Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: The usual suspects...
davekro #247363 02/17/09 09:50 AM
local
local
Omnimount makes a center channel shelf that sits on top of a DLP-shaped set. Sanus makes one too.

MarkSJohnson #247413 02/17/09 05:46 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Have you tried the 150 above the TV?

No Mark I haven't tried the 150 above the TV. It might sound better there. I also thought about putting the LCD stand on a 3" riser so that I could set the center on the same shelf as the TV.

I turned recently it over to take advantage of the tilt provided by the cabinet top (a suggestion from another thread). I think that's the best combination of sound and appearance for me.

Bill

Whose avatar should I borrow next?
davekro #247423 02/17/09 06:23 PM
shareholder in the making
Dave: I sent you PM a couple of hours ago...(in case your little envelope isn't flashing)... \:\)

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
wilwom #247446 02/17/09 07:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Not that it sounds like you are going this direction, but I moved my center from under to over my 50" DLP and it did improve the clarity of vocals. I built a shelf from the wall that "levitates" over the TV by a fraction of an inch. The shelf is thinner than the center so it is not very obvious from the side, and invisible from the front (if the TV is in the right spot). The improvement was not dramatic, but noticeable improvement in clarity/detail at lower levels was obtained.

Let me know if you want detailed pics as I think I have the physics worked out (i.e., it did not fall or vibrate) but would suggest one change in the design.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #247485 02/17/09 08:39 PM
J
J
 Originally Posted By: Cactrot

When you say there's a "little edge" to the music on the m80's when turned up over 90db, do they become unlistenable at this volume? Do they become sibilant? How about when listening to the m22s at that volume? I don't listen loud very often but I'd like to be able to crank them (m22s) up once in a while.

By a little edge, as I said, it sounds more like live music. I find that when I am listening to live music at loud volumes, rock concerts, etc. the M80s give that edgy sound you find at these venues, is it hard to listen to? Some people find it hard, I don't. I just keep cranking up the volume, the harshness or brightness or what ever you want to call it, really doesn't bother me. I do find some source material to be offensive when it is a poor recording, but I just don't listen to them as loud and they still sound very good and then there are those recordings that you just don't want to listen to at all.

You sound like me in that many other speakers that are said to be warmer etc., I find to sound muddy, muffled, less exacting, and I do not care for them as much as the Axiom detailed sound.

The M22s I think do not get as harsh/bright as the m80's at louder volumes, but it has been awhile since I really cranked up the M22's. The only way you will hear distortion from Axiom's or any other well made speaker, is due to a distorted source or trying to run too loud and the amp starts to distort.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
davekro #247494 02/17/09 09:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: davekro

I have wondered if there is an on top of TV mounting solution sold for a center on top of a large DLP? Mine is a 73" Mits. where the screen is 61" high and only 3" thick at the top. mtg on top would likely make the TV even more dominating in the room(not a plus with the WAF). Now I have the center on the glass shelf of the OEM cabinet.

Dave I also have a 73" Mits and use the Omnit-Mount for the VP150, these pics show the the VP100 on top but I've since swapped and placed the 150 on top with the 100 on the TV stand...

Omni-Mount

Omni-Mount

Mine came in a grey/silver finish but I painted it black to match the TV, I've always found with a single center the best placement for me with the 73" Mits was on the TV shelf below the TV, the two combined really plant the dialogue in the center of the screen ... another option you may want to consider.

(Note to self: I need to get another VP150 one of these days to have a matching pair.)

Rick
Our Room

smile
MarkSJohnson #247508 02/17/09 10:00 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Dave: I sent you PM a couple of hours ago...(in case your little envelope isn't flashing)... \:\)

I finally got to it. I just do not understand how I keep getting so sidetracked here on these forums? (dazed, puzzled look)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
davekro #247512 02/17/09 10:16 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
Pay attention \:D

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Zimm #247513 02/17/09 10:16 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Not that it sounds like you are going this direction, but I moved my center from under to over my 50" DLP and it did improve the clarity of vocals. I built a shelf from the wall that "levitates" over the TV by a fraction of an inch. The shelf is thinner than the center so it is not very obvious from the side, and invisible from the front (if the TV is in the right spot). The improvement was not dramatic, but noticeable improvement in clarity/detail at lower levels was obtained.

Let me know if you want detailed pics as I think I have the physics worked out (i.e., it did not fall or vibrate) but would suggest one change in the design.

Zimm,
I do not think I would change to my center on top of my 73" Mitsub. because it is 61" off the floor and I think this would be too bulky looking for WAF and me too. But... Being that the center is a closed spkr, does it's SQ increase being in open air (on top) vs. on the glass shelf below TV. (≈ 1" top clearance, only [3] 4"W verticle wood slats 10" behind ctr) Not enclosed.

What might cause a difference in sound sound top vs. below. Oh, forgot who I was talking to. Forget the whats/ whys. Do people generally prefer it on top or on the bottom? Wait a minute, that did not sound quite right!
I'm talkin' center speakers here people! This is a family show.

Move along, nothing to see here.

That said, pics of yours on top might be interesting. ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 02/17/09 10:17 PM.

Dave

RickF #247516 02/17/09 10:27 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: RickF
 Originally Posted By: davekro

I have wondered if there is an on top of TV mounting solution sold for a center on top of a large DLP? Mine is a 73" Mits. where the screen is 61" high and only 3" thick at the top. mtg on top would likely make the TV even more dominating in the room(not a plus with the WAF). Now I have the center on the glass shelf of the OEM cabinet.

Dave I also have a 73" Mits and use the Omnit-Mount for the VP150, these pics show the the VP100 on top but I've since swapped and placed the 150 on top with the 100 on the TV stand...

Omni-Mount

Omni-Mount

Mine came in a grey/silver finish but I painted it black to match the TV, I've always found with a single center the best placement for me with the 73" Mits was on the TV shelf below the TV, the two combined really plant the dialogue in the center of the screen ... another option you may want to consider.

(Note to self: I need to get another VP150 one of these days to have a matching pair.)

Rick,
Very interesting. Thanks for your opinion on that with the 73" DLP that for one center, below on shelf is best. What amp / amps run your two center channels? I don't imagine you run both off one center channel output at 12 ohms do you?

I like those brackets Omni brackets though.

Dave

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,217 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup