Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Scratchy Sound Problem - Please Help!
#19692 09/15/03 04:32 PM
cmuajp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I am having a problem with my new home theater setup. I am running 5 Axiom speakers (VP 150, M22, QS8's)with a SVS sub and a HK525 all connected with RCA 14 guage wiring with gold connectors. The problem I have is that I get a scratchy sound on the diologue when someone is yelling in the media content (peak sounds). Now I thought it was a problem with the reciever so I got a replacement from J&R and still have the same problem. I also thought it was a problem with the speaker so I switched my center with one of the front surrounds and still get the same noise. I also tried new speaker wire and that didn't help. This noise happens on all sources, regular cable (analog) and DVD (digital coax). I am running out ideas on what it could be. The only things I can think of are dirty power fromt the wall or that the replacement reciever is bad as well. What do you guys think? I was thinking about buying a power conditioner and seeing if that fixes it. I can probably get another reciever fron J&R but I am only going to request it as a last resort. I am running out of time on the replacement window (10 days) so any quick help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Re: Scratchy Sound Problem - Please Help!
#19693 09/15/03 08:34 PM
shareholder in the making
Most of us read all 5 of the boards. Please don't cross post!

Does this happen at all volumes? It's possible the receiver is clipping (design flaw or inability) or that your second one is bad as well.

When you listen in stereo, do you hear clipping on the dialog? That could indicate something as well, although I can't think what at the moment ;-)

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#19694 09/15/03 08:39 PM
It might be because the VP150 is a 6-ohm speaker (although the 525 should be able to handle it).

What I'd try doing is forcing the receiver into stereo mode (onlt the L,R, and sub channels active) to see if the crackling still occurs when you watch DVDs.

#19695 09/15/03 09:54 PM
cmuajp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Sorry about the cross post, here is an update. I tried the monster power conditioner - no help. Next I tried putting it in stereo mode - no help. After that I tried another reciever - no help. Tried another optical cable - no help. Then I tried another reciever, wire, DVD player and speaker, basically a new system and still get that noise. My test sound is in Lord of the Rings Two Towers, Chapter 9 where everyone on horses surrounds the 3 men. The guy on the horse asks them who they are and the dwarf replies, "Give me your name horse rider and I shall give you mine." In that line I get a scratchy sound twice. Once after Give and the other after "I". If any of you have this movie and can go to that part and tell me if it is common I would appreciate it. I picked that scene cause I remember it is the first time I heard distortion. Some movies are bad and some movies I can barely hear it. One movie that was bad was Identity, lots of yelling. I don't know what to do now.

#19696 09/15/03 10:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
lets back track a bit....

The speakers and sub are calibrated using an SPL meter? How does it sound with music?

-curtis

#19697 09/15/03 10:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Is the scratchy noise heard only on the center channel? Or is it from all 5 channels? When you sufficiently turn down the volume knob, does the noise go away even at the "problematic" peak passages?

I would also make sure that there is nothing in your room that rattles when exposed to a loud sound. This sounds dumb, but it actually happens and sometimes those rattling things give you an exact impression of distorted sound quality.

#19698 09/15/03 11:08 PM
cmuajp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Sounds pretty good with music as far as I can tell. The sound happens from the center only because that is where the voices come from. When I switch to stereo mode it also comes from the frond surronds. I have not noticed a distortion in the rears. It only happens when someone is yelling in a movie (peak noise). All the levels are calibrated correctly with an SPL and the volume is not excessivly high. There is nothing in the room that can rattle.

#19699 09/15/03 11:36 PM
poltergeists...

In all seriousness, this is pretty baffling. All the ideas I have as to the cause have already been suggested and ruled out. Hmmm...

#19700 09/15/03 11:52 PM
I'm also puzzled CM. Forget "dirty power", essentially a myth which would affect all channels if it existed. One thing I don't understand is "RCA 14 gauge wiring". Are you using a coaxial cable to the sub and regular bare speaker wire to the speakers?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#19701 09/15/03 11:59 PM
cmuajp Offline OP
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I just meant it was RCA brand Speaker cable. Just regular speaker cable. The only thing I can think of is some type of interference. Is that common?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,022 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup