Print Thread
Rate Thread
questions, need some advice
#26604 12/01/03 03:47 AM
T
tezelle Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have several questions. I'll just spout out some info and then ask the questions.

room is 20x20, cathedral 12'
cannot be large obtrusive towers
my questions are only for the mains, sub is taken care of, not going for center or rears just yet.

1. how is the vertical imaging on the m60? the reason i ask is because i've listened to several small towers from b&w and jmlab and did not get the nice effect when standing up...ie being above the tweeter level (i didn't have this problem when listening to martin logans). My wife likes to have visitors over for wine tasting etc...most people are standing up, I would like for them to sound very good from any angle, and i don't feel like dishing out the $ for martin logans.

2. would the m2 or m22 hanging from wall stands pointing downward be ideal? would they fill the room?

any and all advice is of course welcome

thanks

Re: questions, need some advice
#26605 12/01/03 04:05 AM
devotee
devotee
m22 would be better then m2 for that room.
And if you are "wine tasting" it seems like you might be able to gather funds for a center channel!! A center channel would be excellent for dispersing sound to any corner of the room.
But m22 would be perfect for playing music in that room. The m60 would be more authorative in the bass department though.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26606 12/01/03 04:08 AM
shareholder in the making
Hawkson,

If you think you need to be rolling in the dough to do "wine tasting", you should seriously re-evaluate the great wine bargains available these days.

#26607 12/01/03 04:14 AM
tezelle,

If you're interested more in good "environmental" sound rather than good "serious listening" sound (i.e. sitting in the sweet spot and paying full attention to the music), I think wall mounted M2s would be the ideal speaker, especially if you already have a subwoofer. If your receiver can drive two pairs of speakers, I'd recommend buying 4 M2s and mounting them near the 4 corners of the room.

I wouldn't recommend mounting them too high on the walls, though, as almost any speaker suffers from diminished detail when you listen off axis.

#26608 12/01/03 04:41 AM
devotee
devotee
oh. my bad.
i thought it was customary after a wine tasting festival to go in to the back room and roll around in dough. Kind of like an afterhours party.

If you havent tried it its a lot of fun. its kind of like swimming in money, but there is no water.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26609 12/01/03 05:51 PM
devotee
devotee
"i didn't have this problem when listening to martin logans" -------------------------------------------------Really? I'm a ML owner, and have been for some time. One thing I have always noticed from ML's is that blind effect. Gaps in sound. As a proud owner of Ascents I'm still amazed with what it can do, but it still suffers when you stand up from the sweet spot. The ML's are fantastic speakers if you stick with the Ascents, Odyssey, or Prodigy, but anything else in the line is just not worth the price IMO. As for the M60's I personally felt the outperformed the Scenario's in many areas, and the M60's are $1200 less. Same with the VP150, and Cinema center. The VP150 wasn't as "open" but it was so much clearer and detaled than the Cinema at 1/4 the cost. I have since sold my Scenario's (which I used as rears) and Cinema center, and the Ascents I put in my wifes room for 2ch listening only. I will say the ML's are a little nicer to look at, but performance is what counts.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044