Rate Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: HT Installation
myrison #230011 11/16/08 01:51 AM
N
veteran
veteran
N
I wish I could have my screen up a bit higher too. I have those damn bifocals (getting older) and when I recline, I end up looking through the bottom/reading part of the lenses. Thus causing a blurry picture. Just one more thing to consider.

Don't die with a clean shop!
NDinUSA #230020 11/16/08 04:00 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Oops--the VP150 is about 6 inches too long to fit into the table below the TV so I suppose it will need to be wall mounted above the TV!

So many things to consider when you're doing all this for the first time. \:D

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
SatKartr #230039 11/16/08 02:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It should sound more as intended if not inside the table as well (assuming that would be a somewhat enclosed space), so that's a double bonus, minus the fact that you have to wall mount another speaker. ;\)

You probably remember, but I use the full metal bracket for my (slanted) wall/ceiling mount of the VP150. I found that it works very well.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
jakewash #230063 11/16/08 06:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have my EP500 in the basement also and when I really crank it I can feel the bass shaking my deck at the other end of my house and can feel it shaking the ground in approximately a 10 foot perimeter around the house. The previous neighbors/friends to the left of me said that they could feel the bass in their house, and that was with a 150 W paradigm, I can only imagine what it's like now .

No complaints though

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
myrison #230095 11/17/08 12:23 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for the heads up, just placed an order for the full metal bracket.

SatKartr #230204 11/17/08 04:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Has Axiom given you a frequent flier card yet for all of the different orders you've put through? ;\)

Jason

myrison #230344 11/18/08 05:43 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Fedex strikes again, Go Fedex, I came home to a door tag, signature required for delivery, and thought what could this possibly be? I ran the tracking and Holy Smokes, what weighs 58 lbs and comes from Ontario?

I didn't think the amp would even ship until this week, I ordered it 11:00 am CST on Friday and Axiom shipped it International Priority with delivery attempted at 9:33 am Monday morning.

Of course I drove the 1/2 hour to pick up the amp, lugged it home and plugged in the M80s. Sounds great, no surprise there, and I think I will be happy with the power/level of headroom.

One question: when running the 663 as a pre/pro, are you supposed to keep the volume from exceeding 0db by very much? I have to admit I didn't understand that article Alan wrote about trying not to exceed 0db by much on your AV receiver, is he referring to both internal and external amplifiers, i.e., can you introduce distortion at the preamplification stage by boosting the preamp up too much? Talk about your newbie question, eh?

SatKartr #230346 11/18/08 06:03 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Now you're just rubbing it in SatKartr! it's bad enough that you have the 1400-8, you *had* to get it that fast eh! ;\)

The only shipment that I went to the UPS office to pick up (w/o waiting for redelivery) were my Yankee season tickets. Thankfully, my Axiom speakers all showed up while I worked from home. The guy delivering the speakers comment was "man...you're neighbors are going to *love* you with all this gear" \:\)

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
SatKartr #230348 11/18/08 07:54 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Sat, the first point is that the volume control is a variable resistor which controls the amount of voltage that comes into the pre-amplifier section from the CD player or other output device. At its maximum setting, regardless of what that is numerically, it lets all the voltage through(and lets no voltage through at the minimum setting)for pre-amplification, which typically might be about 12dB, which is 4 times. Whether there's significant distortion at the pre-amplifier stage depends on how high the voltage coming in from the player is at that instant; if the music is very quiet for the moment, the pre-amp may be outputting much less than a volt even with the volume control all the way up above 0 or whatever the numbering happens to be on that unit. If on the other hand the music hits a loud peak and the voltage(multiplied by the 4 times gain)is too high for the pre-amp to output cleanly, then there'll be audible distortion which will carry forward for the succeeding amplifier section(which will in turn multiply the voltage with a gain of around 29dB, which is about 30 times). So 0 or any other number doesn't necessarily constitute a magic dividing line; it depends how high the voltage coming in at that instant is as to whether the pre-amp and possibly the amplifier too will audibly distort(either or both may be unable to cleanly supply the required voltage output).

Of course, as a practical matter, if a receiver is to be calibrated to reference level(very loud)when at 0, then very loud moments in the program material would be unbearably loud and damaging to hearing if set above 0 regardless of whether the pre-amplifier and amplifier sections could handle it cleanly. Too loud and clean is still too loud.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #230362 11/18/08 02:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
SK - I also ran into this issue when running Zone 2 (as a pre-amp) from my Denon to a Sherwood receiver (functioning as the amp). Originally I had my universal remote programmed to regulate volume completely from the Denon, which turned out not to work very well as the way I had the volume set on the Sherwood (too low), the Denon had to be in the +5 or higher range to achieve the volume I wanted in Zone 2.

This resulted in clearly audible distortion even at very mild volumes. When I turned the Denon back down to ~-20 dB and regulated the volume from the Sherwood, the distortion disappeared and I was able to drive the M3s (Algonquins) to very high levels with no distortion.

What I was curious about is whether one could actually damage speakers by having the pre-amp voltage maxed and then listening at even modest gain levels on your amp?

Is the resulting distortion from this situation dangerous to speakers or just ugly to listen to?

Jason

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082