Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 39 1 2 3 4 38 39
Re: Fitness Thread
St_PatGuy #203073 04/03/08 07:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I work out 6 times a week, and eat 6 daily meals, intaking an average of 200 grams of protein a day. On top of this I am also training in Hapkido...So what the heck is this thread about anyway? Just work out, eat right, lots of protein, don't forget that omega 3! and you'll be pretty darn fit!

Producer | Composer
www.robbhutzal.com
pmbuko #203078 04/03/08 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Ray and I are roughly the same size. The question is, where is he keeping the 30 extra pounds he has over me?

This might explain it...

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

Hutzal #203079 04/03/08 07:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice Hutz. I had to Wikki Hapkido. It looks like a very interesting martial art. I did nine years of Chito Ryu Karate and Kobujitsu (traditional Okinawan weaponry) before I wrecked my knee.

Depending on the school, martial arts are one of the best full body & cardio activities you can do. It also doesn't have to be violent, dangerous or knee blowing if you don't want it to be. Our School believed in teaching both students who were just looking for an interesting way to learn & stay in shape and also catered to the very competitive spirit.

I don't enjoy non competitive exercise as I get bored easily. A Martial Art keeps your interest because there is always more to learn. I truly miss it.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #203080 04/03/08 08:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
"MMmmhhhh, more barbecued salmon...."

Wild salmon. The farmed stuff is a lot lower in Omega three fats because of diet.

I agree that BMI is a crock. At 5'9.5" on an extremely good day I used to weight in at 185lb of pure muscle and I was not 'bulked up'. I'm supposed to weigh 155. I suppose I could get down to 170 if I really tried to get rid of those last few reserves of fat, but at 175 I am in very good shape. Well, was... Got promoted back to a desk job and have probably gained 5lb in the last two months.

FWIW, you can carry up to 20% body fat withought bad health effects. My brother spent 20 years as a medical research lab tech and did a lot of reading on stuff like this.

Keep active, eat sensibly, don't worry, be happy...

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #203084 04/03/08 08:35 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Nick,

For quick lunches and snacks, I slam protein shakes with skim milk. For my mid day meal, I blend up an EAS Myoplex shake and use EAS Whey Protein shakes for my mid morning and mid afternoon shakes. My first meal of the day is some sort of hot oat or wheat cereal to help keep the plumbing working right. When I get tired of the shakes (which is more and more lately), I eat a can of white tuna with just enough mayo to moisten it up along with relish or dill weed, and sometimes horseradish. I’ve learned to get real creative with tuna over the years. I do not eat bread, ever. I use low fat, whole wheat crackers with my tuna. I also keep a few high protein bars around for when I’m on the run. They typically have too much fat, but there are some that aren’t bad and taste pretty good. I’ve been lifting for about 25 years quite religiously and need to consume 200 grams of protein a day (I’m 5’10, 210 pounds and hover around 10% body-fat). I can’t do that without supplementing with shakes. Another thing to do is grill up a bunch of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and take them to work. Spice the crap out them and they aren’t bad with some wild rice. Brown rice is better, but I can’t stand the stuff…. I don’t eat potatoes unless they are yams or sweet potatoes. I don’t eat pasta either. I know that sounds like a dismal diet, but after eating like this for years, one does get used to it and I really appreciate the natural flavor and tastes of different foods that butter, oil and salt hide (including girl scout cookies). I also splurge one night a week and eat whatever the hell I want. It makes that meal soooo much better.

michael_d #203087 04/03/08 09:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good thread,

I just got home from the gym and had my Whey shake and a can of tuna for lunch. 6 months ago my wife and I decided to get back into the whole fitness thing, we both pretty much relaxed on it for around 6 years until both boys were in school, I've lifted weights or taken Martial arts most my adult life so other than finally quitting smoking its been an easy transition. I'm 6'0" 179 pounds so my goal is just to maintain my weight while cutting up.
The difficult part for us is finding healthy meals that are enjoyable for the whole family, and keeping to one glass of wine at night. Turkey Chili has become one of our big family favorites.
As was mentioned to be successful it has to be viewed as a lifestyle rather than a diet. Sure, when we are on vacation we will do some splurging on meals and drinks but that's an exception. I haven't felt better in years and watching my wife at the beach trying on new bikinis over Easter made it that much better. \:\)

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
michael_d #203088 04/03/08 09:21 PM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
J
Mike, I'm very impressed you stuck with it for so long!

Your diet has a very familiar ring to it when I was actually trying to get back into shape, and you and I are about the same size I'm 5'11. When I was much younger I used to eat everything under the sun, I tried one day to figure out how many calories I used to eat and it worked out to be anywhere from 7000 - 9000 calories and I had a very hard time making any gains at the time. Unfortunately I continued eating that way after I stopped my workouts due nagging injuries and work demands. You can sure pile on the pounds much easier at my age with out the work outs, and its so true, you are what you eat.

I usually take salads and chicken breast for lunches, with lots of carrot sticks and celery for nibbles. One trick I found is if you are out at fast food restaurants is to order a grilled chicken breast sandwich and just don't eat the bun.

One more factor we haven't touched on is a good nights sleep is also very important.

Sleep is something I don't very much of, but I wouldn't trade the time with my kids for an extra hour or 2 of sleep. The youngest will be in school full time in another year and a half, then I can start to really concentrate on the work outs and sleep routines once again.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #203089 04/03/08 09:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sleep? What's this "sleep" that you speak of?

I go to bed at around 12:30AM, some times 1AM, and I am up at 6AM for my day. On the occassional Saturday, I sleep in to about 9AM, but most of the time I am up at 7:30AM. Sundays, Up at 8AM. I have a hard time getting to sleep, but once asleep, I have a hard time waking up. (night owl)

Part of the problem is that I feel "guilty" going to bed when my wife is still up. I think that I need to talk to her about adding some sleep to my "fitness" plan.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #203090 04/03/08 09:50 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Sleep, it does a body good!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #203095 04/03/08 11:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just got back from the gym as well. (small gym at my work.) Made it mostly a cardio today with a small amount of weights. Usually it is the other way around.

I drink protein shakes typically after my workout and try and eat somewhat healthy. I drink maybe 1 or 2 cokes a week at most. I cut out fried food some time ago too. I have been trying to eat less red meat and more chicken instead. I weigh aprox. 175-180 and am 5'11". When I had access to the huge gym at OSU in Stillwater OK I was benching about 235 or so... Prolly MUCH less than that now because my workout are now by my self and I do less weight and more reps.

I don't add salt to anything but find a lot of items arleady come pre-loaded with sodium.

Good thread- Maybe you guys can post some good healthy meals that you like to make. (Cans of tuna don't count as a meal!)

This site might be worth checking out for recipes:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/RE99999

-David
Page 2 of 39 1 2 3 4 38 39

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup