Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cambridge Audio vs Nad
#21177 10/08/03 05:08 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Of course I meant to type “later” but I hope you were laughing at the way I threatened it. I really did try it. As you may know from working with other equipment, for example copy machines, there are forces at work in the world that we scientists can’t quantify. That’s how it knows to be broken, or paper jammed, just before you really need a copy, or to send an urgent fax, and – you all have experienced this, no? There’s the strong nuclear force, weak nuclear force, electromagnetic force, and gravitational force. And one more that they will never get into a unified field theory - the “cussedness of the universe” force!

I actually started looking for integrated amps, on the net and in stores. One feature I really use on the NAD is the separate record out selector, because people still ask me for tapes of services etc. that I record on my DAT. I can make them copies without having to listen to it again, and again, and… Well, it seems that you have to spend big bucks for the big Yamaha or Denon integrated amps, or perhaps a one of the Rotel units are the only ones that retain that feature these days. Since the hum went away after a few minutes, I adopted a wait-until-it-really-croaks approach and kept my eye out for cheaper replacements. Someone pointed me at audiogon.com, but I never saw another 3140 or one of the classic Yamahas (still looking for a CA-810, just because I am of that vintage) that I could be happy with. Meanwhile, the hum thing has gone away. The bad habit now of looking for stuff on audiogon has not, however, and that’s a problem! OK, since January I have picked up a tuner to replace one that died, a DAC, a nice pair of Michaura M55s, and a Luxman receiver to drive them. Nothing over $175 but it adds up.

Rob, the Cambridge A300v.2 does look like a winner for $200 if you don’t need phono input or rec out switching. Adding $60 for the MM phono board is reasonable as well. Wait, no, I don’t need another amp. Wait, no ! LOL.

The NAD 320BEE does not appear to have phono input either. The rated power is more that I had thought (still thinking of the old 3020) and is equivalent to the Cambridge A300v.2. I see in your original post that you are thinking of the A500, which adds only 15 more rated watts, a preamp out, and remote control, for twice the price. I bet either would be fine for the M3Ti.

Re: Cambridge Audio vs Nad
#21178 10/08/03 09:18 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I didn't see the typo...

I would love to speculate on the cause of that hum (seriously). My first bet would be a contact problem in the ground line of one of the pre-amp inputs, which was so subtle that it went away when the temperature of the amp case increased to a certain point. Perhaps, it went away permanently because, when you "threatened" the amp, you might have also re-seated the problematic connection somehow... Can you swear that you did not change or tweak the setup when the hum "spontaneously" stopped?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters