it isn't worth the extra money. The Mehta performance(1. on first list)is my favorite and much less expensive.

Question 5.: The essential cello concerto is the Dvorak, and it's coupled with Schelomo and Kol Nidrei here .

Question 6.: An older but very fine collection collection of Strauss Waltzes and Polkas is done by Ormandy .

Question 7.: Not enthusiastic about those mega-boxes and would pass and instead pick better individual items.

I'll stop now, but if you have any questions, ask of course.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #184606 11/19/07 08:30 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi All,
Sorry I couldn't get back in here earlier. I have ordered most of John's suggestions (except a few, boy I sure used up $300 in a flash!) and hopefully I should be getting them by December. I just can't wait! Thanks everyone for helping me out with your suggestions, appreciate all the help. Ofcourse I'll post my take on the music as soon as I start listening to them!

You guys are great!

Cheers!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082