Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Athena speakers
Wid #232208 11/30/08 08:22 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello audiodreamer (cool)

No two loudspeaker systems ever sound exactly alike, even if all else is equal, all I can suggest to you is that I am familiar with Athena loudspeakers and for the price you really can’t go wrong. Athena is a respected name.
As with any speaker, the room their used in will have a profound effect on the sound you hear.
One more thing, I’m not suggesting that Athena loudspeakers are the best sound you can buy, I'm not sure there is a "Best loudspeaker out there" but some of the finest loudspeakers made are simple two way designs. More is not always better!!!

Enjoy

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men died to win them.
audiodreamer #232209 11/30/08 08:22 PM
O
onn Offline
connoisseur
connoisseur
O
Are you asking what works best in your situation? If that's the case only you can decide that based on price, size, sound. It's all a personal choice that only you can make. Audition speakers that you would like to have within your budget. If you like the sound and price that's what works for you. Others on the forum might have other ideas and I hope they might answer your question better than I have.
Mel N.

audiodreamer #232213 11/30/08 09:02 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: audiodreamer
 Originally Posted By: wid

Every aspect of the speakers design would have an affect on how it sounds.
With this in mind then how does one choose what works best?
It comes down to each speaker designer looking to have a particular sound for that speaker. There really is no best. This is why you have to listen to each speaker you are considering to purchase and decide which YOU like the best. I try to listen to many different speakers when I get a chance in a store and for the most part I would buy any one of them until I start to compare their indivicual sonic signatures, then you can start to hear subtilties, more detail from speaker A, better midrange from speaker B etc., they all sound good just different. As I bought Axioms I like the clear, clean, uncolored approach and I find many speakers out there sound slightly muffled in comparison.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
audiodreamer #232580 12/03/08 04:35 AM
hobbyist
hobbyist
My first post so please take it easy....For the money the older models of Athena speakers are not that bad. While I save to complete my Axiom set up I am running a set of AS-B2's and an AS-C1 center. They get pretty good bass response and fill in for movie night.
I wouldn't touch the new LS series of speakers. Every time I have heard them I walk away thinking. How did they screw up a good thing?
If you are considering Athena look for the older models.

Axiom M-80 V4 Rosewood
VP180 Rosewood
QS8 Rosewood
waiting on my EP800
chefaaron #232582 12/03/08 04:42 AM
J
J
I have to ask chef, since you are located in their area, have you been to Axiom's factory for a tour?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #232596 12/03/08 09:04 AM
F
regular
regular
F
Although you didn't ask me, let me respond anyway.

I have a cottage in Huntsville (about 1/2 hour west of Dwight) and the girlfriend and I arranged to have a tour last July. It was a great experience.

Everyone I met, and we talked to them all, from the warehouse people to the designers to the office staff (don't recall any names - sorry), were friendly and enthusiastic - a strange trait for people at work on a beatiful summer day. The factory is bigger that it looks from the road but much smaller than I expected, they were finishing more space inside when we were there.

The two of us were given a guided tour including everything from the cutting room for the cabinets, the soundproof acoustic chamber they use to test the speakers, an area where they blow things up to see how much abuse they can handle, the assembly line and warehouse. Best of all at the end of the tour they left us alone in their audition room - looked like a meeting room with a couch and someone's desk in the corner, an assortment of speakers, TV and some random things that appeared to be stored in there; not like some of the acousticly treated, sterile listening rooms you see in stereo stores but a room a lot like you would find in an ordinary house.

At our request they had set up the Epic 80-600 H/T speakers (the most expensive system) with a Shewood receiver - don't know which one. We brought a variety of our own music and had the room to ourselves for an hour or so. Impressive to say the least. We put the speakers through their paces in both 2 channel and surround modes; and had a great time doing it.

At home we have a Polk subwoofer and a pair of B&W 703's with a Bryston 4b in the stereo room and a pair of Thiel 3.6's with 2x Bryston 3b's in the living room. The experience didn't make me go home and sell them all off to buy Axiom's but when the kids are gone and the basement made into a home theater I don't think I'll consider anything else.

If any of you get a chance you should definitely go through the factory and see where the speakers are put together. The people were great, the tour interesting and you can get additional discounts if you pick up your purchases.

Last edited by FATMANBLOWFISH; 12/03/08 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
FATMANBLOWFISH #232598 12/03/08 10:14 AM
J
J
Thanks for sharing, always good to hear from those that are not Axiom owners and just wanted the experience. From the equipment you listed I can see why you are in no hurry, nor really need to change.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #232602 12/03/08 01:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Blowfish - great post. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

And Aaron, no worries, we'll take it easy on you. Contrary to most internet boards, we actually allow people to make positive remarks about other speakers here too. ;\) Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,044 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup