Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: More Non-aidio advice question -- bikes.
MarkSJohnson #266611 07/20/09 04:35 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Correct.

And in keeping with Peter's patriotic warm and fuzzies, Opus is a Canadian company out of Montreal.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #266616 07/20/09 04:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Congrats on the new Opus, Murph. (::picturing the Great Gazoo riding around PEI on a shiny new bike, saying to gawking onlookers in a condescending voice..."What is it now, dumb-dumb?"::)

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #266627 07/20/09 06:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Congrats! Enjoy.

oldskoolboarder #266683 07/21/09 11:55 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks all. Your knowledge came in handy with the in store chats so that they spent more time with me instead of dismissing me as just another guy in midlife who'd be happy as long as the bike was bright, shiny and expensive.

Actually, I've been in midlife crisis since I turned 20 so I'm getting better at making better impulse buys.

Last night, I strapped my cell phone to a daypack along with all my 'on call' needs and hit one of the sections of our "Rails to Trails" trail.. It was such an HUGE improvement in ride and it almost felt too easy to peddle. It felt like I had an electric assist bike compared to my old. Try as she might, my wife couldn't get ahead of me and keeping pace with her was a casual thing instead of a frantic blur of feet.

I also had the new helmet so unfortunately now people get mad when I call them "Dumb Dumb."

Murph #266724 07/21/09 05:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds good.

Something consider, if your bike has the eyelets (rack mounts). I try to use my car as little as possible on weekends and w/ the kids. I converted one of my bikes (fixed gear) to a kid hauler and put a rear rack on it. Then I got 2 rear, water-proof panniers. I can shove a few bags of groceries, several kids backpacks, lunch and blankets, etc into those bags. Much easier to deal w/ vs the added weight on my back. I used to think it was kinda nerdy (and it still is) but in the SF Bay Area, bike culture and tech geeks go hand in hand now. I'm all for convenience.

oldskoolboarder #266857 07/22/09 01:00 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I hear ya! Although I have been known to bike the 2-3 km to my local grocery store/gas station and stuff a couple of essentials in my backpack, I live in a rural area so the non-recreational use of my bike is pretty limited.

Although I'll never move back to the city, I think I would really enjoy biking to work most days and not having to worry about parking and gas consumption.

Murph #268219 08/05/09 01:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm up in Whistler doing some riding for a week. No downhill, I'm more of a XCer. Man, there's a bunch of nice trails here. WAY different than Norcal. AND, the ratings are slightly above ours. Much fun, weird to be somewhere North that's hotter than Cali too. I've never ridden raised bridges before and it kinda scares me. But a local helped me out and showed me some trails and guided me on the woodwork. I'm not an expert but at least now I'll try it.

I have to say that the food here in Whistler has been phenomenal. I picked this place, thinking there's a lot of upgrades because of the upcoming Olympics. The seafood is off the chain. Coming from California, this place has some of the best sushi I've had, including parts of Asia and several islands in Hawaii. We did Araxi which is also on Hell's Kitchen. Years ago it was good, but not anymore. I ordered 3 things and ALL of them were gone because they ran out. Unacceptable for a restaurant of that calibre. Rimrock Cafe has been one of my favs.

Didn't realize Monday was BC day, a little crowded but now most people are gone. Some police and fire up her for their World Games and Saturday all the grommets (kids) will be up from Crankworx. Thankfully I'll be gone by then.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 08/05/09 01:31 AM.
oldskoolboarder #268247 08/05/09 03:38 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like you're having a great time. DON'T break a leg!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,030 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup