You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » Advice from Axiom Owners » Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#229805 - 11/14/08 10:53 AM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: pmbuko]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Porch,enjoying Bombay Sapphire
I still hold Fred Penner near and dear to my heart ;\)

-Max Payne

#229806 - 11/14/08 10:57 AM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: BlueJays1]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Ben Lomond, California
Then you'll enjoy this.

#229866 - 11/14/08 04:59 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: BlueJays1]
alan Offline

connoisseur

Loc: Toronto/New York/parry Sound
Dr. House,

There is a French jazz pianist, Jacques Loussier, who plays jazz versions of Bach, and he's excellent. The discs are very well recorded--really fine acoustic or electric bass, and the miking of the drum kit is superb. I have two of his CDs--I'm sure they are on the Philips label. I've used them for years for speaker tests because of the great recording of bass, drums and cymbals. The piano sound is first-rate as well. He is technically excellent and I'm sure he studied and played classical Bach for years, then switched to jazz.

All my CDs are in my mega-changers, so remind me and I'll pull the Loussier discs out to tell you the names and disc numbers. It's the Jacques Loussier Trio.

Try some of the Telarc classical samplers. They are very good and present a variety of selections. There is also a Ray Brown (the bassist) anniversary CD set, where he invites a lot of differernt artists to record with him. Also some Oscar Peterson Telarc jazz discs that are quite good.

Regards,

#229871 - 11/14/08 05:57 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: alan]
pmbuko Offline

Loc: Ben Lomond, California
I second the Loussier recommendation. I have the Goldberg Variations disc and it is superbly recorded.

#229874 - 11/14/08 06:09 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: pmbuko]
St_PatGuy Offline
axiomite

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I've never gotten into jazz that much, but in my effort to gain an appreciation for it I'll definitely check Loussier out.

#229876 - 11/14/08 06:33 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: St_PatGuy]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Thanks for your input Alan! I will add those to my list as well:). Good stuff!

-Max Payne

#229899 - 11/14/08 09:35 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: BlueJays1]
JohnK Offline

Actually these already are my Telarc favorites; I had to make several cuts to get it down to that number. If any further cuts were needed I'd probably stay with discs 2,4,5,6,7 and 8. I didn't include any purely jazz CDs since my own listening is almost entirely classical(together with some of the older Broadway and Hollywood musicals plus some film scores, e.g. Bernard Herrmann for The Day The Earth Stood Still)and my jazz expertise is very limited. Gershwin of course was heavily influenced by the jazz idiom in his music and the suggested disc is a bit jazzier than most since it uses the original jazz band version of Rhapsody in Blue(played by an excellent Canadian pianist, the late William Tritt).

One amendment is that I noticed that just recently Telarc re-packaged its Vaughan Williams material into a 2 CD for the price of one set . Now, in addition to Symphony 2 and Lark, Symphony 5 and the Fantasias are included, making it an even better buy than the listed disc .

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#229916 - 11/14/08 10:49 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: JohnK]
BlueJays1 Offline
connoisseur

Thank you for your insight JohnK. You must have a pretty extensive collection of classical music?

-Max Payne

#229917 - 11/14/08 11:10 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: BlueJays1]
JohnK Offline

Yeah, have roughly a thousand CDs(which is by no means a huge collection), and about 96% are classical. As mentioned, I also have some of the musicals such as Show Boat, Kismet, Brigadoon, etc. and some of the film scores which can stand by themselves as enjoyable music even if the film itself sucked.

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#229918 - 11/14/08 11:17 PM Re: Telarc Jazz and Classical Recommendatiions [Re: JohnK]
myrison Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Denver, CO
I enjoyed the music from Show Boat quite a bit. "Old Man River" is always a good one. I haven't heard it forever and do have the CD somewhere. Thanks for the reminder John.

PS: After checking, it looks like I even ripped this CD to my network streaming files... queuing it up now! \:D

Jason

Edited by myrison (11/14/08 11:21 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,260 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,052 Topics
424,762 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters