aficionado
LOL @ Y'ALL

Re: Quote on Main Page
#25526 11/21/03 07:46 PM
snippy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Yes I was just trying to start a debate because I was bored, but I still think the quote sounded dumb. I just thought it made the main page look kind of cheesy.

And I am 22, not 17. Please do not take cheap shots. I was not taking one against someone here at this forum, I was just trying to see if anyone agreed with me. To me, someone saying Ya'all in written text all the time is like someone from the Bay area typing "hella" or someone from Orange County typing "dude" or "like" all the time. I am from O.C. and I say dude way more than I should, but I do not type it in emails and posts. I think it would make me sound dumber than I already do.

#25527 11/21/03 07:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I agree.

#25528 11/21/03 09:54 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Well, all of 22 ? Alright then..
Cheap shots.. If that was not what you yourself took, what do you call it ? The idea that many people actually talk different than you, and that they may actually write and/or type the same way they talk, is a concept you are either unable to comprehend, and/or are not comfortable with..
Interesting..
Look, kid, (and I mean that in an endearing way), one of the basic (If not THE basic) facts of life: For every action, there is and equal and opposite reaction..
This, my friend, is undeniable..
So, it may not be as much fun, but if you can spend a few nano seconds thinking about what you are about to do or say, you may find a better way to do or say it ? If at all...
PS: Nooooobody that lives here really calls it the "OC".. (Oops.. Was that a cheap shot ?)...

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#25529 11/21/03 10:32 PM
shareholder in the making
Mikey,

I agree with the sentiment you are trying to relay to snippy. Even though he says he was just trying to start a debate, he does come across as a little bigoted.

Because I am an equal opportunity finger pointer, I feel the need to say that you aren't exactly coming off squeaky clean in this. Sure, you're older and probably a bit wiser, but nobody takes well to a derogatory and lecture-like tone.

Nanoseconds...

#25530 11/21/03 10:44 PM
snippy Offline OP
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I call it the O.C now because I no longer live there, but I grew up there for 18 years. And I love the fact that that stupid show is actually filmed in Malibu.

Yes, I may come off like a bigot, but some things just get to me, and "hella" and "Ya'all" are some words that get to me. I also cannot stand people who say "take 101 to 5". I have to say "take THE 101 to THE 5". Wierd, I know, but when you live in Central California and are from Southern California, there is a stupid debate between the different speaking styles of Southern and Northern California. There is even a popular clothing company called "NorCal" that stemmed from it. Stupid, I know, but something I have to deal with on a daily basis at College. Sorry to bring it here to Ya'all! (I couldn't resist).

#25531 11/21/03 11:04 PM
Them's just words. At some point everyone -- including me -- has to realize that words are meant for communicating. As long as you understand what the other person is trying to say, the words have served their purpose. I mean, we're not writing dissertations here, are we?

#25532 11/21/03 11:09 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Yeah, I know, it's the 'Becker' in me.. And yes, it comes with age.. haha.. Way too much age as I pause to reflect..

#25533 11/21/03 11:36 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Hey, it's good to hear you are not taking this all the wrong way, and can see the humor in it.. (here and there).. There's hope for ya yet kid.. !! haha..
Never used the term bigot, eh..
Hope it all sounded more like someone's ol' man ? haha.. Capn' Bligh got nothin' on me an MY ship ! Aaaaarrrrrrr.. At least, that's what my 3 kids are always saying ?? hahahaha..
I guess it's a good thing you're not going go college in Main.. But then, ya can't get there from here.. hahahaha

#25534 11/21/03 11:48 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You guys are driving me crazy

American English is a hopelessly convoluted and deficient language. Most other civilized countries have different words for the second-person singular and the second-person plural, but not us. No no no. That's why I had been CRUSADING for formal adoption of "y'all" as the plural of "you".

Until, that is, it was pointed out to me by an esteemed colleague from the South that "y'all" IS singular and the appropriate version of the second-person plural is really "all y'all".

While I'd have to agree with Peter that, especially in the context of an internet forum, language is just a means for us to communicate with one another, I would also like to submit that there is elegance in precision and great writing is of lasting value. Repetition of poor or imprecise writing degrades our culture incrementally.

I am reminded of a couple of things - first, in an earlier life, I was a Historian. The grace, truth and deliberation with which even common people used to write letters remains an elegant testament to their life experiences. Particularly compelling examples come from soldier letters during the War between the States.

Likewise, the phrase "man of letters" has long been used to convey a sense of scholarly proficiency.

No, we're not writing for books or academia here. And I am tremendously grateful for the kindness, thoughtfulness and civility under which this forum operates; it is why I continue to reside here. AND, to others, how we express ourselves is often "who" we are.

Man, those books on tape sound great on my Axioms.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020