Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Large great room. 7.1 speaker placement & dipole v
davekro #249756 03/02/09 04:23 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I gotta learn how to split up quotes like Dean did above. would be so much easier. Maybe there is a FAQ I will find.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Ken.C #249760 03/02/09 04:38 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I dunno, Dave, after seeing your room, I'm not sure I want you to see my (extremely) humble abode...

I'd not worry about the amplification for now; you can always add an amp later if need be. My M80s run off of a H/K 75 WPC receiver.

Ken,
I have a funny story that relates. I moved here 5 years ago from the Blossom Valley area of San Jose where I lived for 18 years. It was a standard 3/2 house built in '72 that had never really had much of any updating. When I was looking here in Discovery Bay,some friends in my Ski club pointed me to another couple in the ski club that I did not know who was selling their house (this one). They had done all the remodeling. taken out walls, new kitchen, floors etc. When My wife and I saw it we went nuts. But now the funny part... I had a family gathering here. My sister-in-law, who is the sweetest person, burst out with: David, this is WAY TO NICE FOR YOU!" I said: "I KNOW, ISN'T IT GREAT?" Moral to the story is we got VERY lucky. Someone from up above was smiling on us that day!

Good to know on your amp and the M80's! Adam mentioned he and Peter knew you and that you are expecting very soon. A big congratulations papa! I now understand your hesitancy for an audition. \:\) Adam may come knocking on your door if he gets booted out because some wacko from the forums blasted out the neighbors last Thursday during a demo. ;\)

Dave

davekro #249762 03/02/09 04:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

If you have the option of moving the bookshelf you might want to try an experiment. Position the L/R mains a little ways out from either side of the TV symmetrical with the TV where it is, and pull them out off the front wall a little. The idea here is to get the mains far enough out off the front wall so that the first reflection from the L/H main isn’t coming off the bookshelf and back at you. That will help create a more symmetrical and wider front soundstage. And should also help the L/H main to blend better with the L/H side surround. If this sounds better to you then move the bookshelf to another spot so the speaker won’t be blocking. The wall will still be there but as long as the L/H main is pulled out far enough it’s first reflection won’t be coming off of it should keep things more even sounding than anything other than moving the bookshelf and knocking down that wall. ;\)

Cheers,
Dean

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #249763 03/02/09 04:46 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: grunt
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I dunno, Dave, after seeing your room, I'm not sure I want you to see my (extremely) humble abode...

I'd not worry about the amplification for now; you can always add an amp later if need be. My M80s run off of a H/K 75 WPC receiver.

Yeah, I am sort of hoping he doesn’t spot the pictures of the HT room in the house I’m trying to buy. The whole house could almost fit in that room. \:o

You gotta be kidding me. When I see some of the dedicated home theaters (like Sirquack's) my jaw just drops! Some of these folks have some pretty amazing HT rooms. Oh, and it seems "everybody else has a zillion giga watts of power!!! (sighs... I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.) \:\) Like I said above, I am a low key guy that got pretty lucky with this place. :o)

Dave

davekro #249764 03/02/09 04:49 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: davekro
I gotta learn how to split up quotes like Dean did above. would be so much easier. Maybe there is a FAQ I will find.

If you want to create separate quotes enclose each segment inside “quote” tags like below.

Code:

[quote]

Text to be quoted goes here.

[/quote]

If you want to note who you are quoting use this:

Code:

[quote=persons name you‘re quoting]

Text to be quoted goes here.

[/quote]

P.S. Note those are brackets [ ] not curly braces { }. Hard for me to tell the difference on the screen so I figured I’d clarify.

Cheers,
Dean

Last edited by grunt; 03/02/09 05:08 AM. Reason: Dyslexia

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
fredk #249765 03/02/09 04:53 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Dave. On the M22 as center question, they certainly work as both Alan and I use them for this. From a frequency response perspective they have a slightly better bottom end than the VP150, however, from a power handling/volume perspective it is a different story.

The VP150 has a sensitivity of 91db and power handling of 400w vs 87db and 150w for the M2. The vp150 will play noticably louder. The M2 might be just fine in your room in a dual configuration. I would ask Alan. I suspect he will know.

Fred,
What do you mean "in a dual configuration" ? Do you mean wiring them together to get a 4ohm pair? I'd guess the sensitivity for dual M2' would still be 87dB. I'd worry that M80's with 95db, might overpower the dual M2 centers. I guess that is why you said... Check with Alan. :o)

Dave

Zimm #249766 03/02/09 05:00 AM
davekro Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
Again, just talking about ideas, I get WAF, etc. But the rears not being equidistant is not as critical. the front image is more important - as I understand it. My Q's are not equidistant in the rear, but heading this advice regarding the fronts was very helpful in improving the imaging of my system for music. For HT not a big change except for bass evening out. With bigger speakers you might find the equal spread across the front to actually look better too.

Just ideas.

Zimm, I appreciate all ideas. with all the variations I have thought of, you guys keep coming up with more and very creative ideas. It is extremely interesting and helpful. I have to brainstorm and put ideas out to the world (you guys \:\) ) and I get better ones back. :o) I really have a good feeling that with all your guy's help, I will be able to get the most out of my room sound wise as my limited wallet can afford. \:\)

Dave

davekro #249768 03/02/09 05:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: davekro

Fred,
What do you mean "in a dual configuration" ? Do you mean wiring them together to get a 4ohm pair? I'd guess the sensitivity for dual M2' would still be 87dB. I'd worry that M80's with 95db, might overpower the dual M2 centers. I guess that is why you said... Check with Alan. :o)

By dual configuration Fred means running them in parallel off the same output which your correct will create a 4ohm load, which my Denon 2807 handles just fine. Typically one would place one speaker above and one below the screen. Some people even do this with 2 VP150s.

Hate to say it but M80s can overpower any center but another M80s. I know that’s why I switched to an M80 center:

A VP150 should keep up with the M80s just fine at reasonable volumes.

Cheers,
Dean

P.S. The answer is no I’m not married. ;\)

Last edited by grunt; 03/02/09 05:05 AM.

grunt #249769 03/02/09 05:07 AM
shareholder in the making
Hey Dave, actually the baby's due in April (hopefully), but my wife and son are going to be out of town for a couple of weeks in March--which greatly expands my availability for playing loud stuff! It's an apartment probably about the same size as Adam's...and my son is not a very heavy sleeper.

Let me know if you still want to hear the M80s, and we'll see what we can work out, probably around the 20th-22nd or something along those lines, as I'll be on business travel for four days before that and four after.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
davekro #249770 03/02/09 05:21 AM
Dave, whenever two widely separated speakers play the same sound the result is a 3dB increase in loudness at the same power level, which is in effect a 3dB increase in sensitivity. If the two are very close, their drivers mutually support each other and up to another 3dB gain in loudness is possible, for a total gain of 6dB.

No speaker can "overpower" another one if they're calibrated to equal levels. Of course if one is intentionally allowed to play louder than another, that's another matter.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (2x6spds), 880 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup