Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How can I get best HT out of this room??
#27464 12/11/03 03:48 PM
MABabs Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'm trying to get a really great home theater experience in this room.

I had pretty much decided on M22s, VP150, and QS8s (3) mainly because of the rave reviews for the surround quality of the QS8s. However, after hearing the M22s won't perform well horizontally, I don't think they'll work where my current mains are and will look awful standing on top of the wall unit.

Please help with other options with the same quality that'll work in this room.

Thanks!

Re: How can I get best HT out of this room??
#27465 12/11/03 05:15 PM
local
local
I would consider M3ti's instead od the M22's. Other's will probably say M2's for better voice matching. I would like to hear what Alan and Axiom would recomend. I would contact them directly with your question.

Mark
#27466 12/11/03 07:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi MABabs,

Although the M22ti was not designed to be used on its side, it still sounds remarkably good in that orientation--better than an M2i used vertically. The worst thing would be to put the M22s on a shelf inside the wall unit. I presume you were thinking of putting M22s on their sides (position the tweeters to the inside) on top, right? Why can't you put the M22ti's on stands to each side or a bit in front of the wall unit?

Another option would be to get three VP150s and the QS8s.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#27467 12/11/03 08:28 PM
MABabs Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Alan,

My original plan was to mount the M22s horizontally above the doors (where the old speakers were) using brackets that could angle them down a bit or on top of the unit, again angled down a bit. From all the reading I gathered they would perform well in that orientation or that high up.

Because of the angle of the picture, it's hard to see that there's only about 6" on each side of the wall unit, including the door moulding. I'm afraid they be bumped too easily as both those doors are frequently used by a 7-year-old. I guess I could use stands and secure the speakers to the wall unit as well, but it'll be a hard sell to the wife.

As for the QS8s, will I get a great HT experience with all three along the back wall (allows using existing wiring) or should I go through the trouble of trying to mount them to side walls?

Thanks.

#27468 12/11/03 10:08 PM
aficionado
aficionado
MABabs,
Do you HAVE to mount the M22's horizontally?

What is the measurement on the left side of the wall unit where the ceiling angles down from the ceiling to the door frame? The right side looks like you would have enough room...it may be possible on the left...On a mounting bracket angled down, mounted vertically, looks like it may work...

Just my .02...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#27469 12/11/03 11:41 PM
shareholder in the making
MAB, looking at your room, the same point WF makes struck me, i.e. isn't there enough space to mount M22s vertically where your DBXs are now? Secondly, why do you say that the vertical M22s wouldn't look good on top of the wall unit(assuming that would give enough separation)?

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#27470 12/12/03 12:05 AM
I agree with JohnK on the first part, but I agree that they would look pretty bad on top of the unit. Too tall, too separated.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#27471 12/12/03 12:13 AM
local
local
I have a pair of M22's a little less than 6' apart on a deep window sill 17' from my listening position against the far wall of my bedroom. I am always amazed at how they fill the room with sound. I think it would be worth experimenting with them placed horizontally angled downward on top of the ET.

Mark
#27472 12/12/03 12:25 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm fascinated by this question.

I looked at it first thing this am, and still do not have a good answer.

However, is it worth considering rearranging the furniture? I know you've got some investment in wiring already, but change can be an opportunity for growth and improvement.

If the "inside the box" solution is the only one, I vote for putting the M22's horizontally, either on top of the furniture or where the existing speakers are (experiment).

I think 3 QS8's on the back wall will totally kick butt.

You'll love Axiom speakers. Let us know how you make out!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#27473 12/12/03 01:57 AM
MABabs Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
This reply is to everyone....

WOW! Thanks for all the feedback. I've posted elsewhere and gotten no replies. Axiom customers seem to be almost like a family!
  • Vertical mount on wall unit: because of their height, I don't think I could sell it to the wife. Not even sure I'd like it.
  • Vertical mount where current speakers are: technically, they would fit and with the proper color selection, I guess it could be done and not look obnoxious. Would have to move security motion detector, no big deal.
  • Rearrange furniture: when we built the house, I had them put a large pass-through in the wall so I can get to back of equipment from in the closet. (I'm in a wheelchair, so this is a big plus!)

So I'm looking at where the old speakers are either vertically or horizontally (about 14' apart), or horizontally on top of wall unit (which is 8' wide). I'm up for experimenting!

Is is likely one or all of these choices is better than switching to M2s or M3s?

Is FMB best mounting idea? Would it work horizontally? We have metal studs here in FL, but I can go straight thru and brace on the other side if necessary.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,480
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020