Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Audiobyte EPZero Subwoofer - Pics
jakeman #193492 01/23/08 07:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My EP0 is on the desk. I might try it "downstairs" in the weekend. Sounds perfect where it is right now.

I have a Soundbridge to stream my (only \:\( 400Gb) lossless music to the sound system. The upcoming Squeezebox with the LCD display on the remote is quite tempting! It really looks great.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #193493 01/23/08 08:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Additionnal: for those who were worried that the sub would eat up the 55W. My results are the following:

Piano solo: -1db with the sub on.
Cello: = with the sub on
Double bass: +1db with the sub on.

Conclusion: no adverse impact because of the passive sub.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #193504 01/23/08 09:40 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
I have a Soundbridge to stream my (only \:\( 400Gb) lossless music to the sound system. The upcoming Squeezebox with the LCD display on the remote is quite tempting! It really looks great.

I have my eye on the Squeezebox Duet as well. A friend of mine has it on order so I will see how it performs first. The one concern I've heard about it over the older version is whether the SQ is as good. Logitech has made some changes including power supply and replacing the terrific BurrBrown PCM1748E DAC in the Squeezebox v3 with the Wolfson® 24-bit WM8501. It may not make a difference but the forums are complaining about it. In any event that display on the remote is a great solution.

I was at a friends on sunday who had a music server using a small Mac with display into a Benchmark DAC 1.0. A bit more cumbersome and expensive solution than the Squeezebox but it sounded really good. We A/B/C blind to a Squeezebox Transporter. Not much difference until we connected the USB input into the Benchmark then it sounded fuller, more extended with deeper bass than the Transporter.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?HardwareComparison

John
jakeman #193735 01/25/08 01:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Funny thing, electronics. My sudden increased interest in the Squeezebox had been motivated by the rapid decay of my Soundbrige. It was getting worse day by day. Some strange electic noises could even be heard when on pause (on stop was ok, on pause bad ).

To finally have an answer, yesterday I took out some CDs and compared them with the output from the Soundbrige. Quite a difference and only a few days ago, there was none! To give it a last try, I took it out from the entertainment unit (where it was sitting on top of the vividly-hot HD-Cable box) and put it on my right M80. Hem... Works BEAUTIFULLY again. Tried 4 CDs (15 mins each) and I could not tell the Soundbride (playing lossless ripping) and the actual CD played by my Oppo. It was either heat of electromagnetic field coming out of that darn Scientific Atlantic (or something like that) box.

So, apparently I am no longer on the market for a streamer... Part of me says "pfff, after all these expenses, I'm glad not to have to fork another 400-500$". \:\) Part of me cries "I really want that cool remote with the LCD screen".

Actually, I am happy because at some point I wanted to have a second streamer for my bedroom! But that comes out of a different budget, so I'm OK! ;\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #193749 01/25/08 03:15 PM
local
local
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Funny thing, electronics. My sudden increased interest in the Squeezebox had been motivated by the rapid decay of my Soundbrige. It was getting worse day by day. Some strange electic noises could even be heard when on pause (on stop was ok, on pause bad ).

To finally have an answer, yesterday I took out some CDs and compared them with the output from the Soundbrige. Quite a difference and only a few days ago, there was none! To give it a last try, I took it out from the entertainment unit (where it was sitting on top of the vividly-hot HD-Cable box) and put it on my right M80. Hem... Works BEAUTIFULLY again. Tried 4 CDs (15 mins each) and I could not tell the Soundbride (playing lossless ripping) and the actual CD played by my Oppo. It was either heat of electromagnetic field coming out of that darn Scientific Atlantic (or something like that) box.

So, apparently I am no longer on the market for a streamer... Part of me says "pfff, after all these expenses, I'm glad not to have to fork another 400-500$". \:\) Part of me cries "I really want that cool remote with the LCD screen".

Actually, I am happy because at some point I wanted to have a second streamer for my bedroom! But that comes out of a different budget, so I'm OK! ;\)

Well I can say I have been more than pleased with my SB3!

Mark
Pio 94,SB3,BD30,A35,Pio 48AV.Pronto 7000 controlling all. Getting ready for 22s, 150 & QS8s.
mapatton #193751 01/25/08 03:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm pretty sure to get the new SqueezeBox Duet eventually! \:\) Just not now as I am recovering from A1400 purchase (member of the A1400 Anonymous support group).

Question: do you have to use their media server or can you use iTunes directly?

Last edited by EFalardeau; 01/25/08 03:20 PM. Reason: added "sure" to sound less girly...

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #193756 01/25/08 04:29 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I've reduced my purchase decision to a Transporter plus the Duet remote or the Duet receiver/remote combo plus an outboard DAC. Still undecided.

Meanwhile back to the EP0. I like the way it blends with the Audiobytes but wish it had a variable gain control instead of the boost switch for when a tune needs some help down low. Still, for the price its tough to complain. Its the right size on my desk and looks very cool along with the rest of the Audiobyte system. I tried different placement on the desk and it didn't seem to make much differenc to sound. It really is a great solution compared to my old tinny computer speaker sound.

John
jakeman #193761 01/25/08 04:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Depending on your sound card, you should be able to change the gain on your PC. They all have some advance utility with equalizers and stuff.

Some players (iTunes, for example) allows you to change the settings per song.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #193766 01/25/08 04:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes that's true, I could just leave the equalizer bars open. Because the sub is within arms length, I prefer just leaning over and adjusting with a variable dial rather than a switch setting.

John
jakeman #193768 01/25/08 04:59 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The big volume knob looking thing on the front isn't a volume knob?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,946
Posts442,492
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters