Re: Help needed with classical selection - long re
doormat #184245 11/16/07 10:24 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: doormat
I think that should be arkivmusic.com

LOL Yeah just found that out and this one's not blocked by my proxy. Also, since some of the titles were not available in arkivmusic.com, I am going to have all of them bought at amazon.com and go with 1-day shipping for the order.....

Cheers!
dkfan #184248 11/16/07 10:45 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
As things stand, this is my wishlist on Amazon!

Cheers!
dkfan #184259 11/16/07 11:41 PM
shareholder in the making
FWIW, THIS is the version of BMG Audio I recommend....not the one in your wishlist!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #184271 11/17/07 12:49 AM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
FWIW, THIS is the version of BMG Audio I recommend....not the one in your wishlist!

Well, well not to worry, I have taken care of it!

Just a question, do you think, I'd be able appreciate DVD-A (or SACD) similar to this one using my set up? I guess I will be getting a full blown stereo at some point in the future, but for now would have to stick to the headphone setup!

Cheers!
dkfan #184303 11/17/07 02:47 AM
Okay, I'm back(after exhaustive research, of course). As to how I knew that you're from India, in my work I have access to hidden information from all over the world, including India(except where to find good cheap classical CDs there). In this case, however, you mentioned it in a post a couple years ago.

You shouldn't necessarily drop Tower, because in-stock items are shipped to U.S addresses in not more than 10 days and their prices are lower on most items, with free shipping. They would send an email in a day or two showing CDs shipped. Any CD not shown as shipped should be cancelled, since that indicates it went out of stock and might take weeks.

On your first list of items, I'd suggest 1-6. Get the excellent Tchaikovsky collection(3.)from Amazon, because it's in stock there. On 7. you already have the Beethoven 5th, 7th and 9th, and the full set(duplicate of the 9th, item 4. on your list)isn't urgent at this time. On 8., unless you really like the Goldberg Variations I wouldn't suggest it for a first purchase. Additional suggestions(and I'll link Tower because it's easier for me to navigate)are: terrific bargain Rachmaninoff collection ; Hungarian Dances ; Dutoit with the Montreal in Daphnis et Chloe ; Berlioz collection ; Stravinsky collection ; Gaite Parisienne SACD ; Roman Festivals ; Rimsky-Korsakov collection .

Question 2.: I've had that SACD set about two years and it's excellent, but I wouldn't suggest it at that price, especially in 2-channel over headphones. If the complete ballet is necessary the CD set is a better buy. An even better buy is the CD(5. in your first list)containing about 60% of the music.

Question 3.: The Tchaikovsky set(3., first list)includes a fine 1812. For a complete Nutcracker(not just the suite), go with Gergiev .

Question 4.: In my view it isn't worth the extra money. The Mehta performance(1. on first list)is my favorite and much less expensive.

Question 5.: The essential cello concerto is the Dvorak, and it's coupled with Schelomo and Kol Nidrei here .

Question 6.: An older but very fine collection collection of Strauss Waltzes and Polkas is done by Ormandy .

Question 7.: Not enthusiastic about those mega-boxes and would pass and instead pick better individual items.

I'll stop now, but if you have any questions, ask of course.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #184606 11/19/07 08:30 PM
dkfan Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi All,
Sorry I couldn't get back in here earlier. I have ordered most of John's suggestions (except a few, boy I sure used up $300 in a flash!) and hopefully I should be getting them by December. I just can't wait! Thanks everyone for helping me out with your suggestions, appreciate all the help. Ofcourse I'll post my take on the music as soon as I start listening to them!

You guys are great!

Cheers!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082