Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Good subwoofer cable suggestions?
cgrface #241578 01/20/09 09:54 AM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
 Originally Posted By: cgrface
Ok, the more I thought about the "y" connector to daisy chain an in-wall line, the more it began to make sense that you could possibly use the typical "Y" that most use somewhere in the chain as an in-wall application as well. With the common leg presenting at the wall plate for sub duty, the other two legs would serve as an input and output to the next terminal. You would just have to be sure it is well secured at the input and output legs, i.e. solder or heat shrink or both.

I think that would work for most AVR and pre's with a single LFE output. Now if you are addressing a unit with mutiple LFE outputs, you definately would need separate lines for each sub location. That would be a nice problem to have!

I don't understand. Is it really that difficult or inconvenient to run a separate line to each location? Why wouldn't anyone want to run a separate line to each location?

BoB/335 #241590 01/20/09 01:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I ran a separate coax run to all my possible sub locations in the room that I never seem to finish. You can get very tidy 6 connector wall plates to terminate them on then just plug into whichever one you need. Should I ever actually run two subs, the splitter will be between the AVR and the wall plate.

Loops of coax to multiple boxes make for a bit more complexity to troubleshoot in the future should something funny happen. Because coax is so dirt cheap, I was thinking more about simplicity than I was concerned about electrical properties.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #241698 01/21/09 12:07 AM
B
aficionado
aficionado
B
 Originally Posted By: Murph

Loops of coax to multiple boxes make for a bit more complexity to troubleshoot in the future should something funny happen. Because coax is so dirt cheap, I was thinking more about simplicity than I was concerned about electrical properties.

Agreed! ;\)

BoB/335 #241754 01/21/09 03:21 AM
cgrface Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: BoB/335
 Originally Posted By: cgrface
Ok, the more I thought about the "y" connector to daisy chain an in-wall line, the more it began to make sense that you could possibly use the typical "Y" that most use somewhere in the chain as an in-wall application as well. With the common leg presenting at the wall plate for sub duty, the other two legs would serve as an input and output to the next terminal. You would just have to be sure it is well secured at the input and output legs, i.e. solder or heat shrink or both.

I think that would work for most AVR and pre's with a single LFE output. Now if you are addressing a unit with mutiple LFE outputs, you definately would need separate lines for each sub location. That would be a nice problem to have!

I don't understand. Is it really that difficult or inconvenient to run a separate line to each location? Why wouldn't anyone want to run a separate line to each location?

Just a bit more time consuming drilling out all of the wall studs for each separate run. The coax cost certainly isn't the deciding factor since it is relatively cheap. I suppose it is just the principle of the thing... why run 4 or 6 or 8 runs of coax when you could run just one with the "y" connections to make it a series. But then again, you would certainly have more options with the separate runs.

"Never, never, never give up "... Winston Churchill
cgrface #241759 01/21/09 03:36 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I ran separate runs of RG6 out to the six wall plates from the A/V cabinet, but I can see the pros and cons with each way of running. Right off the top of my head, the task of trying to find a break in the single/run system would seem like a pain but certainly not an impossible feat, what really are the chances of a break occurring anyway?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #241898 01/21/09 11:31 PM
cgrface Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Rick, can you recomend a connector/adaptor/wall plate that would do the job? Did you use the RCA Jack Keystone connector/wall plate like this http://www.ramelectronics.net/audio-vide...prod72300G.html

I was looking at the pic of your HT and I just can't make much out of the wall plate connecting your 600.

Amazing HT bt the way!

Last edited by cgrface; 01/21/09 11:41 PM. Reason: clarification

cgrface #241914 01/22/09 12:33 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bud, thanks for the compliment ... I bought F connector wall plates and had a local audio video installer terminate all of the connections, here's the type of plates I used, F Connector wall plate. And here is the installed wall plate in our room, Our installed wall plate. I can't remember exactly where I bought the wall plates from, maybe Radio Shack but I believe they can be found just about anywhere.

The reason I used an outside installer for the terminal F connectors is because they had the proper crimping tools and the meters to make sure all runs didn't have any breaks. I installed all of the other in-wall wiring and had them use the meters to double check for breaks in the system.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #241915 01/22/09 12:52 AM
cgrface Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Thanks for the quick reply Rick. I guess the biggest issue here for me has been in how to terminate the cable runs into the wall plates i.e. cable-connector-wall plate, or simply cable-wall plate if that is the way it is done.

Since I'm not much of a carpenter, and am having the basement finished by a construction company, I thought I would (at least) do the wiring for the speakers/sub as I did it with the surround sound in our last house without issues.

I've covered a lot of information on the different hardware options on this topic but it has all been online. I probably need to hit Radio Shack or similar outlet to see this stuff realtime and see how it all fits together.

Bud

cgrface #241917 01/22/09 01:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Bud I'd probably hit a local independent audio video retailer that also does installations and talk to them, they should be more than glad to show you the various connectors to use and how to use them. It may cost a little more to buy from them but the knowledge and help gained in the process is something you'll probably never get from the chain stores.

I had a lot of fun doing the planning and installs in our room, it was very enjoyable for me.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Murph #241931 01/22/09 02:37 AM
cgrface Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I ran a separate coax run to all my possible sub locations in the room that I never seem to finish. You can get very tidy 6 connector wall plates to terminate them on then just plug into whichever one you need. Should I ever actually run two subs, the splitter will be between the AVR and the wall plate.

Murph, Where have you found the six connector wall plates (for RCA)? I seem to only be able to find 3+1 coax...

Bud

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082