Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: OPPO question
th3at3rguy #264557 06/25/09 07:04 AM
shareholder in the making
Okay, Guy, I've read this now, but I'm not really following the problem. If multi-channel source material is being played but you have only the two main front speakers then 2-channel down mix is the correct result. If your mains are set "large" or "full range" they'll get all the bass and only LFE(low frequency effects), which aren't present most of the time in movies, would be sent to the sub. If you set a "plus" type of setting for the sub then the sub would also get the low bass which the mains are playing.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #264583 06/25/09 05:57 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I don't know whether or not this has any bearing on the issue but in checking the specs of the 772, everything out of HDMI is processed via PCM. I have a BDP83 and shortly after I got it I experimented, in stereo only, with both the analog and HDMI connections to see how they would compare. Both were pretty similar with the edge going to the HDMI connection with a slightly stronger bass. There wasn't the sub issue that has been described. With standard DVD, of course, from my experience and as JohnK noted, the AVR will automatically downmix to two channel BUT it shouldn't affect the bass. I can't really speak for the new lossless codecs because I have never tried it, however, intros to Blu-Rays, like standard DVDs, are usually two channel only and it still shouldn't affect bass reproduction.

In the end, the AVR takes its lead by how the player is set up. If your sending everything out bitstream(via HDMI) then the decoding, speaker levels and LFE set-up would be all done thru the receiver and obviously that is the way you want it. As you know, the BDP83 has the excellent simplified start-up wizard which makes sure everything is the way it should be especially making sure the HDMI connection is in the "advanced" audio mode. That might be worth another look.

casey01 #264604 06/25/09 08:50 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
It doesnt affect bass reproduction but NOTHING is going to the sub when I use the oppo nothing in movies or music but the Oppo shows it is multi channel so it would have to be the AVR but when I play a movie thru my xbox on the same HDMI on my AVR it goes thru the sub. It doesnt make any sense.....frustration setting . My AVR goes to auto surround mode with the xbox but goes to 2 channel down mix or stereo with blu ray and it wont let me choose anything else. But the AVR knows I only got the 2 fronts and a sub so I am sure once I get the complete 5.1 in 2 weeks everything will be fine. But if anyone has any ideas on how to get my sub to work with bluray please let me know. Thanks everyone.

Last edited by th3at3rguy; 06/25/09 09:29 PM.
th3at3rguy #264606 06/25/09 09:40 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I must admit I am somewhat stumped as to why you are experiencing the issue you are with the Oppo. Once again, as a reminder,as per the Oppo set-up wizard you MUST put the HDMI connection in "advanced" and "bitstream" mode for the receiver to read the signal properly. The S/N is a 1.3 HDMI receptive and that is the only way you are going to get the soundtracks, especially with Blu-Ray discs. The only other way is by the analog connections but that adds more cables and limits your crossover setting capabilities. Unfortunately, the only other way is for someone with expertise and another set of eyes to try to solve the problem. Sometimes it is something very simple. HDMI connections need continuity all the way thru the system other wise they don't work properly.

th3at3rguy #264638 06/26/09 03:49 AM
Guy, as I commented before, if you set your mains to "Small" or with a crossover frequency(probably 80Hz)if the SN doesn't use "Small", then the sub should get the bass redirected from the mains.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #265488 07/06/09 03:38 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well I never did get this solved but I get the rest of my system this week.... YEA....So I guess it doesnt matter now I cant wait to listen to everything in 5.1 I may get a bigger sub I only have the EP175. Then again its all crammed in my bedroom. Thanks for everyones input.

th3at3rguy #265672 07/08/09 01:16 PM
S
hobbyist
hobbyist
S
Make sure that you turn off the secondary audio, if you are sending bitstream. I believe that you only get downmixed audio if it is on. Check out the FAQ link on the first page of the Oppo thread at AVS.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,228 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup