speaker weight
#2188 03/25/02 05:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm interested in your speakers for 50/50 HT/music set up. However, I have not had the chance to listen to them. I've read comments that your speakers are comparable to the Paradigm Reference line, which is very impressive, given the price differences.

I do have a question on the weight of your speakers: they seem "light weight" compared to the Paradigm's and most other "hi-end" speakers. I would've guess that a big speaker like your M80 would need a lot of internal bracing and thick cabinet walls to help control resonance. And all the drivers must weight quite a bit! Is it a different design principal at work here?

Re: speaker weight
#2189 03/30/02 01:14 PM
Ian Offline
President
connoisseur
President
connoisseur
I don’t think I would classify any of our models to be "light weight" just due to the large motor assemblies we use in all models and components. The M22s and all the floor standing models also utilize thick cabinet walls. All the floor-standing models have wrap around internal bracing, the M80s having 3 of them. All of our models are an integrated design to be void of any cabinet resonance. We do not however make any of the models heavy just for the sake of being heavy.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer
#2190 03/30/02 11:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Anonymous

IT has been my experience that the weight of the speaker does not make the speaker. Just listen to some Axioms and you will see for yourself..

besides, carrying them home from work (where I had them delivered) was tiring on the arms! They aren't really that light. The last of your concerns when buying a speaker should be its weight. Give a listen, and you will see!

hapy listening !

#2191 04/07/02 10:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Weight is a by product of proper design principles. By building speakers and cabinets to eliminate or lessen the impact of the many problems inherent with building speaker assemblies, weight is accumulated. But there becomes a limit in terms of material cost, and effectiveness. You can make speaker cabinets from concrete, which would be very heavy....but would be an utter disaster sonically - cabinet ringing and resonance.

Many people also apply this "if it is heavy, it must be good" to amplifiers as well. Be cautious here as well, as it can be an indicator that proper design principles and materials were used in the manufacturing process. Something interesting about HT amps, and their weight. Many hifi amps weigh as much for 2 channels as HT amps for 5,6 or more channels. What does this indicate?

This should not be the sole factor in your decision.

#2192 07/21/03 12:28 PM
prz Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Hmm, so here's something. In Robert Harley's he says (page 409) that putting lead shot bags on speakers is a good resonance trick. I'm thinking right now of piling 10-20kg of plastic bottles full of sand or something like that on my M80s to make them heavier and dampen them out (at very loud volumes [ahem, 95+ dB], espeically deep bass these babies start to resonante and I have a quiet ear-based suspiction that mid-range starts to brighten up then but I was too lazy to pick up a dB meter yet). Whole idea came up after I was blown by african drums rendition on Revels (I think F20s) at my dealer's that I knew my Axioms could never get same way [ahem, the Revels were $20K+ a pair ;-)]. The Revels were 200 pounds or so each ;-) Any comments ?

#2193 07/22/03 11:12 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Switzerland ! Would love to visit there some day..
You bring up an interesting question.. Does additional weight applied to the speaker enclosure (internally or externally) add or detract from the speakers performance ??
If making the enclosure walls as solid as possible (no vibration) wouldn't holding the enclosure solidly on the floor increase it's performance in a positive way ?
I have asked Alan before about adding my own veneer to the M80 cabinet, and it's effect.. If I remember, he said that this would improve the cabinets performance, as each addtional layer of cabinet construction increases the stiffness of the walls.. This translates into less sound coloration by the cabinets vibrations.. A good thing..
Now, having said that, would hanging them in the air have just the opposite effect, as the entire cabinet would be allowed to vibrate ? Or, would you gain in hanging, by the fact that you can control the distance to adjacent surfaces, (walls/floor/ceiling) eliminating their effect on the sound waves emanating from the speaker ?

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#2194 07/22/03 11:48 PM
shareholder in the making
Hmm. Did you ever add your own veneer? Anyone? That might be pretty cool...

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#2195 07/23/03 03:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi prz,

There's no great challenge in designing great cost-is-no-object speakers at $20,000 per pair. Kevin Voecks is a good friend of mine who designs those Revel speakers, and they are excellent. Actually, Kevin's Revels are quite superior to those overpriced monoliths from Wilson Audio Specialties, many of which I've found disappointing.

But the real challenge is designing neutral, transparent speakers at $1,100 per pair, and the Axiom M80s meet those criteria with few liabilities. Try your resonance damping but just put the bottles full of sand on one of your M80s, then put up an acoustically transparent fabric in front and get someone to switch between them to see if you hear any difference.

Robert Harley is a nice guy, but attributes some of the most dramatic improvements in sound quality to things like AC line conditioners and cables. Doesn't that tell you something?

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2196 07/23/03 08:25 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Well, not to a speaker.. Yet... I have worked with the stuff on bath and kitchen cabinet remodels.. The trick, if there is one, is to do a very very good job.. Nothing looks worse than a sloppy veneer job, as the whole point it to make it look like it's made of something that it isn't.. .
It's the corner work that will kill ya..
I figured I could spiff up the look by adding something exotic to the sides only.. To bring some nice wood tones to that part of the room/system.. In no way am I doing this to change or alter the M80 sound.. I have no complaints there.. I love 'em..
And to amend my earlier statement of Alan's, he only said this would not hurt the speakers.. He did not say it would impove the sound, or, that any improvements in the sound were needed.. He was just answering a question on theory that I had presented.. I checked with him to be sure this would not hurt the speaker in any way..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#2197 07/23/03 11:49 PM
Not something I'm willing to tackle just yet. I was just curious; it might improve the WAF factor.

"What? They're not real wood?" "No, they're, um... something else.... But they look real purdy!"

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters