Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I am afraid to turn my setup back on.....
#20562 09/22/03 07:43 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I know know what the speaker grilles are for...to protect speakers from idiotic roommates. I had the speaker grilles on my QS8 off for all of 5 minutes as I went to get something from my car and when I came back my roommate was screwing something back onto it...

I demanded to know what was going on and discovered that he had stuck his finger in and pushed on the tweeter but dented it. He had then unscrewed it and had pushed the dent back up. There are now scratches and a mark where the dent was. He didn't seem to care that I was upset that he had done that, he just kept saying that it didn't matter, and that he had already taken the time to fix the dent.... He also told me that I could have used a 20 dollar computer speaker in lieu of this speaker and get the same sound as he felt that the insides looked cheap.

So, I'm pretty pissed right now. I've got a very visible mark on the tweeter of my QS8 and a roommate who doesn't give a damn that he caused it.

I am scared to turn on my av reciever and play something through these speakers because I am afraid that the sound quality will suffer due to the dent... What do you guys think? Will there be a difference?

Re: I am afraid to turn my setup back on.....
#20563 09/22/03 08:00 PM
T
local
local
T
all i can say is "sucks"

#20564 09/22/03 08:13 PM
devotee
devotee
I would not worry about it tooo much, when I recieved one fo my QS8's, one if the tweeters was not working, I picked then had to use a screw driver to remove the tweeter and plug in the wire that had been knocked loose. I accidently dropped the head of the screwdrive on the metal part of the tweeter. Joe at customer service says that the dome is actually not important, it is more of a cover for the actual tweeter underneath and it would not affect the sound in anyway. Hopefully, this is similar to your case, if not, they sent me an extra tweeter and I did not ask for it, so I am sure you could ask them for a new one. That is what guarantees are for. If not, I could send you mine, it is still packaged. Good Luck!

#20565 09/22/03 08:15 PM
shareholder in the making
Sooooo, how much pot does this guy smoke?

I'd say kick him out or make him buy you a new speaker. Even if you can (and you probably can) get the tweeter replaced.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#20566 09/22/03 08:17 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Does that extra tweeter include a new dome as well? How do I install it? I was not aware that stupidity of roommates (grrrr) like this was covered under warranty.... If I can not get a new one, could you send me yours? Thanks!

#20567 09/22/03 08:35 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Hey Snippy, I just called about a replacement tweeter and they said that they would only do that if there was some sort of problem with the sound. I have not turned the speakers on yet to check if there is a problem with the tweeter's sound, but the aesthetics of it are really bothering me though. It's just that I paid a lot of money (for me) for these speakers and the first thing I see now are the scratches and marks on the tweeter when I look at the speaker. Could you please e-mail me at:
alcohen@charlotte.uncc.edu

I would be glad to pay shipping or whatever else you would like for the Tweeter. Thanks!

#20568 09/22/03 08:46 PM
aficionado
aficionado
"That is what guarantees are for"
wrong, a guarantee covers worksmanship, not a stupid roomate's actions.

#20569 09/22/03 09:37 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Update: The tweeter is junk now. It produces a scratchy noise and it cannot do the highs at all. The tweeter on the other side of the speaker sounds perfect.

#20570 09/22/03 09:44 PM
T
local
local
T
heh, no offense, but I had a feeling you would come back and say that either way, after reading your post about them telling you about the warranty coverage =)

#20571 09/22/03 09:45 PM
You have every right to demand that your roommate buy you an exact replacement tweeter. Do you normally get a long with him?

#20572 09/22/03 09:50 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Twopecker, LOL, seriously, I really WANT to be able for this speaker to be working perfectly right now. I just got my paycheck which gives me enough to purchase the last component of my setup, the M60Ti's, so I was looking forward to in a few days time seeing how everything sounds together. Unfortunately, what was merely an aesthetic problem before turning on, is now an audio problem. That tweeter just does not work. I have compared to the other tweeter on that same speaker as well as the two on the opposite QS8.

But yeah I do see how you could think I might be just making that part up though given what I was told. Unfortunately, I am not, and I have a tweeter right now that produces dull and scratchy noises....

I have always gotten along with this roommate in the past and I have now known him for two years. He had never before done something like this. I think of him as an imbecile now, this is something that a 5 year old who did not know any better might do. Really annoying!

#20573 09/22/03 09:52 PM
So if you short-sheeted his bed or played other pranks befitting an imbecile, he wouldn't punch you, right?

#20574 09/23/03 12:10 AM
T
local
local
T
folgersnyourcup, you're better than me...I just would have called them and made up some outlandish story about it breaking....the truth doesnt get you a free tweeter =)

Its not my speaker, but tell your roommate Im pissed off at him too....that would annoy the hell out of me...Im quite the selfish person, hard for me to live w/ a roommate.

#20575 09/23/03 12:37 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Twopecker, how much do you think they will charge for the replacement tweeter? Maybe I can get my roommate to pay that if it is a substantial fee? This stinks.

#20576 09/23/03 12:49 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I have tried calling back the customer service line for the past 3 hours or so with no luck... I kept getting a message telling me that he was on the other line and to leave a message. I finally did leave a message about ten minutes ago but tried calling back just now. This time I got an automated message telling me that my call was being forwarded to a voice mail box. It then said "The voice mailbox for Joel somebody (couldn't make out the last name) is full. Please hang up."

Dang, I was hoping to get to bed tonight with the peace of mind of knowing exactly what I need to do to get this all worked out....

Anyone know how much they charge for a replacement tweeter? If the guy who posted on here about mailing me one that he got but did not want could e-mail me, that would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by folgersnyourcup; 09/23/03 12:50 AM.
#20577 09/23/03 12:51 AM
T
local
local
T
No clue on how much it would cost. My friends know to stay away...I growl when they get within 3 ft of my speakers =)

At least that way I dont have to worry about broken tweeters

#20578 09/23/03 01:00 AM
Aaron, Joe at Axiom will give you that info if it turns out to be necessary, but it won't be anything major. Prices vary, of course but tweeters typically retail for about $20-$30 and I'd think that a factory replacement would be less than that.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#20579 09/23/03 01:05 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the reply John! Would the tweeter come with a guide for how to install it? If not, would I be able to find a guide somewhere or get help here? I know nothing about how to install a tweeter. You guys have been real helpful, I'm just upset that I'm not being able to enjoy these speakers right now (went ahead and turned my tv speakers back on....ugh). I LOVE my Axioms. (QS8's, VP150, and soon to have M60Ti's)

#20580 09/23/03 01:33 AM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Reminds me of my first college room-mate who once said "I washed the dishes and they didn't come clean. What do you want me to do?!"

So the tweeter can be fixed. Being a dumb-ass, there is no cure for that... !

Good luck

#20581 09/23/03 01:33 AM
aficionado
aficionado
you should tag sale some of his belongings to get your speaker replaced-and maybe have a little money towards your m60s...just for the aggravation...good luck...ron

#20582 09/23/03 01:36 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Man, nooooo body touches my gear.. I'd smoke his a.. and ask questions later..
Seriously, it's one thing to do something stupid, we all do now and then.. But to blow it off !??
You bigger than him ? haha.. If not, get some friends that are... Make him an offer he "can't" refuse..
If nothing else, just be patient.. He will have to sleep sooner or later, riiiiiiiight ???

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#20583 09/23/03 01:42 AM
old hand
old hand
Joe at Axiom is very helpful. When you get him on the phone, ask him to explain how to remove/re-install the tweeter. I don't believe it will be too complicated. There are others on this board who have removed/re-installed tweeters for a variety of reasons. Perhaps they will post with their comments, or you could try a search re the same. Good luck.

Cheers.

#20584 09/23/03 01:52 AM
Aaron, I haven't done it with my M22s, but once the tweeter is removed, the same wires are simply attached in the same way to the new one. Furthermore, your roomie apparently has a suitable screwdriver and was able to disassemble it enough to tell you how "cheap" it looked.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#20585 09/23/03 02:01 AM
aficionado
aficionado
fresh baked chocolate chip cookies left on the kitchen table with a touch of ex-lax????that would be fun...ron

#20586 09/23/03 06:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi folgersinyourcup

Very sorry to hear about your affliction - a room mate who is obviously a moral imbecile is clearly an affliction!

If the dolt took your speaker apart, your problem may be a damaged tweeter. However, the imbecile may have also damaged the crossover while poking around with a sharp metal instrument. It is astonishing that an adult or near adult would have such incredible disregard for the property and rights of another person. What that fool did was malicious.

How in the world did this idiot come to the conclusion that he had the right to take your gorgeous speaker apart? He'd be a fool to take his own speaker apart. But what kind of mentality would blithely permit him to operate on your property? Your speaker is not a toaster, or some inexpensive disposable. A QS8 is a beautifully made, beautifully designed combination of cabinetry and precision equipment.

I'd sit him down, tell him he just bought a QS8, demand he pay you for a new speaker, congratulate him on the start of a busted ass system of his own and tell him to never, ever touch your stuff again. BTW, get a new room-mate.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#20587 09/23/03 02:47 PM
local
local
If your twit of a roomate won't voluntarily replace your QS8 consider small claims court. While a hassle, it will be an educational experience for both of you. The issue with any court judgement is collecting afterwards, but if he has a checking account you should be able to collect. one advantage you have as a roomate is that it should not be difficult to obtain bank account numbers etc. Here in California there is an official small claims adviser to assist you in the process. Your county law library will also have materials to guide you as will the small claims court clerk. Nolo Press puts out a guide to small claims court you will most likely find at any library.

Your situation is what small claims court is intended for when people don't have the sense to do the right thing.

Mark
#20588 09/23/03 08:47 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Thanks for the suggestions 2x and Md. They may definitely prove to be very useful should the replacement tweeter not work. I talked to Joe at Axiom last night about getting a replacement tweeter and he said he would send one for free! I definitely thought there would be some charge, for which I would demand my roommate to pay, but I was pleasantly surprised that I will be charged nothing for it. This morning I decided to go ahead and purchase my M60 tower speakers so I called back and made the purchase over the phone and asked if I could have the replacement tweeter shipped along with them. I was told that would be fine and that it would be put in the box with it.

So, I think I will just let this all sit until I get the new tweeter in the mail and install it. If that fixes the problem then great, the most important thing for me is being able to use these speakers and get the great audio I was getting out of it previously again. If the problem is still there due to whatever he may have done inside then you can bet that I will demand he buy me a new speaker. LOL 2X, I like your suggestion to give him my old one and let him know that he can start his "busted ass" system with that as first component.

Either way though, I will make sure that he NEVER again touches any part of any of my speakers.

Thanks for the help everyone! I can't wait to get the M60's in the mail......Finally I am almost done building my setup! These speakers are awesome though. I can't wait to check out the M60's with the rest of my setup. I am 100% positive that they will sound better than the 15 dollars or so computer speakers that I am currently using as my fronts!

#20589 09/23/03 10:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Several points...

(1) We should be glad that our speakers are backed by a company that doesn't hesitate to provide GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

(2) I am still curious how the heck could this moron actually dent the tweeter -- he must have poked the dome from sideways around the diffuser cap. Unbelievably stupid! Is he a student at UNCC? -- I hope not!

(3) Not letting him touch your speakers would NOT be enough! He cannot and should not touch ANYTHING you own, until you say otherwise. Even better, you should kick him out or find another place yourself. I can readily see a broken volume knob on your receiver (if it is yours) due to a physical abuse by this moron.

#20590 09/23/03 11:37 PM
T
local
local
T
Sounds like you're going to have a nice setup when you get your m60's...you can come live with me =)

#20591 09/23/03 11:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've often wondered who the idiots are that push in all the cones on the speakers at Best Buy. Now I know.

Have you ever been to a large retail store which has speakers on display and they WEREN'T all pushed in?

#20592 09/24/03 12:13 AM
Idiots who damage speaker cones in stores are
...the same idiots who graffiti all over the place.
...the same idiots who think the world is their trash can.
...the same idiots who think the world is their ash tray.

Hmmm, maybe this should be in the pet peeve section?

#20593 09/24/03 12:35 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I always thought that the culprits at Best Buy were preteen/teen kids. But I guess I was wrong...

#20594 09/24/03 01:09 AM
local
local
I'm not sure your system will be complete without a set of handcuffs.

Mark
#20595 09/24/03 01:15 AM
local
local
At least a broken volume knob may prevent 5 blown speakers.

Mark
#20596 09/24/03 04:44 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
I think you should poke his nose inside-out. The jerk.

Walt

**************** Live to Surf, Surf to Live
#20597 09/24/03 05:42 AM
LOL!

#20598 09/25/03 01:29 AM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Hahahaha.. I agree, very very funny.. hahahahaa

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#20599 09/26/03 02:08 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
LOL, some of these responses are absolutely hysterical! I just wanted to update you guys on my situation. The M60's and replacement tweeter came in the mail today (I ordered them Tuesday, my god that is fast shipping!) and I already replaced the tweeter in my QS8. The replacement tweeter appears to have been fixed everything, the surrounds are now as good as new. And as for the M60's? Holy....I am new to surround sound and in the past have always settled for TV speakers. These coupled with my other Axiom speakers and the VTF-2 from hsuresearch.com makes a sound that is unbelievable. And the quality of stereo music solely through the M60's is breathtaking. I'm now going through all of my cd's!

Hehe, thanks for the support here and the clever responses. When me and my other two roommates brought in the boxes with the M60's in them (I live in an apartment with 3 other people) the roommate that had damaged my QS8 immediately came forward and started to open the M60 box. I just said "What the **** do you think you are doing" and he backed off instantly. Me and the two guys who helped me with the M60's think the same of him, perhaps it's time for him to go? Maybe he'll learn though.....or maybe not.

Any tips for amount of treble, bass, and mid, or volume levels? I will be purchasing an SPL meter from Radio Shack tomorrow and am looking forward to having some fun with that. Thanks again!

#20600 09/26/03 02:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
FIYC, this guy needs to be tuned up, if you know what I mean..... Who the hell does he think he is, anyway? It is obvious that he will NOT leave your system alone while you are out. He cannot be trusted. Save yourself almost certain future heartache and KICK HIM OUT NOW!!!!!

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#20601 09/26/03 04:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

the roommate that had damaged my QS8 immediately came forward and started to open the M60 box. I just said "What the **** do you think you are doing" and he backed off instantly.

Aaron,

I have to agree with Shawn here. It is clear that he has ZERO learning capabilities. A dog will behave much better than that. I am afraid he will do something bad again to the system, sooner or later.

I would leave the tone controls turned off till the speaker placement/levels/delays are optimized and calibrated with an SPL meter. Then I would first "live" with the sound for some time (perhaps while further tweaking the room placement etc) in order to "break-in" my ears/brain to the new speakers.

#20602 09/28/03 02:59 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
After damaging your speaker, if he was so stupid to think HE could even touch the boxs of your M60'S it's time to put his butt out on the steet.Who knows what he would do when you are not at home. Best of luck...

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#20603 09/30/03 01:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
no matter how mad you get,PLEASE,dont get a piece of fiberglass insulation and rub it on his bedsheets and then make the bed so that he will never know..please please dont do that....did you kick him out yet??...ron

#20604 09/30/03 02:13 AM
you give him a lot of credit by assuming he makes his bed.

I remember when I lived with 2 other guys. I only made my bed when I was expecting company.

#20605 09/30/03 02:14 AM
Making your bed consisted of throwing one comforter over the one that you slept on. c'mon, man....

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#20606 09/30/03 02:18 AM
ah, those were the days.

#20607 10/02/03 11:57 AM
devotee
devotee
Make the bed? How about close the door?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479