Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Why are Axioms so inexpensive-a thought
#26617 12/01/03 06:29 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
I was wondering how it is Axiom is able to offer such an outstanding at such a great price. Has axiom discovered a breakthrough in the technology? Or are they just charging legitimate prices for speakers(and everyone else is ripping us off). It seems as though Axiom could charge a lot more and be a decent company. Although doing that wouldnt be feasible for an internet only company. In any case, why is Axioms are so inexpensive for the product they offer? I do realize axiom is able to lessen its costs by not having to deal with many issues large mass market speaker companies deal with. But even still why is it Axiom is so much cheaper?

hopefully this subject is not too sensitive and maybe the Axiom creators can give insight.

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
Re: Why are Axioms so inexpensive-a thought
#26618 12/01/03 07:31 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Hawk, my view is that your third sentence is close("everyone else" is too broad, of course). The more you study about audio, the more you'll learn, I trust, that the correlation between price and quality is quite low and that audio is rife with rip-off artists or outright charlatans charging outrageous prices for equipment.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#26619 12/01/03 04:23 PM
local
local
I believe that their is no one factor as to why Axiom speakers are such a good value. First I believe is Axiom's desire and intent to make excellent speakers available at the best price. Everything else derives from this original intent as opposed to say the intent to make the best speakers at any price, or to be the most proffitable speaker vendor. You then design everything with an eye to price/performance. This includes everything from all the materials and manufacturing methods of the driver's, crossovers, cabinets and finishes. Looking at Axiom speakers, nothing is of the highest quality or most expensive materials. But everything is very well done. This is the art of industrial design, the faster, cheaper, better approach which relies heavily on the skill of designer. It is not the individual parts themselves which determine the outcome, but how well they all do what they need to in relation to the whole. To me this is a high form of art because it is one of the most difficult things to do. It is easier to spend more time and money to get the result you want than to do it with lessor materials more quickly. The trick is knowing exactly what is essential and what is not and the best way to do it.

Then there are economies of scale, being a supplier to other OEM's. There is also the opportunity provided by being an internet only direct sales company. I believe that this relatively new channel provides great new business opportunites that were not available ten years ago. I bought Axiom speakers essentially through the unpaid sales force of other enthusiastic Axiom owners sharing their enthusiasm free over the net. Other companies also seem to be able superior products at great prices this way. One thing I notice is you don't get a bewildering array of new, slightly changed products every year or even every few months. Sometimes these products are slow to keep up with the latest technology changes and this becomes a drawback. On the other hand you usually get a solid product which performs well through its life.

Mark
#26620 12/01/03 04:48 PM
old hand
old hand
If I may add my 2 cents to this, companies like Axiom are taking the harder way out to exist. Low margins + high sales volumes = good profits. Most other companies who also make good stuff typically follow the High margins + low volumes = Still good profits. But the difference would be that with the former method, there is a tremendous loyal customer base built up though the gestation period is higher. But the foundation becomes so rock solid that there is no need for advertising much at all beyond a point of time. Just word-of-mouth can sustain the brand.

The latter method would involve heavy advertising (costs would be passed on to the customer), aggressive sales strategies etc. If the product is still a good one, then the goodwill of the company is what you pay for more than the value of the product itself.

Customer service would be extremely critical in the second case since after making such a large payment, one would obviously expect a no-hassle service. I might forgive a company of the first type since I would have lower expectations for the price I paid.

Soooooo…..Low prices + Good customer service + A great product = an Axiom speaker (a rare species)

Of course, all this is possible only when there is a true commitment to be the best out there and have total belief in doing the best thing possible.

Gee, I still love my M3s!

#26621 12/01/03 10:18 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
i have heard they make other companies drivers. That would lead towards economy of scale. Which companies do they make drivers for?

I think its something else though that makes the axioms so innexpensive. Everyone raves about there extremely precise and detailed highs, that are only found in much more expensive models. Maybe all the research upon in Canada has lead them to find a better driver design

Once You Pop You Can't Stop
#26622 12/01/03 10:51 PM
local
local
In reply to:

Maybe all the research upon in Canada has lead them to find a better driver design

Perhaps all the beer and hockey make it easier to find the highs

"thank you, thank you...I'll be here all week!"

And no, that joke made no sense.

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#26623 12/02/03 01:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Actually, the beavers & the elves work priddy cheap, eh! (Plus, the government subsidizes their wages.)

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
#26624 12/02/03 11:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I heard the drivers come from China - no high cost there. The cabinets are MDF - no high cost there. The veneers are vinyl - easy to install and inexpensive to boot. There are no retailers with whom to share profits. Hey... maybe they should lower the prices a little, huh?

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044