Axiom M80ti vs. Thiel CS.5
#2625 04/12/02 08:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a $1500 budget for a pair of speakers used for 2-channel music listening. I've narrowed the decision down to the either the Axiom 80ti or the Thiel CS.5. I was pretty sure I was going to purchase a pair of Thiels (which I can get my hands on for $1250), but all the Axiom publicity is making me curious to compare the two. Since, I'm planning to pair the main speakers up with either a Velodyne HGS or REL Qseries subwoofer (both of which I can also get at a very nice discount), the M80ti's superior bass extension shouldn't be a factor in the decision. I'm more interested in transparency, transient response, and tonal balance in the midrange and high frequencies. Anyone, especially Alan, Ian, or Amie, have any thoughts on comparing the two?

Re: Axiom M80ti vs. Thiel CS.5
#2626 04/13/02 01:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Anonymous,

The M80ti's superior bass extension should be a factor in your decision. You forget that a subwoofer covers only the frequencies below 100 Hz, and there's all kinds of upper bass information above that frequency. I can't comment on that specific Thiel (I haven't heard it) but I'd wonder how linear its response is in the upper bass and especially the midrange.

Axiom has a huge advantage in having access to the National Research Council anechoic chamber and double-blind testing labs in Ottawa, Canada, a facility that few American manufacturers can afford. Ian uses those facilities to measure and fine-tune his speaker designs.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2627 04/13/02 03:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Thiel is a manufacturer of a range of quality speakers. There product range contains good to very good performers. I would place the model you are looking at in the very good category. Jim Thiel is an outstanding designer, who does not release substandard products. Thiel offers a complete finish range, which does not add to sonic qualities, but does complete the piece. In my opinion, this is a factor if you want an exceptional piece.

With all due respect to Ian and Alan, it may be true that Thiel does not have access to the Canadian NRC facilities, do not take this as a measure of a products quality. The comments on this would lead one to believe that they do not perform any testing. This is of course not true.

If at all possible, listen to the models. I realize this can be an issue for the Axioms, as they seemingly are do not have dealers in all areas of the world.

#2628 04/13/02 09:06 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
As for bass extension, the Axiom M80ti extends down to a rated 35Hz, while the Thiel CS.5 extends down to a rated 55Hz. Both the Veldoyne and REL subwoofer can easily be crossed over at 80Hz, which is why I don't think frequency extension should be a major factor in deciding. I'm more interested in the tonal balance of the midrage above 80Hz and the high frequencies, imaging, soundstage, ease of placement, etc.

Unfortnuately A/B/ audtioning the speakers is very hard to do. I can't find a single Axiom dealer in the entire U.S. to audition them for myself, and Thiel dealers aren't exactly easy to find either. A list of each speaker's strengths, as compared to the other, would be very handy though, if anyone who has auditioned the two would care to list them. Thanks.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 1,035 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup