Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Epic Grandmaster and amplifier
fredk #271403 09/02/09 02:00 AM
J
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Haha Fred, I'm sure I would feel the same way had I plopped down the extra cash. You can have your extra 10% no prob.
And yes, I am enjoying my setup a lot except for one small issue. One of my tweeters arrived with two small dings in my tweeter dust cap. They are only cosmetic blemishes but they instructed me to try and pull them out with scotch tape and if they don't pull out they will send me a new driver no questions asked. Talk about service!!!!

Just wanted to note that I have read some other posts in the forum about some people feeling that Axioms are harsh in the high frequencies. I don't quite understand how anyone could possibly get that impression. In my experience I haven't heard a speaker so smooth and laid back.

I was wondering if I should try and setup Audyssey as I only have my 2 fronts and center channel for the moment? Is Audyssey mainly for 5 or 7 channel or should I just try it out and see how it sounds?

jumbo_tron #271405 09/02/09 03:23 AM
shareholder in the making
Anthony, good to hear how you're enjoying the great sounds through your Axioms.

The tweeter is just a metal dome and it's the mid-woofers which have a dust cap in the center. I assume that the metal in the tweeter wasn't actually the part damaged?

All speakers are affected by room acoustics, so sure, when you have some time, experiment with Audyssey, using the procedures suggested in the AVS Audyssey thread.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #271408 09/02/09 04:18 AM
J
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Yes, it is the metal dome on the tweeter that is damaged. The damage is more like gouges rather than the result of being pressed in. It looks as if it were hit it with a screwdriver upon installation or something. I don't know who I talked to at Axiom but they said it was a dustcap, which I didn't think it was either. Maybe we just had a misunderstanding or he thought I said mid-woofer possibly.
Either way, they stand by their guarantee!

I think I will try out Audyssey as soon as I get some time. I'm so sad I will be going to Edmonton for work for 3 weeks and I will be without my new speakers.
Carry-on possibly????? haha

Last edited by jumbo_tron; 09/02/09 04:21 AM.
JohnK #271409 09/02/09 04:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
*Edited*... wow, the actual titanium dome is damaged??? That is surprising!!! I would have to agree with you and think they must have thought you meant the dust cap on one of the cones. I didn't think the tweets had a dust cap, but perhaps I'm wrong. But if it's the actual titanium dome, then I don't think you'll be having much luck with scotch tape.

I'm very happy to hear that you are enjoying your Axiom speakers, but I'm afraid I can't agree with you on them being laid back. But perhaps our meanings differ. Usually, when refering to speakers, the term 'laid back' discribes speakers that roll off the top frequencies rather early, so that the bass and midbass dominate the sound presentation. And although there are many people out there that actually prefer this sound to the "crisp" sound of a speaker that plays all the way up, it isn't a truely balanced representation of the original recording. I would assume that what you mean when you say 'laid back' is that they aren't fatiguing to listen to. And I agree, I don't feel they are either. When you read about Axiom speakers (from other audio sites that is), you imagine playing them and shreeking your shoulders up once the volume increases too much because of the piercing treble ripping through our ear cannals and destroying our ear drums... but then you actually give them a listen, and that simply isn't the case.

If that's the case they surely, I agree. But I must warn you, labeling the Axioms as 'laid back' is actually a bit insulting around these parts, as Axiom strives for a true reproduction of the recorded material with no coloration at all. Lol, don't worry, I'm not mad at ya! ;\)

And lastly, I most certainly agree that if every company out there worked with customers even half as great as Axiom works with their customers, oh what a wonderful world this would be!!!

Last edited by Micah; 09/02/09 04:29 AM.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
jumbo_tron #271411 09/02/09 04:38 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jumbo_tron
Out of curiosity, how would I go about hooking up a transducer to my system as I only have 1 sub preout on my receiver? Would I hook it up to an output on the subwoofer amp?

Yes, if the sub passes through the full input to it's output you can use that. (Some subs the out is a high-pass of it's crossover--not so with Axiom, though.) You can also use a Y cable on the sub out on the receiver for the same effect--depending which is closer to your seating position.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Micah #271412 09/02/09 04:43 AM
J
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Dang strike one for me and I just joined like a week ago. You are right, wrong usage of laid-back on my part. I'm not down with all this lingo yet I guess. What I meant was the opposite of shrill sounding (whatever you would call that). For example, the Infinity's in my car are the exact opposite of the Axioms, I would absolutely describe them as shrill. I definately need an upgrade to get those speakers up to the level of my W7 in sealed box!
It's so weird after listening to music in my car for some time and then coming inside and firing up the Axiom's for some real sound. It's like night and day. Now I can't wait to pick up a sub to rattle this apartment building down!!!!!

jumbo_tron #271413 09/02/09 05:05 AM
Yes, the Axiom rep must have misunderstood you; he wouldn't have suggested the scotch tape procedure except on a mid-woofer dust cap. That type of damage on a tweeter dome isn't acceptable and I'm sure that Axiom will replace it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #273977 10/03/09 04:06 AM
J
buff
OP Offline
buff
J
Hey guys sorry to reopen this thread after nearly a month. I finally ordered and received my much awaited SVS PB12 today!!

This thing is a behemoth. I knew it was going to be big, but damn it just seems so much bigger now that its actually in the livingroom. I also received my new tweeter from Axiom in the mail today. I will be ordering my QS8 surrounds this weekend to complete the package.

Now I'm just waiting on some Canare cable and Cardas plugs to start building myself some new cables. Excellent service from both companies, SVS and Axiom. Here are a few pics for your viewing pleasure.

jumbo_tron #273981 10/03/09 05:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cool... had time to listen to it yet?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #273984 10/03/09 05:43 AM
J
J
Nice pics and good looking set up. The PB12 is quite large, even larger than the EP350/500 and only a few inches smaller than my PB13. You should be in for some great LFE.

Might I suggest lifting/tilting the back of the VP150 up a little, it looks to be aimed more upwards and not directly at the main seating area.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,484
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Cork), 1,306 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup