Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Its like christmas all over again
StuntGibbon #193623 01/24/08 07:00 PM
shareholder in the making
Yeah, I agree about people not understanding how it works being an issue.

I think I'd probably change around the screen buttons if it wasn't what suited me, but it is a pain to hook it back up to the computer and update it. Mainly because you have to find the cable...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ray3 #193629 01/24/08 07:39 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Ray3
I will take exception to the perception that the MX series are not family friendly remotes. The programming capabilities are incredibly powerful and flexible (one the advantages they have over the Harmony).

The thing that makes the MX series family friendly, IMHO, is that you can program it to be as simple or as complicated as you want. Since I'm single and childless, I have my really programmed very complicated. When I have it set to MOVHD (Watch a movie on my HD-DVD Player), I can control various functions on my TV, my receiver, and my HD-DVD player without having to change screens.

On the other hand, I'm programming my old MX-700 for my brother and his wife, both of whom are technically challenged, and I'm making it as simple as I can. EASY!

Originally Posted By: Haoleb
getting the MRF unit with the universal remotes or whatever its called with the other remotes is a really nice thing to have. You dont have to point the remote at the stuff, you can be nearly anywhere within reason and it will work and you can have your stuff hidden away.

The only downside, is you have to put them IR eyes on everything. And they are ugly.

You only need to put the IR "eyes" on your equipment if it's hidden, out of the line of sight of the RF Base station. My equipment is in the open, and my RF Base Station is on top of a tall secretary with a nice line of sight to my equipment.

"AHA," you say. "If you have a direct line of sight to your equipment, why on earth do you need to use the remote's RF capabilities and an RF base station." A reasonable question. And my answer is, "because, I'm probably the laziest person in the entire world" . I can be stretched out, all nice and comfy, in my recliner, watching Boston Legal, with the remote resting gently crosswise in my lap and, when the commercial comes on, I just push the channel button to change the channel without having to even pick up the remote and aim it at the equipment.

More importantly, if I go to the kitchen for a little refreshment, or to the bathroom for a little relief, if I take the remote with me, and suddenly one of those commercials that is 15dB hotter than any other programming comes on, I can turn my system's volume down without having to interrupt any important activity, such as making sure the popcorn doesn't burn.

Even more ridiculously decadent - I have a second RF base station in my bedroom. Let's say I'm watching a football game, and want to take a shower during halftime. A few minutes before halftime I can turn on my bedroom TV and change its channel, all from my living room remote, so it's all warmed up and running before I make a betweem-plays dash for the bedroom to take care of any necessary preparations, (such as removing one's clothing - I've always found this to be a wise move) before leaping into the shower when halftime starts. I never miss a play.

Originally Posted By: kcarlile

I don't see much sense in the big touchscreen remotes like the 1000 or the Pronto--if you can't feel it in the dark (or feel where the important buttons are at all), it's just hard to use.

Agree Ken. That's precisely why I switched from a Sony touchscreen to the MX series which, in my case, works much mo' betta.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #193640 01/24/08 09:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
on top of a tall secretary with a nice line of sight to my equipment.

"AHA," you say.

Yes.

"AHA" is EXACTLY what I said.

Still gettin' it done after all these years, huh Jack??

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #193657 01/24/08 10:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
on top of a tall secretary with a nice line of sight to my equipment.

"AHA," you say.

Yes.

"AHA" is EXACTLY what I said.

Still gettin' it done after all these years, huh Jack??

sec·re·tary
Function:noun
4 a: writing desk escritoire b: a writing desk with a top section for books

You, sir, have a filthy mind.

I love it!

Jack

Ajax #193736 01/25/08 01:41 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
 Originally Posted By: Haoleb
getting the MRF unit with the universal remotes or whatever its called with the other remotes is a really nice thing to have. You dont have to point the remote at the stuff, you can be nearly anywhere within reason and it will work and you can have your stuff hidden away. The only downside, is you have to put them IR eyes on everything. And they are ugly.

The MRF350 that I recently purchased off of Amazon (great price!) allows you to send IR, RF, or IR+RF on a line by line basis. So you don't have to use flashers every where. Also, my Marantz has Flasher-In jack (3.5mm stereo jack) so there's no need for a flasher in the front.

You only need to put the IR "eyes" on your equipment if it's hidden, out of the line of sight of the RF Base station. My equipment is in the open, and my RF Base Station is on top of a tall secretary with a nice line of sight to my equipment. [snip]

Another reason to have it is when you have somewhat complicated macros and you want to add some delays. My wife kept forgetting to point at the equipment for 5 seconds or so for the entire duration of the macro. So now, I don't have to worry about it.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #193741 01/25/08 02:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Hansang
Another reason to have it is when you have somewhat complicated macros and you want to add some delays. My wife kept forgetting to point at the equipment for 5 seconds or so for the entire duration of the macro. So now, I don't have to worry about it.
LOL! Yea, before I got the RF base station, when friends were over and I was running a macro while preparing to watch a movies and people were moving around the room, they'd often hear me say "HEY! Don't walk in front of my macro." Don't have to worry about that as much anymore. \:\)

Jack

Ajax #193743 01/25/08 02:44 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
LOL! Yea, before I got the RF base station, when friends were over and I was running a macro while preparing to watch a movies and people were moving around the room, they'd often hear me say "HEY! Don't walk in front of my macro." Don't have to worry about that as much anymore. \:\)

That's too funny. Sometimes, i would have to put my hands out (like a railroad crossing) to keep my kids from running in through the LOS of the remote and the equipment. Now, I couldn't care less.

But finding a spot w/o too much RF interference was a pain! I'm glad the MRF350 comes with an RF sniffer mode to detect interference!!

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Ajax #193750 01/25/08 03:19 PM
local
local
LOL

No MX here, but a Pronto. To help with this, I programmed an interim screen that lasts during the macro.

The family knows keep the remote pointed at the system until that screen goes away.

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.
mapatton #195026 02/05/08 03:45 AM
Haoleb Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Well went and installed the system today. Sounded pretty good! I really liked the new Ep350. Sounded good and really has some power to it without sounding boomy. Didnt really sit down and watch an entire movie or anything but played a few scenes from pirates of the carribean and I can definetly picture myself happy with the Epic master.

The owners are happy with it too. As soon as i hooked the sub up my dads friend came running out of the other room like "never heard that before!"

Also the first time ive seen the Oppo players in person and the 980 is a pretty nice player. I would probably get one if I watched more movies and didnt already have a cheap toshiba.

Anyway heres a couple pics as promised \:\) And yeah, i know the speakers are in the bookshelf but nowhere else to put em and its still heads and shoulders above the Bose system they had. Bought a bunch of Phillips Component video cables at walmart that were 27 bucks for 6' and come in a box with a book cover style cover that are pretty nice. Nice connectors and Soldered connections.

Last edited by Haoleb; 02/05/08 03:49 AM.
Haoleb #195033 02/05/08 04:29 AM
Very nice, Brandon; good show.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,122 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup