Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: HD Audio question
Ya_basta #234427 12/12/08 03:49 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
I do like the price of this 58" Plasma. I still can't afford it but I will be keeping this site bookmarked, Thanks Cam.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Ya_basta #234428 12/12/08 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
First off great thread Wiggins!

Lots of good info here.

So are saying if a receiver is not capable of passing audio through hdmi you can use the multichannel analogue outs on the back of the receiver (what you would use to hook a SACD player) to the blu-ray player and then you could receive all the lossless HD audio formats that are supported for all the BluRay movies.

What do you set your receiver to (Auto or PCM)?

This is some very cool info. :):):)

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #234431 12/12/08 04:16 PM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
First off great thread Wiggins!

Lots of good info here.

So are saying if a receiver is not capable of passing audio through hdmi you can use the multichannel analogue outs on the back of the receiver (what you would use to hook a SACD player) to the blu-ray player and then you could receive all the lossless HD audio formats that are supported for all the BluRay movies.

On Denon receivers there is an "EXT. IN" setting for 5/7.1 analog inputs.

What do you set your receiver to (Auto or PCM)?

This is some very cool info. :):):)

M80s,VP150,EP500,QS8(4)
JonHan #234436 12/12/08 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thanks for pointing that out Jonhan about the EXT. In. I was just looking through my denon manual and it supports 7.1 analog through EXT. IN.

How do you hook up the centre channel and subwoofer using a standard red/white analog cable through the EXT. IN?

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #234464 12/12/08 07:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
House.

With a setup like this, each input requires a single RCA cable. As you probably know, the typical red/white cable is usually used for Left + Right.

With 7.1 channels, you just need 8 single RCA cables, or 4 pairs or red/white. Each goes from the matching output on the DVD player to the matching input on the Denon.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #234469 12/12/08 07:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
So SW and centre channel correspond to left and right when using pairs? Since there is only 1 input for each.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #234480 12/12/08 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I was trying to say that the paired cables are really two single RCA cables that just happen to be connected together by their cable jackets. They don't actually know that they are typically used in a L+R pair.

So it's not that L+R correspond to SW and center, it's just that they each need a single RCA connection and it does not matter whether you use a paired R/L cable or two single cables.

As long as the RCA cable connected on the source (example the red cable connected to the center out on the DVD) corresponds to the input on the receiver (the other end of the red cable connected to the Ext In section), you'll get the correct sound out of the correct speakers. To extend the example, you could just as easily swap the cables and make the white cable connect on both ends (center out and center in), and you'd get the same result.

More clear now or did I muddy the waters further?

Jason

BlueJays1 #234481 12/12/08 07:59 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Becareful, you might be mixing up two different concepts here. The Center channel has one phyical cable with two cable strands inside: + and - (or black and red). But there isn't a LEFT center channel and a RIGHT center channel.

The Sub typicall uses one physical RCA terminated cable. If you have two subs, you need a Y splitter or subs that know how to daisy chain.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #234486 12/12/08 08:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hansang - I'm more than willing to admit I'm wrong (but at least to this point I'm not certain I am, or I'm actually saying the same thing you are in a more confusing way) \:\) I'll wait for others to come along and confirm one way or the other.

My understanding though is that each of the speaker connections from DVD player with analog outs to a receiver like the Denon with an "Ext In" section requires a single RCA cable.

Even though FL and FR are typically grouped using Red and White (see the picture below for reference), I didn't think there was a difference between using two separate single RCA cables and using a joined pair of RCA cables that includes a left + right termination in white and red. What I was saying above is that you could use 4 pairs of Red/white cables as long as you matched the ends to the associated inputs/outputs, or you could run 8 single RCA cables. The key in the end is that the opposite ends of the cable are connected to the corresponding inputs/outputs.

To further clarify, I am not talking about anything having to do with connections from receiver to speakers, I am talking about connections from a device with 7.1 analog outputs to the receiver.

Jason

myrison #234487 12/12/08 08:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: myrison
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I was trying to say that the paired cables are really two single RCA cables that just happen to be connected together by their cable jackets. They don't actually know that they are typically used in a L+R pair.

So it's not that L+R correspond to SW and center, it's just that they each need a single RCA connection and it does not matter whether you use a paired R/L cable or two single cables.

As long as the RCA cable connected on the source (example the red cable connected to the center out on the DVD) corresponds to the input on the receiver (the other end of the red cable connected to the Ext In section), you'll get the correct sound out of the correct speakers. To extend the example, you could just as easily swap the cables and make the white cable connect on both ends (center out and center in), and you'd get the same result.

More clear now or did I muddy the waters further?

Jason

Makes total sense :). Just be consistent red to red, white to white from receiver to player with sub and centre analog outs. Other than that really does not matter. Sounds a lot like speaker wire!

Thanks for the help :).

-Max Payne
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup