HDCD reproduction?
#22289 10/16/03 12:04 AM
K
KCSkins Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
K
A few months ago, Spiffnme was kind enough to inform me of High Defenition CD decoding. I didn't even realize that one of my favorite CDs had this capability, as it was pointed out to me on the back of the case.

Can anyone chime in here on if it's worth it to spend the extra money on a player that is capable of reproducing HDCD music? I haven't heard it yet, but of course, I'm interested in checking it out because I'd like to hear the full potential in my system and music. Is it worth the money to find a CD or DVD player that has the HDCD decoding ability? Is it really that big of a difference?

I'm currently in the market for a new DVD player, seeing that my HK is about to die on me any day now. I've noticed that a few of the Denon players have the HDCD ability, however, they're not really all that cheap. I don't want to spend the extra cash on one only to find out that the sound difference isn't worth the money.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Re: HDCD reproduction?
#22290 10/16/03 12:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Kevin,

My receiver can decode an HDCD stream. My CD player is not HDCD compatible, but when I use the digital connection, play an HDCD, my receiver's HDCD light comes on. On my system, it is not that big of a deal.

I think you would be better off getting a universal player for SACD/DVD-A

I did get a chance to hear a coupld of XRCD's. These do not require a special CD player, and they sound great.

By the way, I think Microsoft either owns or has some kind of investment in HDCD...if that means anything to you.

-curtis

#22291 10/16/03 02:43 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
I could be wrong but didn't HDCD stand for High Density Compact Disc before Microsoft got a hold of it?

I can't tell the difference between HDCD and red book cd. It's not like the obvious difference between DSD and red book.

But of course it could be that I just have a tin ear.

I have a Denon DCM-370 cdp with HDCD and they are pretty cheap on ebay or audiogon.

Have a listen and let us know what you think.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#22292 10/16/03 01:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi,

HDCD was originally developed by "Dr." Keith Johnson, a recording engineer, of Pacific Microsonics, and licensed out. It does not make a big audible difference. In fact, the technical explanation provided by Johnson at the time of its introduction was viewed as dubious by many in the A/V journalism community.

In fact, HDCD is a kind of compressor/expansion system that, with compatible players, will expand the dynamic range by about 6 dB to 10 dB. But, in some respects, it lessens the fidelity of a recording because if everyone isn't equipped with a decoder, then what they are hearing from a CD isn't as accurate as it might otherwise be with a non-HDCD-encoded disc.

Don't feel deprived if you don't have HDCD. DVD-Audio and SACD inherently deliver a far greater dynamic range than HDCD.

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#22293 10/16/03 11:45 PM
K
KCSkins Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
K
Hi Alan-

Thanks for a great response. That really helps to clear things up for me. I'll save my money on a player as it seems like I won't be missing much if I go without it.

Curtis- what receiver are you running? Was it an HK? Very interesting that it locks it in like you were saying.

MWC- I don't know about pre-Microsoft days, however on the HDCD webpage, they are calling it High Definition Compatable Digital (opposed to compact disc). Do you think that there may be a difference between this and the earlier form you mentioned?

-Kevin

#22294 10/16/03 11:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yup...HK 525.

#22295 10/17/03 12:20 AM
veteran
veteran
My H/K AVR520 also has built-in HDCD decoding. I actually bought an HDCD sampler, and it has some of the same tracks in both 16-bit and HDCD to "show" the difference in HDCD. I can't for the life of me hear any difference between the HDCD and non-HDCD tracks, but some people do claim that HDCD is noticeably better than regular cd's. DVD-A is a much more noticeable improvement to me.

#22296 10/17/03 12:44 AM
aficionado
aficionado
me too. just listened to two dvd-a's from aix while the house is empty except me, and the a's sound great. opps the wife is home, gotta go.
dan

#22297 10/17/03 02:43 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

they are calling it High Definition Compatable Digital (opposed to compact disc). Do you think that there may be a difference between this and the earlier form you mentioned?

Yeah, I saw that to and was wondering the same thing. I just don't know. Maybe Alan knows??

#22298 10/17/03 02:47 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

opps the wife is home, gotta go.

How does she feel about you being here with all the "Bad Boys of Axiom?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters