Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Pictures of real wood speakers
davekro #251085 03/10/09 02:59 PM
shareholder in the making

I'm not so sure that Axiom isn't already offering the best option: real-world samples of the finish in question.

Although I'm certainly attracted to sites that have gorgeous photography, it's really not the most accurate way for people to see color. Monitors, if not calibrated, will each show the photographs differently. And although a real-room photo of the side of a speaker with a highlight reflect will show the difference between a matte, semi-gloss or gloss finish, people can have a hard time putting two and two together.

"Hmmm, I think I like the Walnut with the Bordeaux stain, but in trying to decide on the semi-gloss or gloss, the photos are of a Cherry speaker with cinnamon stain".

There are SO many combinations of wood, stain and then gloss level, that photographing real-world speakers would be near impossible. Axiom would have to build these one-offs, photograph them, then cannibalize them or, in essence, throw them out. Don't forget the custom grill cloth colors, too.

I think Axiom would benefit from some nice photos of Axioms in real-world, attractive settings. Probably part of the reason they've never done that is that they don't spring for nice photos for magazine ads.

But to cover all the options that they have available, and not have issues with a customer who wrongly-ordered a custom finish on $4K worth of speakers because he's using a poorly calibrated monitor, I think sending an actual sample of the actual finish is the best that could reasonably be done.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #251098 03/10/09 04:00 PM
I agree with Mark here. I can move my browser between my 3 (supposedly identical) monitors on my desk and see 3 different colors. The physical sample is the best way to go.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
davekro #251099 03/10/09 04:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: davekro

(rant over)
Boy Zimm, I did not know I was so affected by this. \:\)

I know its strange; and I don't even have the problem because I needed black on mine - no debate. I guess I'm just getting to emotionally invested in Axiom. Hate to see them working against their own interest on something so simple, yet so fundamental to the buying process.

And Mark, I hear you, but have to disagree. There is clearly some risk with a customer not liking the product upon receipt as compared to the photo. Of course you have to add the customary warning that pics subject to your video card, etc., and real wood is never identical. But that is well traveled terrain in Internet wood and furniture industry - and this is a furniture purchase in some respects. But you still have the 30 day period and the current minimalist arrangement seems to threaten that scenario of disappointment more than putting up better photos. I have been shocked at the finish quality of the owner pics versus the Axiom web pics - and don't think most were pro photos (no offense folks!) They have to have most of the finishes available on most models within a year or two period. And a demo room with furniture can be rented for a week of photos. Heck, with digital, they can probably get 100 rooms and just paste the speakers in in. Spielberg could do it!
The samples are a nice idea, but you miss an entire group of people who are accustomed to the speed of Internet shopping.

If this was not an Internet only company I could write it off as just not being their business model. But for Internet only, you got to embrace all the Internet has to offer. Look at PSB, or B&W, or Vienna. All have fantastic images of the speakers that really highlight the aesthetic side. And since that is a huge part of the purchase for many people, Axiom should do better on that front. Just one customer/potential customer's opinion - but that customer makes a damn good point. \:\/

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #251120 03/10/09 04:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have to agree with everybody.....no, I am not running for office. I think that the photos leave something to be desired. Photography is one of my hobbies and I am the first to second (so to speak) the comments that poorly or non-calibrated monitors can not render true color. But....the photos are a good starting place and the better the photo....well...the better.
The samples...now there's a concept. THAT is an excellent marketing / selling point. When I am really close to purchase, I will order - most likely the warm cherry custom vinyl and the real cherry wood in one or two of the finishes - like cinnamon. At one point the cost of the samples would apply to your purchase. Does anyone know if that is still the case? If so - it seems unlikely that if I ordered 3 samples - would the entire amount for all 3 samples apply to the final purchase?......Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #251124 03/10/09 04:56 PM
When I was purchasing my M50s several years ago, I got 4 custom vinyl samples. The whole amount was credited towards my purchase, and I didn't have to send the plaques back. I don't know if things have changed.

Adrian #251135 03/10/09 05:35 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Mike, you could ask Axiom for a sample to help your decision. Small price to pay, to make the right choice.

I ordered all three stock samples. It was easy to tell that the Boston Cherry was too dark for our taste because it is so much stronger than the Beech and Maple. I did not feel I could make an a decent choice between those two, seeing just the 8"x 10" stock sample plaques. Maybe that is just me.

Mark, you make a good point. My post may have been on the harsh side. I still think that, as you say, a number of good photos of the three stock finishes in multiple decors would be of a big benefit. Three speaker colors with one black cover, one nude. Having buttons to swap colors, like some on the site would be best. But I have no sense of how much is involded to do that. Anyway, the three main finishes would cover the lion's share of their sales, I'd guess.
(went a bit over my 2¢ on this topic... I'm through now ;o)

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."
Ken.C #251137 03/10/09 05:44 PM
aficionado
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
When I was purchasing my M50s several years ago, I got 4 custom vinyl samples. The whole amount was credited towards my purchase, and I didn't have to send the plaques back. I don't know if things have changed.

I just ordered my Axioms last Friday. Without asking, Brent said he'd send me a return authorization to get my money back on the 3 samples. I guess it works just like the 30 day return policy. Makes total sense. They essentially 'loan' out the samples until you are done with them. They send them back out to the next requestor. They just keep a certain quantity of each o/h to rotate out, then return.

Dave

davekro #251139 03/10/09 05:50 PM
Guess it has changed then. I probably shouldn't have posted about my experience there.

Ken.C #251142 03/10/09 05:59 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken, Totally valid. Same turnout. The samples do not cost you but a few buck return freight. That's the point either way

Dave

davekro #251144 03/10/09 06:12 PM
I don't think you sounded harsh.... I think you and Charles make good points.

I agree that they need more / better photos of speakers in an environment. Reviewing some magazine ads for B&W or Snell or Revel or KEF .... or..... well, just about anyone and it's easy to see that Axiom doesn't have any of those types of photos.

I'm just saying that to do so with every wood, in every stain, in every finish, with each grill cloth is a hercelean task and would require them to produce many, many hundreds of speakers, some of which in less popular woods and less popular stains and less popular finishes might not get turned around for years.

And then what happens to the person that says the Maple wood, chestnut-stain, semi-gloss looks good on that M80 in the photo... but I wonder how it would look on a little M2??!!??

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,288 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup