Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question about max watts for amp.
jimmienorton #238066 01/04/09 01:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Jimmie - thanks for the additional info. If you're running the amp to clipping and shut down, then you're probably a good candidate for separates. When I said "elsewhere," I was thinking specifically of adding a second EP500 or a pair of larger subs (EP800s). Their increased extension and volume capabilities might make a nice difference as well given the volumes you're listening at.

IMHO, the sub advice is more applicable if you listen to more movies than music as you'll notice the increased extension a lot more in movies. However, in a room your size, even for music at moderate volumes, having a second sub would likely smooth response throughout the room considerably.

On room size, I was just asking for an estimate of your ceiling height. If they're cathedral ceilings, a totally back of the napkin estimate would be to take the max height of the ceiling and divide by two (or take times 2/3 depending on the slope of the ceiling, etc.) as an average height for the room. This is far from perfect, but it gives a ballpark. i.e. if the peak of the ceiling is 15', assume a 7.5-10' average height in the room. If this was the case, you'd have 9,000-12,000 cubic feet to fill (based on your square footage estimates). In a room of this gigantic size, it seems like a second sub (or 2 bigger subs) would be a very good addition as well.

Also, back to your original question, from everything I've stated here you'd have no problem running the M80s at those power levels as they're built to withstand far more.

It goes without saying that I wish I had your problems. \:\)

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
Re: Question about max watts for amp.
jakewash #238096 01/04/09 07:37 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I suspect those that have shut down issues with their Denons are doing so under extreme conditions, such as driving all 7 channels in stereo or the M80s at LOUD volumes, like Jason reported not too long ago, these are the few folks that could indeed benefit from a seperate amp and that Outlaw sounds like a good choice, lots of brute force.

I listen to alot of music in 5.1 at loud volumes, this is where I get most of my shut downs. I could get something with a little less power but if I am going to spend this kind of money I wanted to get something that last me a long long time.

2-M80v2 VP150 4-QS8 EP500 DENON 4306 Panny AE900 Toshiba HD-XA1/PS3
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020