Why Axiom???
#238133 01/05/09 02:13 AM
B
BoB/335 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
B
Just wondering how many bought Axiom without ever hearing them. Also, for those that did listen to them first, what other brands were in the running and why did Axiom win out?

Re: Why Axiom???
BoB/335 #238134 01/05/09 02:19 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I bought Axioms without hearing them. I based my purchase on the reviews I read, their design philosophy, the return policy, the look of the speakers, and the functionality of the website. Who knows what company I would have supported if I'd done serious and exhaustive auditioning, but I haven't regretted continuing to round out my systems with Axiom speakers. I'm sure I'll still try another brand for a 2-channel music setup, just because, but I haven't been dissatisfied with what I've purchased at all.

CV #238135 01/05/09 02:36 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good question BoB/335

I ordered and auditoned Axiom because...

1) I read great reviews about their products as well as their prompt customer service in dealing with issues.
2) Their products fit within my budget and price range.
3) They manufacture their products in North America (Ontario, Canada).
4) Shipping costs are included in the price.
5) 30 day in home trial.
6) They do not put snake oil into any of their products.
7) Ethical business practices
8) I installed their products in my home and have been thrilled with their performance as well as the customer service since the day I ordered them...very happy Axiom owner here.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #238138 01/05/09 02:54 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I listened to a ton of speakers and finally decided I really liked the Energy C-3's. I'd heard raves about the Axiom M22's though, so what I ended up doing was purchasing a pair of Energy's and a pair of Axiom M22's and doing an A/B comparison at home. The Axiom's were hands down better. Their clarity was simply too good to pass up. I returned the Energy's and was happy as punch.

That is until some joker let me hear their M60's.

When it was time to upgrade, I again listed to a bunch of speakers, and again a pair of Energy's caught my ear. This time the Veritas 2.2's. Once again, I found a local dealer with a good return policy and bought a pair of the Veritas, and A/B'd them at home with the M60's. It was a tough choice, but in the end I gave the edge to the M60's. Partly because they were priced so fairly. The Veritas were $1500 msrp (I found a pair at half price!), the M60's were $800 (I believe at the time) at full price. I liked the idea of buying from a company that made a product that was equally as good as a $1500 pair of speakers, but not charging so much.

I've been a full on Axiomite since. I now own...

M60ti
VP150
QS8
EP500

Mzero
VPzero
QS2

M2ti

Algonquin M3

I can see myself getting some of their new audiobyte's in the future. \:\)

BoB/335 #238139 01/05/09 03:01 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I have yet to audition Axioms, and will make arrangements to go to the factory when I am able (about 3hr drive for me). The other speakers in the running for me are Paradigm Studio (+$$) and Monitor Audio Silvers (+$$), both of which also get positive reviews. From my research the M80s are very similar in sound to the Pdigm Studio 100s which are very highly respected as are the MA RS6/RS8s. The biggest difference is the price point however, there are literally hundreds of speaker co's out there but there are few that give you as much value in my opinion. Once you sift through the fanboy reviews and read the professional reviews, well... as they say....the cream rises to the top. Of course it's better for your own peace of mind if you can hear them first, but even if you couldn't, you know what you are buying is backed up by hundreds of great reviews plus a 30 day return policy.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BlueJays1 #238140 01/05/09 03:03 AM
B
BoB/335 Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
B
Aperion Speakers are free shipping BOTH ways. 30 day free trial. Seems to get good reviews and similar price point.
PSB
Energy

Just asking is all. There is another forum I have been visiting that seem to look down at anyone even suggesting buying a speaker without listening to it first.

Thanks for taking the time to humor me.

BoB/335 #238141 01/05/09 03:09 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't know anything about Aperion, I do know that you will have to go to a much higher price point with PSB or Energy to directly compare to the Axioms unless of course, you are able to get a really good clearance sale or something.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BlueJays1 #238144 01/05/09 03:32 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
I ordered and auditoned Axiom because...

1) I read great reviews about their products as well as their prompt customer service in dealing with issues.
2) Their products fit within my budget and price range.
3) They manufacture their products in North America (Ontario, Canada).
4) Shipping costs are included in the price.
5) 30 day in home trial.
6) They do not put snake oil into any of their products.
7) Ethical business practices
8) I installed their products in my home and have been thrilled with their performance as well as the customer service since the day I ordered them...very happy Axiom owner here.

That is word-for-word exactly how I would put my experience. The big things for me was value for the dollar & Canadian made. I almost went with a set of PSB's. They are also incredible speakers.
Axiom had the edge though in also offering great performance at a slightly better price. I LOVE'EM!!!

Last edited by 80'sMan; 01/05/09 03:33 AM.

Epic 50 - 500 System ( M50 / QS4 / VP100 / EP500 )
BoB/335 #238145 01/05/09 03:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bought them without hearing them but I had listened to speakers that were considered “similar” sonically and A/B compared them to 2 other brands B&W and Focal before deciding to keep them.

Have you decided what type of speaker (e.g. detailed, neutral, laidback etc…) you prefer yet. I’ve notice you posting lots of questions in forums about very dissimilar sounding speakers. Figuring out what sound you like should help you narrow things down a bit.

I “risked” ordering Axiom because of the following reasons:

1. They were reported by professional reviewers to be sonically similar to other brands I liked at a fraction of the cost.

2. Third party measurements that backed up what was being said about the Axioms.

3. Axiom’s straightforward business practices (e.g. shipping included in the price, building their own speakers, they offered basic speakers and charged others more if they wanted to upgrade to “pretty ones,“ low MSRP rather than having periodic “FANTASIC SALES!”)

4. Their NRC driven design philosophy.

5. The fact that Axiom reps and forum members talked me out 7.1 and down from the EP600 to the EP500. (gotta love a merchant who tells you to keep your money).

What I did not consider in deciding to what to try:

1. The opinions expressed by owners in internet forums about which brand is best. Once I decided on brands/lines I did listen to owners on which models might best fit my situation. (then I mostly ignored them )

2. How “pretty” the speakers were.

Why Axiom won!

They beat the crap out of B&W and Focal in the “best-bang-for-the-buck” race. I did think both the B&W and Focals I listened to were a little better but not near enough to justify the price difference.

P.S. The Axioms also got an honorable mention for coming in “silver and black.” How cool is it to have all your equipment in your team's colours.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
BoB/335 #238147 01/05/09 03:59 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I bought my M60s (custom oak vinyl finish) without hearing them.

Why?

I was upgrading my whole system. I was happy with my older (then Made in USA) JBL Floorstanders, but since speakers are so critical, I decided to upgrade them too.
To make a long story short....JBL, (IMO) dropped the ball, with their new, imported products.
I found the Axiom website, which is what sold me.. plus, the M60's features. (and a call to Axiom) The rest is history.
I'm a totally satisfied customer.

Then later, for reasons still unknown.......I discovered, and joined this forum.

Last edited by LT61; 01/05/09 04:02 AM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 23 24

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615