Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Mirage OMNI 260s / Klipsch
#23923 11/03/03 05:20 PM
OP Offline
Just wondering if anyone knows who the Axiom 60s sound compared to the Mirage OMNI 260s. I've listened to the Mirages, and like them, but I haven't had a chance to listen to the Axioms.

2nd question: do Axioms have a brightness like Klipsch does?

Thanks.

Shane
Re: Mirage OMNI 260s / Klipsch
#23924 11/05/03 03:45 AM
L
connoisseur
connoisseur
L
Firstly, as I found out early on, one should not use the b-word here. Having purchased a pair of m22ti's I discovered the b----- description of Axiom speakers is exaggerated. I would refer to them as being well balanced. There are many harsher sounding speakers out there, but not too many as well balanced. I was asking the same question at one time, but I am happy that I am now an Axiom owner.

Re: Mirage OMNI 260s / Klipsch
#23925 11/06/03 05:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi ShaneNine,

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. The Mirage Omni290 has very different dispersion characteristics than a direct-radiating speaker like the Axiom M60. A good direct-radiating speaker yields very precise soundstage and imaging, whereas omni-directional speakers like the Mirages deliver an enhanced, broadened and expansive soundstage with somewhat vague and imprecise imaging. That effect can be very seductive with certain music (large orchestral, classical and choral works) but can be annoying with lots of pop and rock music. And you definitely do not want omnidirectional designs for the front left, center, and right speakers for home theater. You need precision of imaging and soundstage for proper movie soundtrack reproduction. That's how movies are mixed--with direct-radiating speakers.

It's a different way of listening and you can't really compare the two. As to the b-word, no, Axioms do not have the concentrated brightness that horn-loaded designs like Klipsch deliver.

The Axioms are very smooth and transparent. If the recording is bright, you'll hear it; if it's well-balanced, that quality will be reproduced. Accuracy and transparency is what you'll get with the M60ti's.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082