what is your m-80 set-up?
#2019 03/13/02 04:55 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I would like to compare datas from different owners of axiom m-80 on: room dimension, how far from the front wall and side walls you placed your m-80's or 60's, how far is your sitting position, and did you experience any boominess or treble harshness at all as mentioned in some reviews.
These reviews seem to indicate that placement is tricky. It will be interesting to see how it translates in our real living room and if any of you had a hard time setting up your speakers.

Re: what is your m-80 set-up?
#2020 03/21/02 10:45 PM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
While it may sound like a generalization, the actual answer is - it depends. There are basic rules that dictate starting points for placement, the actual "best placement" will vary with environments. Speakers placed in certain positions can alter sound. This is especially true of low frequencies, which can be placed in corners that increase low frequency sound. This does not mean it has a positive effect, but simply that it will redirect all radiated low frequency energy.

Having spent many decades in this industry, I can tell you that it is an interesting art of placing speakers. Most people set them up, and simply leave them. Some listen and reposition them, and listen again. While there are some definite placements you may not like, it really takes some listening to decide. Also, your decor may dictate placement, and your significant other may have a major vote too.

#2021 03/22/02 06:49 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I have the M80s and I find them to be a excellent speaker. I don't think they are that sensitive to placement but maybe I don't have the most critical ears either.

My room is 27 x 10.5 x 7, we sit in 2 rows about 9 & 13 feet from the speakers. The sweet spot is set for the first row (but I will be experimenting with the positioning for the 2nd row more). The speakers sit between a large entertainment unit and the walls within a 2 foot wide area with ample area behind the speakers and the E.U.

The only time I have experienced any treble problems was when the volume was extremely loud and perhaps the speakers were not totally broken in yet.

Other than that, these speakers are superb!

Last edited by KevinS; 03/22/02 07:01 PM.
#2022 03/24/02 12:00 AM
connoisseur
Online Content
connoisseur
Or you have driven your amplifier to clipping. This would depend on the volume levels you attempted to attain. You mention extremely loud, and I would guess that you are driving either the amp to clip, or your amp is very powerful and you are stressing the speakers beyond reasonable limits.

I would suspect that the amp is clipping though, as damaging a speaker with sheer power is very rare.

#2023 03/25/02 09:27 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I don't think it was clipping, I believe it was the music itself being very high pitched and the frequencies at that level must have an adverse effect on my hearing.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 226 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup