Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Second Try
SatKartr #247725 02/19/09 03:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: SatKartr

Sound is excellent with two minor exceptions: 1) right M80 seems slightly crippled by rear projection being muffled by ventilation duct on bottom wall, to correct this I would need to slide everything to the left including placement of center speaker,

A trick I used in an old room, which might save the substantial work you are talking about, is to put a panel/screen behind the speaker (or all the way across the wall, or behind both speakers, whatever works for you). You can pick your price really, simple to exotic to match the room. Allows the air return to work fine, but gives you a point of reflection that you can control and deaden as you like.

Just as an example: screens or oriental
I built my own using closet doors from home depot, and you can make whatever size and design you like. Just an idea before you fire up the wrecking ball.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
SatKartr #247982 02/20/09 05:07 AM
HAY Offline
aficionado
aficionado
For your left QS8 not sounding right, have you played with the channels gain?

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss
Zimm #248136 02/21/09 03:22 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Thanks for the idea, I'll look into that, that was one of the main reasons I posted the pics, to see if anyone had any ideas to avoid having to hire some folks to re-install one or two speakers to make a slight, subtle yet to my ears perhaps substantial, improvement. \:\)

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."
HAY #248138 02/21/09 03:51 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Yes I have played with the channels gain quite a bit but not with enough intensity to fix the problem, since then in fact I ran the auto-setup on the 663 and with the auto gain level/distance tweaks everything now sounds much improved, the left qs8 sounds basically fine, not sure if my inner fuss-budget will beckon again. I am truly in slo-mo with regard to calibration of the system due to professional busy-ness, and not in a good way, as far as I'm concerned. Before the yamaha auto setup the left qs8 definitely sounded too "high" (the only speaker you could tell that was way up there above your ears, but admittedly it was way above the dolby specs, maybe 10-11 feet in comparison to 9 feet on the right, yet that made all the difference, especially with being flush up against the wall whereas the right qs8 was out there in space, so the precise locale of the left qs8 was more apparent). Continue to have serious problems with my rig (long story that I haven't begun to understand) so I ordered a 3808 to see if I can eliminate the bugaboos, at least insofar as likely suspects are concerned, it should come next week or earlier the week thereafter, I suspect with Audyssey I may be in good shape and would have to get seriously bitten by the upgradeitis bug in order to feel the need to shift the qs8s physically, at which point so-be-it, it's always been my overall karma to pursue sonic perfection (e.g., hey I used to practice guitar 10 hours a day for years, whenever I had the time, ouch it hurts to be me, but the audio might be worth it, I think it is).

SatKartr #248140 02/21/09 03:54 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Hey, I really hope the 3808 works out. At least you have a number of members on here who can help with any questions you may have. That has to count for something.

CV #248143 02/21/09 04:13 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Absolutely, that's what I'm counting on, a solid reference point to rule out the issues and distinguish between my ongoing struggles and garden variety HT problems.

I have to believe that when I figure out or accidentally kill the weak link these problems will go away, because I haven't heard anything similar (other than the DTS bomb which is another codec), which would match the defects.

onn #248148 02/21/09 04:31 AM
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: onn
No drooling, licking, saliva, front and rear rubbing.
I'm afraid to touch them because I'll leave leave prints on them and don't get me started on the dust! If they didn't sound sooooo gooooood I would have to try to get rid of them.

I feel you now, what beautiful Masters you have! Your WAF must be in the stratosphere, my sincere condolences.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020