Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M22 Ninja Master Crossover review.
#229339 11/10/08 11:51 PM
J
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
J
The usual disclaimers apply to this as with all reviews ever done non-scientifically, these are only my findings and YMMV.

The music I have played on these speakers ranges from Holst' - The Planets, Van Halen, Pink Floyd,James Taylor and Simon & Garfunkel, to name but a few. I tried to put them through the paces as best as I could. I also played some DVD's, LOTR, U-571(lots of whispering in this).

Most of you know my system. It consists of a Denon 3808 and I stream music from my NAS with FLAC files. I did use my Samsung DVD HD-931 on occasion, but I found there to be no difference in SQ so I mostly used the NAS(for music only) for convenience. The M22v2 and the M22 Ninja Masters have the same db output with pink noise, so calibration differences are a minimum.

The combatants.

A close up of my light maple M22 and Greg's HG Cherry, what a contrast!

A couple of shots of the different networks, first up the M22v1 and the Ninja Masters.

now a shot of the M22v2.

As I have already eluded to, the M22 Ninja Master crossover's brought out more detail than I have heard before. On Diana Krall's - All or Nothing at All, there is a string pluck at the end that has great tone and presence to it, much like the real thing. I(those at the session also) could hear some back ground noise, what I thought sounded much like tape hiss. I have never heard that sound before and it is only really noticeable on this track, so it is not an electrical issue or anything else. Vocals come through crisp and clear. The fire crackling in LOTR, where Gandalf is sitting in front of the fireplace smoking, is so clear, I thought there was something moving around in the room creating the noise. The Ninja Master XO's also present better sound seperation from the instruments. You can really make out the individual sounds from all the instruments being used.

The soundstage is more expansive and encompassing as well, the clocks ticking and alarms going off in Pink Floyd - Time, literally surrounds the room in raucous alarm clock fashion, when I closed my eyes I thought I had bells going off over my head and coming from the other side of the room.

The bass comes through very nicely for the little bit that the M22's present, with Gwen Stafani's-The Sweet Escape, the bass is very evident and controlled.

There is a down side to all of this detail, there could be an increase in the perceived brightness by those that feel Axioms are bright in the stock form. There is more upper end detail and with this comes more sibilance. I have found most of Diana Krall's cd's to contain a fair amount of sibilance with my stock M22v1 and with the M22v2, that were used as a control sample. The Ninja Master crossover brings this out even more so. During Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence, there is an instrument that plays through the right speaker for most of the song. I have no idea what it is, but it is high pitched, possibly distorted and my said she couldn't stand it through the Ninja Masters, but it was ok through the stock M22 v2.

I must say that there were only a few cd's where this was an issue, most of the music and DVDs I played never sounded shrill or over the top, just more details and seperation and an expanded sound.

For the more lifeless cds(Van Halen - 1984), the Ninja masters could not add anything to help them out and some other cds just sounded out right bad(the latest offering from Simple Plan comes to mind) and I most likely would never play them on these speakers again.

Mojo stated "I really liked the sound of the Ninjas. However, I wonder whether I would like that sound day in, day out.."

I very much like the Ninja Masters and did prefer them to the stock M22v2 as well. This leads me to another note. When I returned my M22's to their stock v1 crossover, I thought I could hear almost the same vocals as on the Ninja Masters, they are more prounced on my M22v1 than on the M22v2, at least in my room and to my ears. I still have to confirm this with a quick A/B with Mojo and hopefully Greg and anyone else intrested in the comparison.....

Sean just pointed out through an email that one of the things he was looking for was better off axis response, if the Ninja Master M22s are sounding to bright, a toe out movement instead of the usual slight toe in may help. I guess I am not quite done yet. \:\)

Are these crossovers an upgrade? That is an individual decision, some will think so, others will not. Is it a change? You bet.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Re: M22 Ninja Master Crossover review.
jakewash #229341 11/10/08 11:55 PM
Interesting... it sounds appealing to me in a lot of ways. I'd love to see a frequency plot comparison between the two. I wonder what's happening there.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #229342 11/11/08 12:01 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Sean does have the off axis frequency plots on his web site or were you reffering to the v1 and v2 differences I am noticing? Alan mentioned to me they should be sonically the same but in my room I am sure I am hearing a difference between the stock v1 and v2.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229343 11/11/08 12:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jay, thanks for your time and your thoughts. \:\)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #229344 11/11/08 12:08 AM
Oh, I'm interested in on-axis, as reported independently.

Ajax #229345 11/11/08 12:16 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks Jay, helpful information!

Did you try playing them loud? Sometimes I noticed the M22's brake up a little bit when they are loud. Did the Ninja's change that? I was reading they said it helped.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #229355 11/11/08 01:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Jay, thanks for taking the time to set this up and share your thoughts. Comparing speakers is a time consuming and difficult task (at least for me). And, thanks for taking on the task of tackling this hot topic.

I think it's pretty cool you could hear differences between the two. You know, there are always gonna be people that want to tweak this and that, and there is nothing wrong with that. After all, we're in this hobby for the enjoyment, right? If the new crossovers enables someone to enjoy his or her speakers that much more, then it's worth it.

It's like taking a great speaker and then putting chocolate on it to make it even tastier! (Yes, there's a brownie analogy in there somewhere. . .)

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
danmagicman7 #229357 11/11/08 01:48 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
Thanks Jay, helpful information!

Did you try playing them loud? Sometimes I noticed the M22's brake up a little bit when they are loud. Did the Ninja's change that? I was reading they said it helped.
Your welcome and yes I did take them up to eleven a couple of times(Pink Floyd - DSOTM, how can you not?) and they were just as revealing with out any noticeable breakup, just crystal clear sound. They are a very impressive change up, but definitely not for everyone.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229359 11/11/08 02:02 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Now I just need to find a way to put both X-overs in there, and have a manual switch :-)

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #229361 11/11/08 02:10 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Funny you mention that, I was discussing that very idea with Mojo, I was thinking of a couple diodes to prevent back feed but mojo mentioned it wouldn't be a good idea as the diodes have some capacitance etc. We then decided a 3 pole switch would work directly wired. However, with the Ninja mounted on the bottom there is no room for the stock XO, but it is small enough it could be mounted to the sides of the cabinet. Go for it.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229362 11/11/08 02:52 AM
Thanks Jay, tell mojo to stop by the forums now and then, I've been worried about that guy.

In regards to the tape hiss sound, your most likely hearing the snare drum brushes that are often used in Jazz music. The first time I heard that with my 80's watching her concert in Paris DVD, I thought there was a recording flaw. Then I noticed the drumer was rolling the brush strokes which caused the sound and was on purpose.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

jakewash #229363 11/11/08 02:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Interesting review, if you consider the Axiom philosophy that many here share, i.e., that accurate rendition is always better than a pseudo-smooth sound that depends for its agreaableness upon masking the source material in one way or another, it sounds like the Ninja crossovers offer something special, you've been hearing content you never heard before and didn't even know was there in recordings with which you are familiar. With the M80s I have quickly adjusted to the fact that when I am not hearing something great it is the source material and not the speaker that is at fault, so I have zero perception of tradeoff, I want to hear exactly what the speaker delivers, good or bad, great or not so great, electronic artifice being no substitute for the thrill of sonic veracity, because when the real thing hits it's always a mindblower, to be there in the flesh.

Do you plan to keep the crossovers? If so it may be a matter of only days before you can discern if there is any tradeoff to the increased detail you are experiencing, so far the only downside sounds like awareness of inadequate recording techniques, and that doesn't get old, it just gets better, because you tune into the good stuff and leave the rest behind.

Thanks for the effort, please keep us posted.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
jakewash #229370 11/11/08 03:19 AM
Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you heard an obvious and marked difference. Did you try swapping the speakers positions, i.e. moving the maple ones to the outside positions, so that you could be sure that room placement wasn't contributing significantly to the differences you heard?

jakewash #229371 11/11/08 03:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for the review Jay. Did you try reversing speaker positions to see how that effected the soundstage?

Quote:
In regards to the tape hiss sound, your most likely hearing the snare drum brushes that are often used in Jazz music. The first time I heard that with my 80's watching her concert in Paris DVD

I noticed the same thing when I listened to the DVD. It took me a while to realize it was the drum brushes.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
jakewash #229385 11/11/08 03:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for taking the time to do this and post your thoughts.

Originally Posted By: jakewash

Are these crossovers an upgrade? That is an individual decision, some will think so, others will not. Is it a change? You bet.

For your personal taste do you think the $317/pair cost of the crossover enhances the sound of the $470/pair M22v2 enough to justify the additional cost? Any idea how the $787/pair M22vNinja compare to any other similarly priced speakers?

Thanks again for your effort,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
jakewash #229392 11/11/08 04:39 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fascinating stuff.

I am surprised to hear that they brightened up the M22's. If anything, I would have bet that they'd go the other direction and try to add more midrange warmth.

Thanks for taking the time to do this testing!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
fredk #229395 11/11/08 04:59 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Thanks for the review Jay. Did you try reversing speaker positions to see how that effected the soundstage?
Yes, I couldn't hear a difference.

Originally Posted By: sirquack
In regards to the tape hiss sound, your most likely hearing the snare drum brushes that are often used in Jazz music. The first time I heard that with my 80's watching her concert in Paris DVD

I am not so sure it is snare brushes, as it is such a constant sound through out this recording, it never subsides nor changes pace. It does make sense that it could be the snare drums, but as I recall, I can hear this behind the snare drums and when we switched from the Ninja's to the v2s the noise was gone and the snares are still there, at least at the volume level we had it at. Maybe it would have returned if the gain was turned up.

Originally Posted By: grunt
For your personal taste do you think the $317/pair cost of the crossover enhances the sound of the $470/pair M22v2 enough to justify the additional cost? Any idea how the $787/pair M22vNinja compare to any other similarly priced speakers?
That is hard to say, it has been awhile since I have listened to some ~$1000 bookshelfs and when I did I was never that critical, the price was beyond what I was looking to pay at the time. I will say that if you already own a set of M22s and are looking for more detail then the $317 is worth the money, just remember you my find them even more unforgiving than they already are, I know I did.

I think that might be my next round of listening tests. I found a couple of dealers here that sell the Monitor Audio GS10, they retail around $1000-1500.

Mojo does say hi to everyone and he said that if he wasn't so busy he would be around. Maybe I can convince him to drop in during Christmas if he slows down like most companies do.

JohnK, Mojo bought my line of you buying some M80's!!! Unfortunately I couldn't keep from smiling shortly afterwards.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229397 11/11/08 05:01 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Jay, I'll add another thanks. It's an interesting product, and I'm glad there are people like you on the forum who take it upon themselves to provide a little insight for the rest of us.

PeterChenoweth #229398 11/11/08 05:02 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth

I am surprised to hear that they brightened up the M22's. If anything, I would have bet that they'd go the other direction and try to add more midrange warmth.
I was a little taken back as well when I first fired them up. I think Sean realized who the purchasers are of the M22s and why we bought them in the first place. Dulling them down, so to speak, would not appeal to us Axiom owners.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229408 11/11/08 05:35 AM
Very good, Jay; at least you had Mojo fooled for a few seconds.

As to the listening impressions, as I commented in the Ninja thread seemingly eons ago, I would have been interested in a complete lab analysis by Axiom(with Ninja sharing of data)followed by double blind testing first for audible differences and then for preferences if differences were established. Although guesses don't count, I'll proceed to make a guess that if the described impressions actually exist, the factor involved would appear to be that the tweeter in the Ninja is mainly responsible(because of the much lower crossover)for a lot of the upper mid-range that the mid-woofers handle in the standard Axiom. Since changes in the crossover frequency are relatively simple and inexpensive, I'd also assume that Ian tried several different crossover frequencies in the design of the M22s and selected what delivered the best results with a wide range of program material.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

jakewash #229412 11/11/08 06:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

That is hard to say, it has been awhile since I have listened to some ~$1000 bookshelfs and when I did I was never that critical, the price was beyond what I was looking to pay at the time. I will say that if you already own a set of M22s and are looking for more detail then the $317 is worth the money, just remember you my find them even more unforgiving than they already are, I know I did.

I think that might be my next round of listening tests. I found a couple of dealers here that sell the Monitor Audio GS10, they retail around $1000-1500.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope you get a chance to test the GS10s as I’m interested in how the upgraded M22s perform against something priced higher. I’m looking at the possibility of getting some Chorus 807v (about $1,100) for a stereo only system. I planed to A/B them against the M22v2 once I get a house and can setup a dedicated room. The guy I bought my headphones from will let me take a pair to demo. The Ninja upgrade may provide another option should I find the M22s don’t measure up.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
JohnK #229415 11/11/08 06:56 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Cogent analysis but I'm always left to wonder after hearing the undiluted AE perspective, even when so eloquently expressed, whether something has been lost in translation because ears are so finicky, so slippery in their responsvity that I'm still not convinced we can eliminate all of the subtle if not even vague subjective impressions without running the risk of missing the boat to auditory bliss in a premature grab for scientific truth.

Just a thought. After the philosopher Daniel Dennett wrote the tome, "Consciousness Explained," Ken Wilber suggested the title really should have been, "Consciousness Explained Away."

Can you tell I'm really jonesing for my new speakers?

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
grunt #229417 11/11/08 10:15 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Dean, you could still try the Ninja Masters out, they are not hard to install and Sean does offer a money back guarantee much like Axiom, he has a 45 day trial period. There is only one way to know for sure if you would like the modded M22 sound....

I have not heard any Focal bookshelf speakers, but if they sound anything like the Profile 918's I have heard, you are in for treat.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
JohnK #229418 11/11/08 10:27 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: JohnK

I'll proceed to make a guess that if the described impressions actually exist, the factor involved would appear to be that the tweeter in the Ninja is mainly responsible(because of the much lower crossover)for a lot of the upper mid-range that the mid-woofers handle in the standard Axiom. Since changes in the crossover frequency are relatively simple and inexpensive, I'd also assume that Ian tried several different crossover frequencies in the design of the M22s and selected what delivered the best results with a wide range of program material.
I would have to agree on all counts.

Just another musing, we have said many times on this forum to would be owners, that the Axioms are detailed and when you play good recordings you are rewarded, as they sound SO good. The Ninja Master XO creates the same feelings and thoughts in me as when I first heard the M22s way back in 2003, only now the poor recordings are that much harder to listen to, but the good ones are even better.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229421 11/11/08 01:06 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Jay, thanks for the interesting review.

Dave
jakewash #229424 11/11/08 01:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks a lot for the expirements and the sharing, it was quite intesresting. I do have a question and a request, though.

Question: Did you guys swap the physical speakers with each other at some point to take speaker placement out of the equation?

Request: Are you in a position to try the new xover mixed with VP100/VP150 and QS-8 to see if there is a good tone match? Also, since soundstage was mentioned, there could be a different in phases (for better or for worse) and object movement transistion accross the channels could be affected.

Thanks in advance! ;\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #229429 11/11/08 02:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jay - awesome stuff my man. Thanks for taking the time to do the review. I really enjoyed reading your impressions.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #229434 11/11/08 02:50 PM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Thanks Jay!

bugbitten #229440 11/11/08 03:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting analysis. According to the Ninja's listening notes the crossovers are suppose to tame down the "percieved brightness" of the stock version. The biggest difference you noticed is the exact opposite. This makes a double blind test of the crossover even more appealing and pertinet, but I guess we will never know.

A couple of questions.

How well does the modded M22 match with your centre channel (what are you using)? Axioms centre channels (or if using a matching bookshelf) are designed for perfect timbre with the mains. The new crossover has obviously changed that based on your review. I wonder if the modded crossover would have a negative effect with multi-channel sources.

Thanks again for taking the time to do all of this.

Last edited by Dr.House; 11/11/08 03:51 PM.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
EFalardeau #229465 11/11/08 07:26 PM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Question: Did you guys swap the physical speakers with each other at some point to take speaker placement out of the equation?
Yes, made no difference but I am going to try them not toed in as much to see if that helps tame the sibilance, which, according to Sean, should help.

Quote:
Request: Are you in a position to try the new xover mixed with VP100/VP150 and QS-8 to see if there is a good tone match? Also, since soundstage was mentioned, there could be a different in phases (for better or for worse) and object movement transistion accross the channels could be affected.

I did try them with the VP150 and QS8s, I ran them as mains while watching a few different movies and I didn't notice any panning issues and the tone was still pretty good. The only times I noticed a difference was when only music was playing and I felt that there was nothing coming from the center, the music just filled the room. Once some dialogue or other center channel sound started up, the center/screen became the prominent point of sound again. The Eagles Farewell Tour DVD in DTS 5.1 still sounded great, maybe even a little better as the mains disappeared and the music just took over.

I have been trying to think of a comparison and came up with how I felt Audyssey changed the way my M80s sound. Those of you that have found an improvement with the latest Audyssey EQ, may find that the Ninja Master XO makes the M22 sound like the M80s do when Audyssey is dialed in, more open and airy. I have not tried the Ninja Masters with Audyssey to see what that does to them.

I may have to purchase them just to be able to keep them long enough to try all the new ideas coming in. I am wondering how the stock Ninja XO compares to the sound I heard from the Ninja Master.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229466 11/11/08 07:30 PM
F
old hand
old hand
F
Since I was present at the demo, I thought I would add my impressions of the modified M22's vs. the M22's ver. 2.

When I first heard the comparison, the difference in sound between the two was immediately apparent. There was more detail in the modified M22's. and subtle sounds were heard that were not heard on the stock pair. Diana Krall came forward and it was if I moved up a number of rows at the concert.

I did feel the modified speakers lacked bass and I believe needed the sub-woofer support more than the stock M22's. Did I enjoy the listening experience? Yes, the described detail was interesting and gave depth to several recordings. As Jason mentioned the alarm clocks on Pink Floyd seemed to be mounted on the walls all around us. But with the greater detail, a poorly produced source will suffer more.

Remember we kept switching back and forth continuously comparing the two sets. There was a time that the stock M22's were left on for awhile and as the memory of the modified's faded, I went back to remembering why I liked my 22's. What I guess I am trying to say, is that while true that Sean changed the sound of the stock speakers I (again personal opinion) would likely not spend the extra dollars for the change. As we all know, sound is subjective, some would undoubtably find the modified M22's "better" and would have to decide for themselves the cost/benefit of the upgrade.

If I can leave the modified M22's for know and make another comment. I purchased the M22's and a EP350 for a two channel music system. I initially wanted M80's but after trying my M60's in the place of the two channel system and did not like the physical size of the floorstanders and ended up making my decision for cosmetic reasons (that really means WAF). Although I have always enjoyed the 22's and sub I often wondered what the 80's would have been. On Saturday, I had the opportunity of comparing the 22's with Mojo's 80's. I truly felt that the 22's and sub compared quite favourably to the 80's and any doubts that I had not ordered the right speakers evaporated. I do not want to speak for the others, but I will say that even Mojo said he would have no issue recommending the M22's (stock) based on our brief demo.

As a last comment, I have to say how dedicated Jay is, in taking on all the demoing that he does. He really is quite objective and goes into these tests with an open mind. I dount I would have the patience, but it is sure nice to be able to enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Anyways, I will quit my rambling and end my opinions.

Greg

jakewash #229467 11/11/08 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for the answers.

See Mojo's signature
jakewash #229470 11/11/08 07:37 PM
What's the difference between the two?

Ken.C #229472 11/11/08 07:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile

The two what?

Ken.C #229473 11/11/08 07:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

If you mean price, the regular is 200 and the master is 320.

See Mojo's signature
myrison #229474 11/11/08 07:54 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Jason, I think Ken means the difference between the Ninja Turbo, the Ninja Master, and the new, improved Ninja Ultimate Series II.

Sincerest thanks to those of you that took the time to listen, analyze and report.

I still wonder how the Ninja Master would compare with a less expensive XO with the same specs. That is, I'm postulating that it's impossible to know how much of the perceived difference is attributable to the change in crossover point and how much is attributable to other factors.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ken.C #229476 11/11/08 07:57 PM
J
OP Offline
J
The biggest difference between the stock Ninja and the Ninja Master looks to be the price\:D, ummm, this is what Sean said to me

"... overall the same improvements will be heard. The difference is the resolving capability of the Master version is superior as well as the area of transparency. Bass is a little better with the Master version too."

Now to me, judging from this, since the M22 needs a sub to really fill out the low end any way, it makes the Ninja XO the more prudent choice for an evident change in sound, considering diminishing returns and all.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
tomtuttle #229477 11/11/08 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
the difference between the Ninja Turbo, the Ninja Master, and the new, improved Ninja Ultimate Series II.

Oh! Those two! ;\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #229481 11/11/08 08:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
When will he be selling improved M22 tweeter/woofer replacements for better clarity, bass, and soundstage?

Oh...wait

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #229482 11/11/08 08:54 PM
And I wonder if his claim (note, I use the term not in a negative way) based exclusively on components or if it's actually a different crossover point.

framer2180 #229485 11/11/08 08:58 PM
Thanks for all the participants for your impressions on the crossovers.

Originally Posted By: framer2180
As Jason mentioned the alarm clocks on Pink Floyd seemed to be mounted on the walls all around us.

To be fair, I get the same effect with my stock M22v2s. Pink Floyd uses mixing techniques that can really throw a stereo image around the room. I have a few CDs with tracks that create a soundstage larger than my listening space.

Ken.C #229487 11/11/08 09:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
And I wonder if his claim (note, I use the term not in a negative way) based exclusively on components or if it's actually a different crossover point.

Looks like a matter of both.

If you look at the graphs, the "blue" is the tweeter. Red and Green get swapped from graph to graph.

Anyways, it looks like the crossover point is at a lower freq and also the tweeter output was increased, explaining some "simblance"

Last edited by danmagicman7; 11/11/08 09:08 PM.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #229489 11/11/08 09:14 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Are there any research papers from scholarly sources that look strictly at the differences in the quality of components in crossovers (using the same crossover point). And if so is there any measurable differences.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #229493 11/11/08 09:34 PM
Measurable by electronic equipment is one thing. Whether or not the differences fall within the threshold of human hearing is what matters.

pmbuko #229494 11/11/08 09:36 PM
Oh, I meant between his two crossovers.

Ken.C #229502 11/11/08 10:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Personal opinion, I think Sean (aka "the Ninja") needs to simplify his marketing message a bit. That many different versions of upgrades for the same speaker just seems over the top and more confusing for would-be buyers, especially considering that most people are very happy with their M22s to start with.

It's hard enough for me to imagine that there is a way to markedly improve the sound the designers intended, but even if reviews like the ones above convinced me that it was in fact possible, I start to really scratch my head when I consider that the crossover designers propose x different ways to improve on the M22.

My unsolicited advice, decide on the best combination of price and performance for the stock speaker "upgrade" and put it up for sale. Once you've convinced someone to upgrade, don't make the final process even more confusing by forcing them to choose among a handful of options...

Jason

pmbuko #229596 11/13/08 01:27 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko

To be fair, I get the same effect with my stock M22v2s. Pink Floyd uses mixing techniques that can really throw a stereo image around the room.
I agree the stock M22s give a reasonable effect, but it is not nearly to the same degree nor have the same feel to it, as it does with the Ninja Crossovers.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229598 11/13/08 02:45 AM
 Quote:
I agree the stock M22s give a reasonable effect, but it is not nearly to the same degree nor have the same feel to it, as it does with the Ninja Crossovers.

I'll admit I'm highly skeptical of the degree to which this effect can be improved beyond what I've heard. I'd have to hear these crossovers myself to believe your description -- not that I doubt you heard what you're saying.

pmbuko #229607 11/13/08 04:08 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Nothing wrong with being skeptical. The M22 stock version really do an outstanding job in their own rite.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229609 11/13/08 04:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The M22 stock version really do an outstanding job in their own rite.

Don't get religious on us! ;\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #229632 11/13/08 06:39 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Rite on!!!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229649 11/13/08 04:14 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Rite Aid!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #229651 11/13/08 04:25 PM
<scooby>Rite row rye rink rime raking ris roo rar.

pmbuko #229663 11/13/08 05:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
hee HEE hee hee hee he.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #229664 11/13/08 05:29 PM
The question I have is it worth the cost of the upgrade?

SirQuack #229669 11/13/08 05:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Framer2180 mentioned in his posts I (again personal opinion) would likely not spend the extra dollars for the change. As we all know, sound is subjective, some would undoubtably find the modified M22's "better" and would have to decide for themselves the cost/benefit of the upgrade.

Personally I am not a tweaker so I do not see much "value" in these sorts of things. These type of products I would imagine would be appealing to the esoteric and "high end" crowd/industry who spend money regardless of the cost/benefit the product offers.

Last edited by Dr.House; 11/13/08 05:51 PM.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #229680 11/13/08 07:49 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I was thinking that the Ninja XO's would be good for someone wanting a different sound and are presently looking at other speakers, but already own M22's, then the $200-300 doesn't look too costly.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229697 11/13/08 09:38 PM
I should start a web company that sells an infrared-activated crossover switcher (remote included) that can switch M22s between the stock and Ninja crossovers. \:\)

pmbuko #229699 11/13/08 09:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
RF would be preferable. No bluetooth.

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #229701 11/13/08 09:45 PM
Nah, you'd probably get interference with RF.

Ken.C #229703 11/13/08 09:50 PM
or you could put the extra money towards 60's or 80's.

SirQuack #229727 11/14/08 01:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
or you could put the extra money towards 60's or 80's.

That’s pretty much what I’ve been thinking all along. Especially if you take advantage of the upgrade program.

grunt #229737 11/14/08 02:32 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Grunt, if you like the clarity of your M22's, the M60's might be a little setback for you. I would recommend taking the leap to the M80's. Just in case you were thinking of an upgrade...I did a review a while back :-).

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2
danmagicman7 #229738 11/14/08 02:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: danmagicman7
Grunt, if you like the clarity of your M22's, the M60's might be a little setback for you. I would recommend taking the leap to the M80's. Just in case you were thinking of an upgrade...I did a review a while back :-).

My post was a bit confusing, I was just talking about upgrading in general not me specifically. I already have 3 M80s up front and recently bought 2 M22s to try as rears but decided on an additional pair of QS8s. I liked the M22s so much I didn’t return them and plan to eventually put them in another room when I get a house. For now they are on top of the M80s to use when I don’t want to use headphones but also don’t want to bass extension of the M80s annoying my apartment neighbors. Thanks for the thought though.

Cheers,
Dean

grunt #229744 11/14/08 03:59 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So after all the hard work Ninja and his cronies put into advertising their product on Axiom's message board, is anyone actually going to be buying these things for their M22's?

Last edited by Dr.House; 11/14/08 04:02 AM.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #229746 11/14/08 04:07 AM
You know, I really don't think he had "cronies" or was particularly trying to advertise. Let's not start the ugliness again, please?

BlueJays1 #229758 11/14/08 05:35 AM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
So after all the hard work Ninja and his cronies put into advertising their product on Axiom's message board, is anyone actually going to be buying these things for their M22's?
I think I might resemble that remark.

I am still deciding about purchasing the lower cost Ninja XO or keep the Ninja Masters, with Christmas coming this really isn't the right time of year for me to buy this sort of thing, especially after my purchase last year of the 3808 \:\) .

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229766 11/14/08 06:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I think I might resemble that remark.

Can you cackle? I like cackling cronies.

Fred

-------
BlueJays1 #229778 11/14/08 11:52 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #229781 11/14/08 12:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've been waiting for this review for a while. I had no doubt that the speakers would sound different, and also guessed that they would sound "better". Higher quality components (and the Ninja does use very high quality components) will always make a difference. As many said, that part of the equation comes down to cost, and how much you are willing to pay for incremental improvements.

What I am REALLY interested in however is how much the adjusted crossover point contributed to making the speaker sound "better". Does the Ninja Crossover identify the inductor and capacitor values (should be measured in milli-Henries and micro-Farads, respectively). I'd love for someone to reconstruct the crossover using cheapo Radio Shack parts to see if it is the revised crossover setting contributing the biggest part of the perceived improvement.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
jakewash #229782 11/14/08 12:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No you don't resemble that remark. I give you alot of credit for what you did. I know the majority (including myself) would not be willing to take the time you put into this matter. It really shows me your dedication and passion towards this hobby and the Axiom family.

Last edited by Dr.House; 11/14/08 12:43 PM.

-Max Payne
SRoode #229793 11/14/08 01:48 PM
 Quote:
Higher quality components (and the Ninja does use very high quality components) will always make a difference

That's a blanket statement that is simply not universally true. I don't think Ian would be using the crossover components he is using if they harmed M22. Remember that the M22 has been refined through many (hundreds?) of hours of testing with the goal of creating the least-colored, most neutral sound reproduction possible.

Alan has touched on it already, but I'll repeat what he said. In repeated controlled blind tests, pretty much everyone favors the most neutral sounding speaker.

I have no doubt that the Ninja components have great specs, but specs are specs on paper. I'm willing to be that what makes the Ninja crossover sound different has much more to do with the different design than the quality of the components.

pmbuko #229814 11/14/08 04:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I never said that Ian used components that would harm the M22s, I said that the ones used in the Ninja are of higher quality. Would I be willing to pay for that crossover. Probably not, which is why I bought from Axiom.

I agree that I think the biggest contributor to the change in the sound is the modified crossover point.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #229816 11/14/08 04:43 PM
My response was mostly a statement of my own belief and faith in the process Ian uses to design his speakers. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. Honest.

pmbuko #229826 11/14/08 05:59 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I have been thinking of building the XO with lesser componets or the stock XO setting using the same components as with the Ninja's. Just trying to find the time to figure out how to set it all up and purchase the parts etc. this could take awhile, a very long while for me.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229833 11/14/08 06:27 PM
I'd love to see the results of that. It would be kind of cool if Ninja sold plans for his crossover, but that would probably get pirated pretty fast.

Last edited by kcarlile; 11/14/08 06:28 PM.

SRoode #229834 11/14/08 06:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
When I bought my M60 back in 2002, the m60s sounded too bright for my liking at the time. Alan suggested me to install a couple of resistors to the tweeters. To me, those resistors made somewhat of an improvement. A couple of years later I removed the resistor just to see if I could hear a difference, and hold and behold I heard an improvement as well; the resistors have been off ever since. My point is, I doubt anyone on this board has a trained ear to be able to tell what is better or worse sound when a change is relatively subtle. In my humble opinion, this product (ninja xo) is in the same category as the high-end audiophile/esoteric cables. The only difference is that a XO can indeed change the speaker sound signature; for the better? worse? I'm sure qualified people can argue this to death; it boils down to personal preference. But is this fuzzy 'personal preference' factor that companies like the SkingNinja and Monster exploits.
If you think a +$2,000 speaker wire is going to improve a speaker sound, well , here's another product that you might like: NinjaXO.

Side note: I used to pay +$150 for 15ft 1/4 plug cables for my keys/synthesizers; reason: durability & build quality; better sound was never a factor.

Last edited by JaimeG; 11/14/08 06:34 PM.

The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail. --Lindborg
JaimeG #229839 11/14/08 06:41 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I wouldn't put the Ninja products anywhere near the same category as Monster. Yes he has changed the XO point and altered the sound of the M22, of which there is no doubt(it is not subtle), unlike the unsubstantiated claims of Monster products. Whether or not the prospective buyer enjoys this change does come down to personal preference, which is why he offers the same money back guarantee as most other audio ID companies out there.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #229842 11/14/08 07:01 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:

I wouldn't put the Ninja products anywhere near the same category as Monster. Yes he has changed the XO point and altered the sound of the M22, of which there is no doubt(it is not subtle), unlike the unsubstantiated claims of Monster products.

I think that Ninjas claim of using better components than the stock m22 ox components would lead to improved sound still remains unsubstantiated. Now, I think we both agree in regards of changing the xo curves.

jakewash #229843 11/14/08 07:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Jaime. I think your point that sometimes the mere fact that it is a change makes it sound good is valid, but I agree with Jay.

Dr. Toole's research showed that overall all people, trained or otherwise, consistantly preferred the speakers with the flattest overall response. This is something that Alan has confirmed.

It would be nice if we could see anechoic measurements of the Ninja crossover to see exactly what is changing.

Fred

-------
fredk #229844 11/14/08 07:13 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:

Dr. Toole's research showed that overall all people, trained or otherwise, consistantly preferred the speakers with the flattest overall response. This is something that Alan has confirmed.

I completely agree with your statement .
However , what this has anything to do w/ the 'better components, better sound' claim?

jakewash #229846 11/14/08 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It seems many here are very loyal to Axiom's objective philosphy of establishing the connection between technical measurements and real listeners’ impressions of the products in double blind testing. For the most part this message board is very objective.

I think the majority of us would be singing a different tune (maybe even a few of us would have purchased them), if Ninja would have established any sort of connection with Axiom. Either getting the "o.k" with Axiom during R&D phase of the crossover, creating some sort of partnership (being able to advertise M22 crossover) on their website, or even sending the crossover for measurements and DB testing.

Considering the fact Ninja is profiting off using the design/r&d of the M22 loudspeaker, I thought it was strange about the whole patent thing. Anyways, I think one of the above would have helped market his product better.

Last edited by Dr.House; 11/14/08 07:31 PM.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #229847 11/14/08 07:26 PM
Shaka, when the walls fell...

\:\)

JaimeG #229864 11/14/08 09:54 PM
J
OP Offline
J
 Originally Posted By: JaimeG
...However , what this has anything to do w/ the 'better components, better sound' claim?
That is the only part I do agree with, which is why I am still looking into producing a XO with Soniccaps etc., with the same XO point as the stock M22. It has me very intrigued.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
pmbuko #229875 11/14/08 11:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Shaka, when the walls fell...

\:\)

Sokath, his eyes opened... \:D

JaimeG #229885 11/15/08 01:11 AM
axiomite
axiomite
[quote=JaimeG]
 Quote:
However , what this has anything to do w/ the 'better components, better sound' claim?

Absolutely nothing. I was referring to the two posts above that one. I should have quoted the relevant lines.

Fred

-------
fredk #231826 11/27/08 06:43 PM
devotee
devotee
Let Ian borrow your 22's with the added XO, and let's fire up the science.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,034 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup