Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Crossover Calculator
#19898 09/17/03 01:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just in case anybody is still interested in upgrading the crossover parts, GR Research sells very high quality capacitors and inductors. WARNING: These tend to be physically much bigger than the "ordinary" factory parts. You will need to replace the circuit board altogether in order to accommodate them.

Incidentally, the calculator linked above is essentially useless. Modern crossover circuits are computer-designed by taking the dynamic impedance characteristics of the drivers per se into consideration. The "textbook" (Linkwitz or whatever) filters rarely work properly, without LOTS of trial-and-error. There are a number of Wintel-based crossover design software available for serious DIY'ers.

So, if anyone is interested in "upgrading" the crossover without wrecking havoc to the speaker, I would recommend simply substitute each L/C/R part with a "better" one with the identical value. WARNING: As people repeatedly stated above, this will unlikely "improve" the sonic quality of the speaker at all. If it were me, I would build the speakers from scratch rather than wasting my time and money on the dubious crossover upgrades.

#19899 09/17/03 01:39 PM
slownlo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I understand that, but lets broaden the focus a little.

How does this effect the damping factor? Its common knowledge that The better the amplifier can provide varying amounts of current without changing the applied voltage to the driver, the more accurately the speaker will reproduce what the amplifier is trying to tell it to do. Its not simply an issue of "eeking" out moe wattage, but improving the symbiotic relationship between the driver and the source...

#19900 09/17/03 02:17 PM
slownlo Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hi Sushi,

Your points are well taken, and it seems like your opininon is valued within this message board community. You make my point partially by describing the parts sold by GR as "high quality"....as opposed to what and to what effect in use? )

Whats useless to you may not be to someone else Sushi. The calculator is just another way of introducing the less experienced to how the values of a XO's components change a speakers characteristic response to its input. Some people may be intimidated by the GUI offered by some of the windows based programs...and again (4x), no one should do anything that they are not personally comfortable with.

Maybe building speakers from scratch, though personally gratifying, would also be a waste of time (and money) considering the value and sonic quality to be had in the purchase of speakers already built (think Axiom).

I have read a few posts from folks here that have successfully changed values of XO components to pleasant surprise, and have managed to alleviate a "personally" irritatiing aspect of the speakers translation of input. Its not for the "faint" of screwdriver to undertake, but rewards can sometimes outweigh the risk. Anyway, I'll not beat a dead horse. Thanks for your responeses and God bless you.

#19901 09/17/03 05:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
In reply to:

How does this effect the damping factor?

The damping factor is an easily calculable function of the resistive network used in the filter. Assuming you're even using an inductor with a lower internal resistance than the original design (which I've not seen you demonstrate is the case with these speakers), the effect will be a (very small) change in the total resistive network.

A damping factor of 2^.5 produces minimal overshoot. In the case of your upgrade, have you calculatedthe original circuit's damping factor? It may very well be pretty close to 1.414 (and I'd expect it to be) and you may very well be pushing it away from this critical value, thereby WORSENING your filter.

#19902 09/23/03 08:11 PM
veteran
veteran
I wouldn't think there would be any debate as to whether a higher quality component could effect a change in the sound of a speaker, namely the crossover circuit. Just as the world's best amps and electronics do not skimp on .10 cent capacitors. It is relatively well known in the DIY community that the higher quality capacitors do change the quality of sound in the speaker. Just as you would use the highest quality foods in your meal you can definitely taste the difference. I know I can anyway. Now soldering and wiring is not an option for everybody, and in no way should someone change something they are not comfortable doing. But who ever said experimentation is a bad thing? Another great link is http://www.loudspeakers101.com.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters