Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Energy RC-70 or M80's?
Worfzara #187533 12/11/07 11:00 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I pulled the trigger and bought them. I will pick them up tonight. As mentioned FS has an excellent return policy so i will basically have 30 days to try them out.

I read reviews and they are pretty solid for the RC-70's but the center channel and surround speakers that match with it aren't as well reviewed.

I know it's bad to mix/match different brands of speakers but I'm considering it. I know the SUB is usually the one speaker that is not always matching the others but what if my Center/Surrounds are from Axiom or Monitor Audio or another reputable brand? I know the only way to find out is to listen to them but I wouldnt mind some honest opinions on if i should even try that or just stick to the same brand for all 5 speakers.

The reason I didnt go for the M80 immediately is because of how picky it is with many receivers. I dont want to cancel out Onkyo or other brands based on the 4 ohms.

Worfzara #187534 12/11/07 11:02 PM
devotee
devotee
Just in case you were still waffling the RC-70 wasn't specifically part of the Friends and Family discount and is still $1500 at FS.

edit: teach me to use the back button

Last edited by doormat; 12/11/07 11:03 PM.

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
Infamous1 #187551 12/12/07 01:43 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: Infamous1

I know it's bad to mix/match different brands of speakers but I'm considering it. I know the SUB is usually the one speaker that is not always matching the others but what if my Center/Surrounds are from Axiom or Monitor Audio or another reputable brand? I know the only way to find out is to listen to them but I wouldnt mind some honest opinions on if i should even try that or just stick to the same brand for all 5 speakers.

The reason I didnt go for the M80 immediately is because of how picky it is with many receivers. I dont want to cancel out Onkyo or other brands based on the 4 ohms.

Congrats. The Energy's are very nice speakers but with out a comparison the return policy is not needed as I am sure you will find them very good.

It is not as big a deal for surrounds to be mismatched slightly, but the center should be as closely matched as possible. Tonal changes across the front can drive a person nuts.

Why were you looking at the M80's again? Wouldn't the M60 have worked as well and been even cheaper and no 4Ohm load? Just wondering.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Infamous1 #187560 12/12/07 03:11 AM
It's unfortunate that the point about the M80s being "picky" about receivers has been occasionally grossly exaggerated and has led to some passing up the Axioms because of their present or preferred future receivers. Again, any receiver can drive speakers, including the M80s, which are rated at 4 ohms; the question would be if they would be driven loudly enough and long enough for the particular listener's use pattern.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Infamous1 #187574 12/12/07 05:36 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Infamous1

What colour did you get, because if you mix match brands then aside from tonal matching you may have trouble blending colours with the mains and center...

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Infamous1 #187586 12/12/07 12:22 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Congrats on your purchase! I would still consider QS8s for surrounds as they will sound fantastic with mains of other brands. The center, though should be Energy for best results.

HAY #187648 12/12/07 08:04 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I got them in black which is probably best if i will be matching them with other speakers.

I think that is a good idea...to keep the fronts all the same brand but pick out better surrounds like the QS8! The black ones will match the Energy's nicely!

Infamous1 #188883 12/19/07 12:53 AM
regular
regular
Hey Infamous1!

Congrats on your purchase! I, too, lurked the Axiom forum for quite a while and found this to be a great bunch of people... so much so that I'm still around despite my purchasing something else! \:\)

I've had my RC setup for a little over a month now. I bought a pair of the 70s, the LCR, and 3 RC-Rs (one as a rear centre). I read all the same reviews as you, and considered ordering up a set of QS8s and testing them against the RC-Rs.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I have no issues with the centre channel, it sounds great, blends in with the front channels, and takes everything I throw at it. I have no issues with the surrounds, either - so I decided to keep them instead of ordering QS8s. I'm not sure how effective the monopole/bipole/dipole "switchability" of the RC-R is - there is no "left" and "right" speaker, so theoretically when you run in dipole mode one of the channels will be out of phase with the front speaker. That being said, I have not noticed any ill effects from this. I am running the two side channels as dipoles, and the rear centre as a bipole.

Overall, the sound from the RCs are quite "detailed". However, they are not "harsh" to my ears. I compared them recently to the Paradigm Monitor 9 & 11, Studio 60 & 100, Focal Chorus 736v & 826v, Polk LSi15, Klipsch RF-82 & RF-63 and in the past also to the PSB Image series.

I spent a lot of time with the Paradigm speakers - I found the Monitors to sound very harsh, but the Studios really nice. Similarly, I found the Focal 700v series to be harsh, while I loved the sound of the 800v series.

IMHO, the RC-70 is comparable to the Studio series, not the Monitors in the level of refinement in the sound. Similarly, they are comparable to the Focal 800v series.

I have been a little concerned that I may be taxing my AVR with these speakers (I have a Yamaha RX-V1200, 80WPC) so I just bought a used Adcom GFA-545II (100WPC but much higher current) and received it last night. Wow, that made a difference! The sound is a lot more dynamic, everything is "tighter", and the bass is quite full & deep.

The imaging with the RC-70s is incredible. If you get your speakers set up right (as a rear-ported speaker, they really like a lot of distance from walls) the soundstage is not only very wide (ie well past the speakers) but also very deep. This was a characteristic that I did not find with a lot of speakers - the soundstage is very 3-dimensional. Especially with female vocals, I have often found myself checking to turn the "surround" mode off, only to find it's in stereo!

Overall, I am quite pleased with my purchase and I'm sure you will be too. I would have loved to try some M60s and M80s, but return shipping from Regina was in the $250 range, and I knew I liked the sound of the Rcs.

BTW, great deal on the 70s you picked up - there are some benefits to having FS carry this stuff! ;\)

PS - make sure you try threading the spikes into the plinth... there is a production run of plinths that have the wrong threaded insert, and the spikes will not fit properly. FS will replace the speaker for you; or if you are convincing, they will swap out the plinths.

Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs.

cheers,
Ayan "orange260z"

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,014 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup