Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 34 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 33 34
Re: System is shipped as we speak (so to speak)
tomtuttle #248779 02/24/09 11:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Micah, there isn't a speaker brand out there that doesn't have it's detractors. Try to not allow negative opinions to deter you from buying, cuz, if you do, you'll never make a purchase.

Likewise, positive opinions are no guarantee that any speaker is for you. Speaker preference is completely subjective. The only opinion that matters is YOURS.

Your square, hard surfaced room might be reason for concern, but it would be a concern with any speaker, not just Axioms.

I'll give you the same advice I gave Bob. Try to avoid letting your expectations get too pumped. No speaker will cure acne, eliminate cavities, or cause Angelina Jolie to jump into your lap (more's the pity ).

When the speakers arrive, fire them up the first time with an open, neither pro nor con, "we'll see" attitude. Indulge in at least 3 weeks of comfortable, relaxed, no pressure listening to a variety of music and movies, both familiar and new, BEFORE reaching any conclusions. During that period, try, as much as possible, to NOT listen to your system. Listen to the MUSIC; get into the MOVIE; ENJOY yourself. At the end of the 3 weeks, you'll KNOW if the Axioms are for you.

If you are dissatisfied, you may return the speakers within 30 days for a complete refund of your purchase price. Yes, you would pay the return shipping costs but, if you think of that as the cost of renting a set of speakers for 30 days to be certain they are what you want, that expense can be less painful.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #248790 02/25/09 12:14 AM
aficionado
aficionado
OK Micah, I agree with everything every one here has said.

I suggest you learn about the law of diminishing returns. This is the number one rule of audio. Up to a point, once you start doubling the cost you don’t necessarily double the sound quality. In fact you will find that even tripling or quadrupling a price will only yield minimal improvements in sound quality. Granted there are exceptions to every rule, to say that a $10,000 speaker puts a $5000 or even $2000 speaker to shame is far from audio gospel. Again each to their own and this is very subjective.

I look at it this way. The Corvette at over 90 grand is a sweet ride, but you can get a GT Cobra Mustang for less than half the price, It’s not a Vette, but hell, it’s a really fun car to drive and I’d love one in my driveway.

paul

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Ajax #248792 02/25/09 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Good points by all...

The one question I have is, after 3 weeks of listening, would I really realize how well I love the M80's? Or would I just be 'used' to them? In other words, by the end of the 3 weeks I may not think much is wrong with them, but then a few months later when my friend buys 'x' brand and I go over to his house I'll realise what a huge mistake I've made?

Ha ha, that's not for real, I was just teasin. I certainly wouldn't buy these speakers, even in trial mode if I truely thought I would EVER think it was a huge mistake! I don't think the M80's would ever be a huge mistake, I'm just curious now if there are speakers worth the extra $800 to move up into the $2000 dollar range. When I first started skimming this forum I was under the impression the M80's were in direct competition with speakers that cost between $2000 and $2500 dollar speakers. But now I'm sort of wondering if that's the case?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #248799 02/25/09 12:38 AM
aficionado
aficionado
So here is the frustrating thing about this hobby. You could listen to speakers that are $3000 and not like them as much as the M80's, and or you could listen to speakers that are $1800 and like them more than the M80's.

Because there is no governing body that regulates the price of speakers base on how they sound, any company can charge what ever they want.

I find that companies like B&W who make really good quality sounding speakers are very much over priced compaired to Axiom or even Paradigm. But the company still does well, because of a very well known brand name, maket perception and history.

I loved the B&W 703, but refused to pay almost double for to me what was a very small improvment in sound quality.

paul

Last edited by Worfzara; 02/25/09 12:40 AM.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990
Ajax #248800 02/25/09 12:39 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Micah,
Though I had been planning on M60's mostly due to the M80's 4 ohms, with my modest 90 wch Denon 1909, I too was curious about the M80's tremendous popularity here but also concern if they would be more treble-ee than I would prefer. I had not heard M60's spoken of that way. But then, MUCH less period is mentioned about M60's vs. the M80's here. I have read many happy M60 owners here. So for me it was somewhat easier to hold back on my more/bigger is better (for me).

All that being said, I hope to be auditioning some M60's Thursday (thanks to Adam :o). I was at Best Buy picking up some source demo material and took the opportunity to listen to some speakers that are pretty universally considered brighter than most speakers. I heard the Klipsch Icon W-35 towers (3- 5 1/4" bass + 1" twtr. Now I know that this level of 'bright' or accentuated trebble was not for me. The source was Dave Matthews &Tim R. Live at Radio City (BD not CD), which I was told was a good demo piece. It sounded annoyingly trebbble-ee and harsh to me. The Magnolia room was (short and wide) did not seem to help the sound.

Anyway, now I have some kind of frame of reference to know if, for me, the M60's are tame enough on the mids/highs for my taste. I still do hope to audition a pair of M80's. But as soon as I get my color samples from Axiom (next Tuesday :o( ), I will place my order (M60's, VP150, 4-QS8's). If I happen to hear and fall in love with the M80's AND be able to get over my concern of 90 watts/ch maybe not being enough for the M80's (AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD TO DO ON MANY OCCASIONS, EVEN BY Alan Lofft ;o), I'll call in to change my Factory Outlet order.

Bottom line, if you want to find out what 'bright' sounds like, go hear some Klipsch's. I've heard no one imply M80's are an in the 'brightness league' with Klipsch's horn type tweeter.

Disclaimer... Klipsch makes an awesome product. My wife just finally persuaded me to get rid of the Cornwalls I've had for 26 years! (bought when rock and roll could never be too loud! ;o)

Last edited by davekro; 02/25/09 12:42 AM.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Worfzara #248801 02/25/09 12:40 AM
D
devotee
devotee
D
Micah,

For what it's worth, I too was in a similar position as you. I can tell you I have over 4000 cubic feet of space I had to fill with sound, all hardwood floors, open floor plan, and concrete tile in the dining area. I lease my house and I have absolutely nothing on the walls.

I also researched speakers for about 3 months & had about $2000.00 to spend. I had an old set of boston acoustics A100's I purchased about 20 years ago and I wanted to be 100% sure this would be my last speaker purchase for years to come. I had read almost all the forums, even the "bright" issue on the M80's. I was very close to getting Salk song towers (glad I didn't) due to "the thread" on another forum as well as reviews. But, I took the chance and for what I wanted to spend, I could get the M80's and the EP350 sub.

Now, I am definitely 90% music / 10% HT, so I was really focused on 2.1 channel listening. Just one man's opinion here, but over a month later I cannot tell you how totally happy I am with my purchase. From my past posts, you will see that speaker placement was critical for me.

With my room the way it is, I have never perceived my system as bright or harsh. Even today I read about this speaker and that speaker and how great they are, etc, etc. All I can say is I personally have no buyers remorse whatsoever. I could have easily sent them back for something else, but why? I was happy, I was blown away by my new system, and "for me" & "my ears", I just felt I wasn't going to do any better for the money. Over a month later I still can't wait to get home from work and crank up the M80's \:\)

"IMO of course"

Dana

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740
Dduval #248805 02/25/09 12:47 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Dduval
I was very close to getting Salk song towers (glad I didn't)

Glad you didn't because you heard some later for comparison? Or happy you didn't because you're so in love with your Axiom's?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #248808 02/25/09 12:51 AM
veteran
veteran
In the 20 plus years I’ve been in this hobby and the dozens of speaker auditions I’ve attended and hosted, I have never heard truly terrible loudspeakers, at least ones manufactured by respected companies.
Respectfully everyone, they’re just loudspeakers! If you’re that worried about making a terrible choice, I suggest purchasing for a retail outlet. There are plenty of excellent choices out there.
Keep in mind, if your listening environment sucks, there are very few, if any, speakers that will accommodate your situation.

Axiom designs and manufactures decent equipment, and for the price, you truly cannot go wrong with this choice.

And that my friends you can accept as an AXIOM. ;\)

Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men died to win them.
Micah #248809 02/25/09 12:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Micah,

I live in Fishers IN (well, part time... usually on the road for work). I'd be happy to have you over to listen to my setup. PM me if interested. I'll be back home the weekend after this one (Friday March 6th and Saturday March 7th). I have a pair of M80s, two EP800s, a VP150, and four QS8s).

You bring the beer.

Steve

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #248812 02/25/09 12:54 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
Micah,

I live in Fishers IN (well, part time... usually on the road for work). I'd be happy to have you over to listen to my setup. PM me if interested. I'll be back home the weekend after this one (Friday March 6th and Saturday March 7th). I have a pair of M80s, two EP800s, a VP150, and four QS8s).

You bring the beer.

Steve

There ya go, ya can't beat that.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Page 18 of 34 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 33 34

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters